Welcome to PatsFans.com

Harrison Poll

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Bostonian1962, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

2. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +600 / 46 / -21

3. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +724 / 1 / -3

I think Harrison got labeled by the media as a dirty player after the hit on Rice. If he delivered the same hit to somebody that was not as well known as Rice then it would have never received so much publicity, and Rodney would not have been the recipient of so much notoriety. After a while the 'dirty player' phrase just got repeated so many times that most opposing fans that seldom saw him play just accepted that label as being true. It's one of those things where once a player gets a certain reputation, it becomes nearly impossible to shed that image.

4. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,131 / 4 / -29

#12 Jersey

Honestly, I'm genuinely shocked at the poll results. I thought the numbers would be reversed, at best, frankly. The comments in response to Florio's piece on Rodney reflect a lot of the NE hatred out there. Screw 'em.

5. PatsChowder

PatsChowder On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

These days, if you hit hard you're a dirty player. Look at Hines Ward. The guy has been a model citizen for the most part and then when he lays out those huge blocks half the league turns on him.

Rodney just played the game hard.

Thank you, Rodney. You will be missed.

6. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not the least bit surprised that after he's out of the league he would get respect from people in a poll about his actions. I think fans can see through the jealousy and hatred of him and respect the toughness that he played with...

7. TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Some dorkwad poster on CBS Sportsline said he could PROVE Rodney was the dirtiest player ever... and then posted a link to an ESPN article about it.

I told him that wasn't exactly the best foundation for an argument; kinda like building a house on quicksand.

8. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +600 / 46 / -21

There have been polls for years, of players, of fans, and articles by media folks. I would suggest that the results have always been the same. Harrison is always listed in the top 5 dirtiest players currently playing. Some have him #1, some a bit lower.

This is the opinion of others. Patriot fans and charger fans don't have to accept this assessment, and we can say this is all perception and Harrison is justplaying with passion. Or we could, as raider fans would, be proud of his syle of play, and make no apologies.

9. Bostonian1962

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

Now there is a poll on the same link as to whether he is a Hall of Famer, and the majority say that he is. I agree with that as well.

10. jmt57

Ratings:
    +724 / 1 / -3

Here's another article looking back at Rodney's career, his reputation, and whether or not he's a hall-of-famer.

Rodney Harrison backed up everything he said by Glen Farley from the Quincy Patriot Ledger:

There is also Harrison's exit the end of a Boston era by Adam Smartschan from Metro Boston, where he talks about the void in Boston area sports with Rodney and Curt Schilling's retirement:

Shalise Manza-Young from the Providence Journal also writes a column, Rodney Harrison announces his retirement with this to say:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  11. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 5 / -1

Thanks for the link and let's all keep bumping this up.

Also, notice that there are TWO places to vote, one towards the top of the page on "dirty" play and the other towards the bottom on the HOF for Rodney.

Vote early and vote often, Pats Fans!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  12. Bostonian1962

Ratings:
    +9 / 3 / -0

You're very welcome! I must admit, I am a tad surprised at how well Rodney is doing in the polls. I agree, but I didn't expect it. It's kind of nice to see, and I hope Pats fans are voting.

13. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 5 / -1

it's interesting, the ratio 60/40 in "tough" vs. "dirty" and 69/31 in the HOF vote have remained the same.

bumping this again. vote often Pats fans. let's give Rodney a great send off!

14. jmt57

Ratings:
    +724 / 1 / -3

Just wanted to pass along a couple more articles on Rodney, his retirement, and his new career.

Rodney Harrison put personal stamp on Patriots by Ron Chimelis of the Springfield Republican

Harrison trades in helmet for headphones by Mark Farinella from the Attleboro Sun Chronicle

Jim Donaldson from the Providence Journal once again reprises his recurring role as Debby Downer the contrarian in this (warning: I do not recommend you click on the link and give him another web hit) column Harrison was a great player, not a hall of famer. Though it is indeed very debatable whether Rodney makes the Hall, Donaldson's logic is flawed: he bases it on only two Pro Bowls (while Pro Bowl and All Pro voting is acknowledged to be a joke) and a suspension for HGH (how many NFL players does he think would be would be suspended if the NFL tested for HGH? Donaldson doesn't stop there; he goes on to imply it was Harrison's fault for the Super Bowl loss to the Giants and warn NBC that Harrison won't be as honest in his analysis as he said he will be.

Chargers recall playing with - and against - Harrison by Kevin Acee from the San Diego Union-Tribune

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.