PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hernandez, Vollmer, Wright out; Chung Questionable for Week 3 Pats at Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Vollmer, Hernandez, and Wright out, Chung Questionable for Sunday

My guess is they're keeping Vollmer off of road trips with his bad back, he's missed both road games and played the one home game. The long flight to and from CA would seem to make him unlikely for next week too. Just a guess as plane rides aren't good for sore backs.

Breer tweeted that there's just a legit uncertainly on whether Hernandez is 2 weeks or 4+ weeks :

"What I can say is I think Hernandez believes he'll be back within 2 weeks. Others think it'll be more than a month. Hence, the disconnect."

Last edited:

I just saw a tweet from Rappoport where he speculates that D. Gronkowski is gone and a roster move will come tomorrow as he's no longer on the injury report. Interesting.

Last edited:

My guess is they're keeping Vollmer off of road trips with his bad back, he's missed both road games and played the one home game. The long flight to and from CA would seem to make him unlikely for next week too. Just a guess as plane rides aren't good for sore backs.

Breer tweeted that there's just a legit uncertainly on whether Hernandez is 2 weeks or 4+ weeks :

"What I can say is I think Hernandez believes he'll be back within 2 weeks. Others think it'll be more than a month. Hence, the disconnect."

Reiss believes Hernandez will be back as soon as next week, but does claim it is a guess.

BTW, WEEI claims that Reiss "confirmed" Chung is out although I have not seen it on his blog nor his Twitter. In fact, he just tweeted that Chung and Haynesworth are questionable.

Last edited:

Every time I go to patsfans.com for the next few weeks, I'm going to be cringing--half expecting to see a thread entitled "Vollmer Placed on IR."

I just heard on WEEI that Vollmer, Hernandez, and Wright are definitely out for Sunday. Chung is listed as questionable.

Tom E Curran did say that he is sticking by his 4-6 week estimate for Hernandez, but he said it will be more likely be 4 than 6. He did say that Hernandez will not be available for the Jets game and seemed pretty definite about it.

He is looking like he may be wrong about his Chung being out on Sunday (or at least it isn't as definitive as he and Rapaport reported). So take his Hernandez estimate for what it is worth.

I pretty much assume that Curran's best-guess estimate of injury recovery time is the absolute worst-case scenario that almost certainly won't happen. His track record definitely lends itself to that conclusion.

Every time I go to patsfans.com for the next few weeks, I'm going to be cringing--half expecting to see a thread entitled "Vollmer Placed on IR."

On the bright side, if that happened it might make it feasible to sign him long-term.

I just saw a tweet from Rappoport where he speculates that D. Gronkowski is gone and a roster move will come tomoorrow. Interesting.

Must be because of complaints around the league allowing two Gronks on one team. Hope they dont steal another 1st from the pats.

I pretty much assume that Curran's best-guess estimate of injury recovery time is the absolute worst-case scenario that almost certainly won't happen. His track record definitely lends itself to that conclusion.

From what I can get from listening to him, the 4-6 weeks is what his sources say as a definitive diagnosis. It is tough to tell though. Curran doesn't really perform well with people questioning his sources on this stuff and does kinda get a little defensive in these situations. He definitely acted that way with the Brady story back in 09.

I have no doubt someone told him 4-6 weeks. If there is anything to question about Curran is his judgement on trusting his sources.

If Vollmer's injury is the same issue, I wonder why he played last week. With Solder as a reserve, I hope we sit Vollmer until he's 100%

Curran is reporting what his source(s) told him.

Curran is reporting what his source(s) told him.

Exactly, and he has a track record of reporting the opinions of sources who are unreliable with this stuff. If other people's sources are saying that it will be significantly less than what Curran is quoting, then history has shown that the others are likely correct.

Last edited:

Exactly, and he has a track record of reporting the opinions of sources who are unreliable with this stuff. If other people's sources are saying that it will be significantly less than what Curran is quoting, then history has shown that the others are likely correct.

Other than the Brady injury, what is this history? I don't recall it.

Since he's not healthy, maybe they'll pick him back when he is.

Vollmer looks out, so, I'd guess G. Mills.

Last edited:
Geez we've been bitten by the injury bug. Look at the full report from Friday -

Out
TE Aaron Hernandez (knee)
OT Sebastian Vollmer (back)
DL Mike Wright (concussion)

Questionable
S Patrick Chung (hand)
CB Ras-I Dowling (hip)
LB Gary Guyton (hamstring)
DT Albert Haynesworth (back)
LB Jerod Mayo (thigh)
P Zoltan Mesko (knee)
WR Taylor Price (hamstring)
OL Ryan Wendell (calf)

Probable
CB Kyle Arrington (concussion)
S Josh Barrett (thumb)
CB Leigh Bodden (hand)
LB Dane Fletcher (thumb)

If the guys who are questionable can't go, I'd say we've got some trouble.

Out

Questionable
S Patrick Chung (hand)
CB Ras-I Dowling (hip)
LB Jerod Mayo (thigh)
P Zoltan Mesko (knee)
OL Ryan Wendell (calf)

Probable
S Josh Barrett (thumb)
CB Leigh Bodden (hand)
LB Dane Fletcher (thumb)

Dowling and Chung are most important IMO

Out

Questionable
S Patrick Chung (hand)
CB Ras-I Dowling (hip)
LB Jerod Mayo (thigh)
P Zoltan Mesko (knee)
OL Ryan Wendell (calf)

Probable
S Josh Barrett (thumb)
CB Leigh Bodden (hand)
LB Dane Fletcher (thumb)

And that list doesn't include the guys who went on IR either.

Difficult opponent, partial effect of lockout, effect of not playing on natural grass, just plain bad luck or a combination of all of those factors? I know it's a rather small sample size, but I'd be curious to compare the number and severity of injuries the Pats had to those of the other NFL teams.

Out

Questionable
S Patrick Chung (hand)
CB Ras-I Dowling (hip)
LB Jerod Mayo (thigh)
P Zoltan Mesko (knee)
OL Ryan Wendell (calf)

Probable
S Josh Barrett (thumb)
CB Leigh Bodden (hand)
LB Dane Fletcher (thumb)

Don't worry, Tarpinian will be unleashed!

Re: Week 3 Pats at Bills Injury Updates: Chung Out

Next man up will have to do the job. Do we have a next man up at safety?

Troy Brown's in town

Hmmm - I wonder

I'm starting to think we may lose this game.

Any divisional game on the road has the potential to be a 'problem' game, and should not be over-looked in my opinion.

We've seen this time and again, the MIA X-mas eve game comes to mind late in the 2004 season. I believe that Miami was 2-14 for the yr, while NE was 14-2.

Going to NY, BUF, or MIA are always games that should be taken seriously, and in many instances records can be meaningless, as they will usually put their best foot forward.

It will come down to whether or not TFB can continue his incredible play, whether or not we can remain somewhat error-free, and just 'how bad' the secondary will play; but yes, I am also taking a cautious approach to this game too. Any team with a half-way decent offense right now has the potential to give us problems, especially if we make a mistake or two.

At the end of the day, I'd still take the Pats, but there's no way I'd give all of those points on the road in a divisional game. Especially with some key injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes