PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hightower's 5th year option picked up. Jones' likely to be next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly i think even though the 5th year option is picked up Jones still has a lot riding on this year. IDK if they want to pay him that amount.

Patriots exercised their fifth-year 2016 option on RE/OLB Chandler Jones.

boston globe

I think a lot of posters here severely underrate Chandler Jones. From reading here you would believe that a defensive end is either all pro, or he sucks. $7,9M isn't that much for a good to very good defensive end. He would have the 14th highest average pay per year for defesnive ends if we see it as a one year contract. I definitely think that he is worth it.

I think a lot of posters here severely underrate Chandler Jones. From reading here you would believe that a defensive end is either all pro, or he sucks. $7,9M isn't that much for a good to very good defensive end. He would have the 14th highest average pay per year for defesnive ends if we see it as a one year contract. I definitely think that he is worth it.

Yeah, it's a complete layup.

I agree. Chandler Jones is an above average DE who can play elite at times. His struggles against the run have been overstated. He struggled at times this past season, but was pretty decent at it his first two years. He seems like a natural leader.

His biggest concern may be injuries. He has been hampered by injuries in two of his three seasons. If he didn't hurt his hip, he might have had a Hightower type of jump this season.

It takes time for some players to really develop. Look at Willie Mac. While from 1994 to 2000 he was good, he really didn't take his game the next level until BB showed up and had him focus on his overall game.

Jones is serviceable vs the run but IMO really needs to diversity his pass rush moves.

Hopefully Jones has bit more of accelerated, but same career path as Willie.

For the life of me, I've read this thread over a couple of times since reading your post to find where ANYONE here is stating that CJ "sucks". Haven't found it yet.

Gotcha

Not too sure HT @7m is a bargain but if he keeps improving (which is an all-pro level) he no doubt will be.

With Mayo, the fact that hes played 12 games in 2 years and will be 30 in February certainly makes you wonder if he is worth $11m next year- even if he has an all-pro year.

New money is what matters, not total cap charge that includes past backloading. The question is whether or not he's worth $8 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST