PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Heath Evans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
STILL will not make this team, IMO, but he's going to make SOMEONE'S team with the way he keeps showing up. Good for him to keep plugging away, working his tail off. Only thing that has changed, in my view, is that Patrick Pass is less likely to make the 53 than Heath.

patsox23 said:
STILL will not make this team, IMO, but he's going to make SOMEONE'S team with the way he keeps showing up. Good for him to keep plugging away, working his tail off. Only thing that has changed, in my view, is that Patrick Pass is less likely to make the 53 than Heath.

yeah, heath surprised me with some good plays tonight, even if it was against a bunch of 3rd string players. I really like Patrick Cobbs, though. He's everything I hoped that Cedric Cobbs would be and I hope we have room to keep him on our roster along with Dillon, Maroney, Faulk and Mills as a fullback.

Agree. Dillon, Maroney, Faulk, Cobbs, Mills. That's it. I suppose it's possible to insert Heath Evans and hopes Cobbs goes to the p.s., but I don't know - the kid's looked good. I'd like to keep him.

Last edited:
patsox23 said:
Yeh, the Jets need RB help.

was thinking about this too. If its Cobbs vs Evans and they are both being productive, I think it comes down to who shows more versatility, however. That might be Evans, but we seem to have drafted a similar player in Mills, and I can't see us keeping both either. Pass is gone.

Great to have this conversation though, isn't it? When was the last time the Pats have had this much depth in the backfield? *Maybe* the early eighties ? Can't wait to see how the rushing attack fairs this season.

Whoever is cut, Cobbs or Evans, he is a guy whose number I would like the team to hold onto in case of injury in the future. It might not be possible as they have both looked good, giving them decent chances of getting signed by another RB starved team.

The thing that struck me was that ALL of the Backs did a good and aggressive job sticking thier noses in there on blitz pickup.

These guys are all "Football Players". No surprise there.

Good work, Ivan.

I remember one play in particular where Cobbs picked up a blitzing lb and drove him past Cassel. Coaches had to like that. I agree. Heath in trouble
to make our squad. But, will be playing somewhere.

Still, it was fun to see Dillon and a few others whooping it up after Evans during one run had blasted some poor Cardinal.

chowder said:
yeah, heath surprised me with some good plays tonight, even if it was against a bunch of 3rd string players. I really like Patrick Cobbs, though. He's everything I hoped that Cedric Cobbs would be and I hope we have room to keep him on our roster along with Dillon, Maroney, Faulk and Mills as a fullback.

Cobbs made an excellent blitz pick up last night. I'm sure that scored him some points.

If Pass starts season on PUP, one of them has a shot. I'd like to see them run with the first team and against first defenses before giving them a spot on the 53.

zippo59 said:
Whoever is cut, Cobbs or Evans, he is a guy whose number I would like the team to hold onto in case of injury in the future. It might not be possible as they have both looked good, giving them decent chances of getting signed by another RB starved team.

I think Evans might beat out Pass. He is doing a pretty darn good job in his full back role, catching and blocking. Had a decent run or two.

As much as I would like to keep Cobbs on the rosster as a develomental project, I just do not see the room for him. IF, and this is a big if, we are lucky we can slip him onto the PS and work with him some more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Unfortunatley for cobbs there is not enough room for him on the team this year. Also, i am glad TBC gets a chance to play this year. I think he could have done a lot more for us over the past year or two if BB had played him.

PatsMan26 said:
Agreed. Unfortunatley for cobbs there is not enough room for him on the team this year. Also, i am glad TBC gets a chance to play this year. I think he could have done a lot more for us over the past year or two if BB had played him.

Well BB has said it takes a few years to make the DE to OLB transition and as a 7th rounder who plays excellent special teams, he has been given that time. But it looks like he has learned his lessons well and is ready to do some damage.

kurtinelson said:
Cobbs made an excellent blitz pick up last night. I'm sure that scored him some points.
What's even better is he did it at least three times that I recall - the blocking by the RBs and TEs last night looked very good, we''l have a closer look in the breakdown thread, but my first impression was very positive.

kurtinelson said:

Yeah, I caught that. Great play, intriguing kid. This is a nice problem to have. Remember not so long ago Antowain Smith was our starting RB.

Fact is the Pats are going to have to dump some players this year that will most likely develop into quality NFL players. It is a good problem to have. It would be nice if they could get something in return for some of these guys to fill some holes rather than just cutting them and watching them sign elsewhere.

tough guy who's fun to watch against the second teamers when he's got that adrenaline pumping. Unfortunately for Heath the depth at that position is almost becoming redundant...which is hard to say based on the injuries last season. Wouldn't totally shock me if he stuck, but I just can't see it happening.

Dragda said:
Yeah, I caught that. Great play, intriguing kid. This is a nice problem to have. Remember not so long ago Antowain Smith was our starting RB.

thing about that play was that he kept fighting the guy after the ball was thrown...wasn't one of those chip blocks that backs normally throw...totally mauled him.

We are due for a player to come up with a questionable injury and get placed on the IR. Cobbs seems a likley candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News