High Expectations Have Affected The View Of Brandon Meriweather

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
High Expectations Have Affected The View Of Brandon Meriweather
By: Russ Goldman

Brandon Meriweather's future with the Patriots could be in jeopardy, but I don't think he's as bad as many are making him out to be....

Of course there would not be as much negative talk about BM if he was drafted in the third round and not considered to be the replacement to Rodney. I believe that's the point, BB felt as though Meriweather had enough talent and football IQ to learn the position and eventually step in to that role as the leader of the secondary. The biggest problem I've been hearing with his play is that he freelances too much and as any Pats fan would know, BB hates that. BB loves to tinker with the defense and try new schemes with different players but when it comes down to it, you have to fill your particular role and "do your job."

This article makes a lot of sense, but Meri is still the best current option in the safety position as of the moment.

Chung may have more potential (debateable), but he does not have the experience and turnover causing big play skills that Meri currently has.

I don't see him going anywhere, but anything can happen. I know if he did, it would make a position of strength turn into a position of worry for me. We went from having solid depth with Meri, Chung, Sanders, Page, McGowan, and Brown--to possibly removing half of those players. Chung does many things very nicely for a guy that's only played 2 yrs, but I am not sure how people already think he's better than Meriweather.

To each his own of course. That all said, we already have a 560 page thread on it, so I'm not trying to turn this into part 2.

Definitely some good points about the rd selection/expectations of Brandon in the article.

That and the fact that he isn't very good.:bricks:

I'm not sure what "any good" is in YOUR book? Meriweather is an above average safety who creates big plays. OTOH, he is often caught freelancing, and takes the wrong angles to tackle. Those are the 2 reasons why he is not one of the 'elite' safeties in the game. That said, he's pretty damn solid, and is certainly our best option at the position right now.

I don't suppose you realize that he has one less turnover caused than Polamalu since Meriweather began starting in 2008? That is certainly someone who is playing with the potential to ball-hawk and make big plays, no? Here are 7 good reasons why he's our best option:

1.He has played in all 16 games every single yr (not started, but played)--that counts for something, as it is a rarity to never miss any time due to injury.

2.He is experienced.

3.He is fast.

4.He lays huge hits.

5.He is cost effective, and playing under a rookie deal.

6.His coverage is leagues ABOVE Pat Chung, who hasn't shown us so far that he can cover my grandmother.

7.He has one less turnover caused than someone (Polamalu) who is often considered the 'elite' at his position, and who is coming off of a DPOY award for 2010.

What exactly is your defintion of "not being very good?"

Apparently, you expect zero flaws..or at least lessened flaws. If he didn't have any flaws, he'd be one of the top few safeties in the game. Either way, we're not keeping him going forward after this yr anyway. Who would you rather see playing in his place?

And here are some reasons why he's not considered 'elite':

1.He tends to freelance, or play out of position

2.He takes poor angles in his tackling technique

3.His work ethic/attitude are questioned (although even this is speculation)

-------------------

These are all facts. Not opinions. This leads to believing that he is currently the best option, even though I like J.Sanders too, and I feel that Sanders is a very good depth/team/role player on this squad.

By questioning Meriweather's talent, you are in the midst of the obvious irony of the actual article itself!!

I'm not sure what "any good" is in YOUR book? Meriweather is an above average safety who creates big plays. OTOH, he is often caught freelancing, and takes the wrong angles to tackle. Those are the 2 reasons why he is not one of the 'elite' safeties in the game. That said, he's pretty damn solid, and is certainly our best option at the position right now.

I don't suppose you realize that he has one less turnover caused than Polamalu since Meriweather began starting in 2008? That is certainly someone who is playing with the potential to ball-hawk and make big plays, no? Here are 7 good reasons why he's our best option:

1.He has played in all 16 games every single yr (not started, but played)--that counts for something, as it is a rarity to never miss any time due to injury.

2.He is experienced.

3.He is fast.

4.He lays huge hits.

5.He is cost effective, and playing under a rookie deal.

6.His coverage is leagues ABOVE Pat Chung, who hasn't shown us so far that he can cover my grandmother.

7.He has one less turnover caused than someone (Polamalu) who is often considered the 'elite' at his position, and who is coming off of a DPOY award for 2010.

What exactly is your defintion of "not being very good?"

Apparently, you expect zero flaws..or at least lessened flaws. If he didn't have any flaws, he'd be one of the top few safeties in the game. Either way, we're not keeping him going forward after this yr anyway. Who would you rather see playing in his place?

And here are some reasons why he's not considered 'elite':

1.He tends to freelance, or play out of position

2.He takes poor angles in his tackling technique

3.His work ethic/attitude are questioned (although even this is speculation)

-------------------

These are all facts. Not opinions. This leads to believing that he is currently the best option, even though I like J.Sanders too, and I feel that Sanders is a very good depth/team/role player on this squad.

By questioning Meriweather's talent, you are in the midst of the obvious irony of the actual article itself!!

Thats all well and good Mr Supafly.

But I think you've failed to realise how things work around here.

Merriweather isn't Rodney Harrison so therefore he sucks.

Sucks so bad that we should package next years 1st rounder just to get rid of him.

Sergio Brown will be great.

Until he isn't.

And then we'll have to give away our 2nd rounder so some other team will take him off our hands.

Thats all well and good Mr Supafly.

But I think you've failed to realise how things work around here.

Sucks so bad that we should package next years 1st rounder just to get rid of him.

Sergio Brown will be great.

Until he isn't.

And then we'll have to give away our 2nd rounder so some other team will take him off our hands.

Yes, very true. Very true.

I need to relax and develop more patience at times ;)

But I did find it ironic that the article talks of how many of our expectations are too high w/ him due to first rd status etc, then someone posts that he just 'isn't very good.' LOL.

The terribly funny thing is that I really don't like Meriweather very much, but lately I have found myself defending him b/c many just aren't realistic about him/his talent level.

I still think it'd be best to keep him here for the final yr, but that's for a man with a much greater mind than me to figure out.

Yes, very true. Very true.

I need to relax and develop more patience at times ;)

But I did find it ironic that the article talks of how many of our expectations are too high w/ him due to first rd status etc, then someone posts that he just 'isn't very good.' LOL.

The terribly funny thing is that I really don't like Meriweather very much, but lately I have found myself defending him b/c many just aren't realistic about him/his talent level.

I still think it'd be best to keep him here for the final yr, but that's for a man with a much greater mind than me to figure out.

I feel the same about Merriweather myself.

He seems like the type who will overvalue his own worth to the team - no doubt someone will over pay for him.

Its also kinda late in the day to be regressing in training camp...

But despite all of this he remains our best FS - and as you say, very good value on hs rookie wage.

Merri has the physical tools and the blood lust to be superb. However, he is a meat head. He admits that the coaches tell him what to do, but he changes it up and does what he wants. His private life is chaotic and seems to be a risk to himself and the Pats at any given moment. Also, he is one of the worst 2 time all stars I have ever seen.

It's idiotic to get rid of him just to get rid of him - Brown and Sanders are just not viable. But, when his contract is up, his time here will be done. That's how it works around here.

Last edited:
I have the opinion that Meriweather is just dumb as a fence post and that is what is holding him back. The guy has all the physical tools to be a stud in this league.

People may not want to hear it, and it may be as much an indictment of the overall play at the position right now as it is an endorsement of Meriweather, but Meriweather is a top safety.

Here's ESPN, with him slotted in at #8 overall:

Power Rankings: Top 10 NFL safeties - AFC North Blog - ESPN

It should be noted that the position is such that 17 safeties received at least one top 10 vote.

Meri is hit or miss, literally.

He can make a play to win the game or make a play to cost you the game,

People may not want to hear it, and it may be as much an indictment of the overall play at the position right now as it is an endorsement of Meriweather, but Meriweather is a top safety.

It should be noted that the position is such that 17 safeties received at least one top 10 vote.

Interesting rankings.

Personally I think they have Whitner and Bethea the wrong way around.

Bethea has been one of the few constants in that injury plagued Colts defensive backfield.

The same rankings for LT have Light as #10, and people here don't want to hear that, either. Our standards for our own players have gotten out of control.

Granted Merri isn't worthy of the Pro-Bowl AKA (the Highschool popularity contest run by the NFL players). Merriweather is solid DEPTH and Depth wise we cannot have enough quality DB's. Merriweather is over-hyped, but he is still above the average S in terms of skill and effectiveness.

Last edited:
When you draft a guy at the end of the first round, your expectations are that he contribute his first year and become a starter after that. Merriweather has become JUST that, on a good team. Say what you want about his erratic play. The fact remains that Bill will play the best guy, and clearly the Pats haven't had a better safety out there the last 4 years. Ergo it was a successful pick. Just think of all the S's picked BEFORE him since 2007 who haven't had even his limited success.

Meriweather doesn't "suck". He just isn't very good. He's a mediocre safety who takes bad angles, and gets caught flat footed sometimes. Maybe we've been spoiled by Rodney being so good, which makes Meri sometimes look really bad.

This article makes a lot of sense, but Meri is still the best current option in the safety position as of the moment.

Chung may have more potential (debateable), but he does not have the experience and turnover causing big play skills that Meri currently has.

I don't see him going anywhere, but anything can happen. I know if he did, it would make a position of strength turn into a position of worry for me. We went from having solid depth with Meri, Chung, Sanders, Page, McGowan, and Brown--to possibly removing half of those players. Chung does many things very nicely for a guy that's only played 2 yrs, but I am not sure how people already think he's better than Meriweather.

To each his own of course. That all said, we already have a 560 page thread on it, so I'm not trying to turn this into part 2.

Definitely some good points about the rd selection/expectations of Brandon in the article.

For all of the heat that Merriweather is taking, I believe that he is responsible for the improvement in the middle of the field last year. Before last year every reciever who played the Pats knew that they could go across/down the middle of the field and not pay a price for doing it. Last year, from the very first game, Merriweather made the recievers pay for coming into the center of the field. By the middle of the year recievers were being timid about catching the pass that used to split the middle of the secondary the previous few years. Think about how many more drops there were last year by slot recievers and tight ends, they all started looking for Merriweather and Chung.

Merriweather might be a little bit of a punk, but he hits people, doesn't mind hitting people and inflicts pain when he hits them. The league has gone overboard about protecting the players who cross the middle of the field, Merriweather made sure that even if the league didn't like it, he was going to make sure that they remembered his number and his shooulder pads and occasionally the top of his helmet. He made a difference last year and trading him without finding an equally hard hitter would be a mistake.

Interesting rankings.

Personally I think they have Whitner and Bethea the wrong way around.

Bethea has been one of the few constants in that injury plagued Colts defensive backfield.

I have no idea why Bill didn't jump all over Bethea, a borderline top-100 talent,
with one of his THREE 6th-rounders in the '06 draft, esp. when Geno Wilson had such a
beginning-of-the-end season in '05.
The need to draft Stomper in the 1st round of '07 would therefore have been eliminated.
A Bethea/Rodney then Bethea/Chung Safety combo would have been damn good.

As usual, the same 20 people are trashing Meriweather for not playing like a 1st ballot Hall of Famer.

And it's always funny when I see someone make excuses for Chung and trash Meriweather in the same breath. Chung "freelances" like when he calls for a punt fake in a playoff game and people still can't stop gushing about him. If Meriweather had done that he'd be even more vilified than he already is.

Meriweather is a starting caliber safety in the NFL and deserves his spot in the league. Meriweathe COULD be a superstar caliber safety in the next couple of years on the right team in the right D (which I do not think is here, FWIW).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore