PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Heeeee's baaaaaaack!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gronk
Edelman
Lewis
Lafell

Might be our best top 4 weapons ever. 2010-2011 is arguable with Welker/Gronk/Prisoner/Branch and 2012 with Welker/Gronk/Prisoner/Lloyd.

Throw in Amendola/Chandler and this passing offense is silly.
Add full strength of 2015 and top down is better than 07

Martin's no great shakes, and LaFell is, at least somewhat, a product of Brady. Now, before anyone starts getting pissed off about that first sentence, please realize that I phrased it that way in order to set up this question, because I'm thinking about just how well Brady's done with so little on the outside:

When was the last year where the Patriots had a better pairing of "legit" midrange-to-middle/deep outside WRs?

I had to go back to 2008 in my recollection, because I don't consider Branch II to fit that bill as much as he fits a position of slot-to-midrange WR. Does anyone have a different year in mind?
05 Branch & Givens

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. = The New England Patriots announced today that they have activated WR Brandon Lafell to the 53-man roster. Read Lafell was activated from the reserve/physically unable to perform list after being placed on the list on Sept. 5. Last season, Lafell played in all 16 games with 13 starts and posted career highs with 74 receptions for 953 yards and seven touchdowns. He played in all three postseason games and added 13 receptions for 199 yards and two touchdowns.

Patriots activate WR Brandon LaFell to 53-man roster

Martin's no great shakes, and LaFell is, at least somewhat, a product of Brady. Now, before anyone starts getting pissed off about that first sentence, please realize that I phrased it that way in order to set up this question, because I'm thinking about just how well Brady's done with so little on the outside:

When was the last year where the Patriots had a better pairing of "legit" midrange-to-middle/deep outside WRs?

I had to go back to 2008 in my recollection, because I don't consider Branch II to fit that bill as much as he fits a position of slot-to-midrange WR. Does anyone have a different year in mind?
Your first sentence should bring no anger from anyone. It's just the nature of the game. What WR ISN'T to some extent, a product of the QB they played with, just as the QB is to some extent, a product of their WR's. That is the beauty of football. EVERYONE's success or failure is so interrelated with everyone else's,

One of the biggest misnomers that TV marketing has brought to professional sports has been the emphasis of individual players over the team. Before around the 80's, TEAMs won championships. Ever since that time, with every passing decade. the focus of winning has gone further and further from the team and on to the INDIVIDUAL.

The wrongness of it becomes even plainer when we talk about football, because no game is more team-dependant. Just watch tomorrow and see how much more the media talk will be about Brady vs Revis, instead of the Jets vs the Pats. These days its ALL about the individual personalities.

As for Lafell, he is a good NFL WR, but there is no doubt that his play is going to be made better playing with a QB like Brady and an OC like McDaniels. But we've also seen that Brady is an elite QB, maybe the best of all time, but he isn't as good a QB without Gronk as he is with him. Just as when his OL isn't effective his play drops precipitously as well. As we saw the first 4 games last fall. Everybody's success is so dependent on each other.

That surprises me a bit, not that I'm not very happy. I thought it would have taken a week or 2 more after such a long absence from the team. Remember, the last time LaFell has done any work with the team before this week was the Suberbowl. That's almost 9 months ago.

I think the fact that they brought him back so fast really puts the nail on the coffin of Dobson's Patriot career. It's one thing to be the 3rd WR, as he was at the start of the season, but now it looks like he's going to be the 5th.(after Edelman, Amendola, Lafell, and Mack) So he's now going to be nothing more than injury depth. IIRC he doesn't even have much of a ST's role.

Did we ever find out what was wrong with Lafell's foot?

So now there is a traditional receiver for Revis to cover. I admit, although I like Edelman in the upcoming Edelman v. Revis match, I was worried.

Oh, Revis shuts down a rusty LaFell and Edelman goes off. :)

So now there is a traditional receiver for Revis to cover. I admit, although I like Edelman in the upcoming Edelman v. Revis match, I was worried.

Or now if Cromartie covers Gronk and Revis takes Edelman, you have a big time player in LaFell to go to.

Or now if Cromartie covers Gronk and Revis takes Edelman, you have a big time player in LaFell to go to.

Glad he's back. I think it's going to take him at least a couple of weeks to get back into regular season form. I would expect him to be somewhat rusty. Definitely glad he's back though.

That surprises me a bit, not that I'm not very happy. I thought it would have taken a week or 2 more after such a long absence from the team. Remember, the last time LaFell has done any work with the team before this week was the Suberbowl. That's almost 9 months ago.

I think the fact that they brought him back so fast really puts the nail on the coffin of Dobson's Patriot career. It's one thing to be the 3rd WR, as he was at the start of the season, but now it looks like he's going to be the 5th.(after Edelman, Amendola, Lafell, and Mack) So he's now going to be nothing more than injury depth. IIRC he doesn't even have much of a ST's role.
LaFell traveled with the team to the last two games, so he has not been absent from the team. He has not been able to practice, but he has been able to work out, doing rehab, so not really missing all that much.

What will be interesting will be to see how he is used, and how much he cuts into Martin's snaps. I'm wondering if there might be some interesting formations with the two of them both on the field together, to stress the Jets secondary with multiple downfield threats. Definitely looks like Dobson is the loser in the shuffle, he might be the cut to make room for Stork.

Your matchup to watch this week... Brandon LaFell vs. Buster Skrine

Keshawn Martin was acquired and Dobson got shelved. Not much of a mystery, he was replaced by a better player.

I think your post is spot on.
I don't know if Martin is certainly the better player but he is certainly considered the more right/better player for the Patriots by BB and staff. One thing BB considers of the utmost importance is consistency. His view of a player is a 16 game field of view. Those one or two game headline spikes in production don't count for much.
IMHO Dobson definitely has the ability to go out on the field and be productive. The problem is it will be on an irregular basis. That just doesn't work for BB.

I'm sure there are back stories/reasons -- aren't there always? -- but the simple math, as you pointed out, is obvious: (A) Martin is an inexperienced WR who was acquired in season, (B) Martin is an outside receiver which puts him and Dobson in direct competition for playing time, (C) new guy Martin receives playing time while third year Patriot Dobson does not.
Given those facts there is only one conclusion: Dobson's perceived contribution is not considered sufficient and/or consistent enough to best a new and unproven Martin. Ouch. The assumption at this point has to be Dobson is close to out of time to prove his contribution can be sufficient and consistent.

The fact that Dobson doesn't have STs contributions is a major minus for a player at his place on the depth chart. So while I think Dobson has some remaining staying power due to being the only experienced pure outside WR, plus the Patriots have 5 WRs which many consider the minimum for WRs, the not contributing on STs coupled with Martin getting all the meaningful playing time makes Dobson's staying power very thin.

Judging by the thread title, I thought we were seeing the return of NEM. At least Gymrat. C'mon, now.

This. I don't know if Lafell will contribute much today, but it's a good move because at least he covers up one of their cornerbacks. Revis and Cromartie can only cover two, that leaves three of Gronk, Lewis, Edelman and Amendola to be covered by lesser players. So long as the OL can protect him, Brady's going to feast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe