PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harris shows leadership w/o playing time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen people continuously wondering where Burkhead is which confuses me. I mean he broke some ribs and didnt practice for a while so that injury could heal. Did someone expect him to return on a short week against TB when he missed almost all of practice leading up to the Panthers game ?

I think he's playing against the Jets or should be

But that is not what I am saying. My issue is with people that are saying the team is getting nothing in return which is not true. Of course they didnt sign him to be a backup that gives them some veteran leadership in the locker room but for whatever reason this is where we are and the front office and coaching staff decided that the combination of dead money, leadership role and backup is worth more than the opportunity cost of carrying him on the roster.

It is not like they are afraid to cut their losses if things definitely dont work out as evidenced many times in the past. Personally I think once we get into November and December where teams will run more than now Harris might be able to carve out a role.

The team IS getting nothing in return for him on the field. He couldn't even get his snaps increased when Hightower went out and the defense was a dumpster fire from both a LB standpoint and a communication standpoint. Consider this: the team spent $5M and a roster spot at a paper-thin position for this kind of production: 1 tackle.

If a coach is what the team wanted, they should have given him a contact as that so they could open up the roster spot. That said, I still have hope that they're either managing his snaps early on or he's nursing some minor injury. But, from an on the field standpoint, he's been a total waste through five weeks.

Subtle difference from my point so the rest of your entire post is kinda useless.

Not at all. Are you saying you're okay with tying up a roster spot at a thin position while also throwing $5M of salary cap money at a player for 1 tackle through five weeks?

How do you know ? Are you there for every practice and meeting ? Only watching the games on Sunday and thinking you are qualified to judge a players impact on the team is laughable.

Calm down, chuckles. I was making a joke because the defense has been terrible with his leadership.

Not at all. Are you saying you're okay with tying up a roster spot at a thin position while also throwing $5M of salary cap money at a player for 1 tackle through five weeks?
Yes, this is the issue.

It is fine to explain why he is on the team. He is an inside ILB, specializing against the run, and he is being Van Noy, Hightower, and Roberts in the depth chart. He is not even always active, since we can use Marquis Flowers as an emergency ILB. Under these circumstances, Harris will get almost no reps. That's fine for a minimum compensation player.

However, I don't think that anyone thinks that Belichick paid $5M/2 years for someone to fill that role.

Harris would've been incredible a few years ago. But a back-up who cant play STs and/or isn't a developmental player is really sub-optimal in today's Nfl.

But i think they might have a plan for Harris. Might hope he catches up for the later games? Maybe keeping him fresh could work. I don't know... I think BB wouldnt carry almost dead weight out of respect alone...

make no mistake, NE has never been big spenders

Inserting this trope lessens the credibility of the rest of your post.

I think you are taking doing whatever he wanted a bit too literal. He still played within the scheme it is just that he understood his role and the roles of everyone else on each play which gave him opportunities to do some stuff by himself when he saw a chance to do so. In other words he knew sometimes he could take a specific risk because other players would cover him up if it backfired.

Gotta agree here.

Given that he's playing at the weakest position on this team and carrying a $3M cap hit, being basically another coach is nice and all but it isn't enough to even remotely begin justifying his signing. To be fair, I'd put his signing on the FO more than on Harris himself - it's not like he could be reasonably expected to offer a lot more than he has; he was never a fast guy, and last year it became apparent that he probably shouldn't be on the field.

Are you seriously saying that's what they did?
Its useless mixing points in time like that. What they had in mind when they signed him to that exact contract was one thing and that was then (and we can only speculate about it). How the situation played out in first five weeks is another thing and Id guess Pats FO view of the situation differs from yours or mine. What happens till the end of the season (let alone contract) remains to be seen.

They started KVN at OLB in TC. He played there as late as @DET. Harris started at MLB w High and Roberts out. Starting D looked good there (it was vanilla and all but it was starters vs starters also). What happened afterwards is anybody's guess but the fact is KVN got the MLB job, extension (so unlike most fans here they are comfortable w him going forward - not necessarily at MLB position of course) and Harris remains backup. TB game saw High taking back some MLB duties so the D is clearly still in reshaping mode.

The point of the OP was most of Harris' 2017 contract is guaranteed, savings by cutting minor, no-one's really knocking on roster's door (Langi is the only other serious LB option and he is on the roster) - so keeping an experienced, tough player that showed solid production last season and is respected leader and mentor to young players that gives High a hand off-field makes perfect sense at the moment despite not seeing the field. Weather that's in backup, situational or next man up facility its all good. I prefer to have Harris on board in case something happens w KVN and High (esp. after trade deadline) than searching on the street like most teams do..

With McClellin nearing return Harris' days could be numbered.

Inserting this trope lessens the credibility of the rest of your post.

Outside of this most recent offseason, when have we opened up the bank for someone? I’ll wait.... Not even Touchdown Tom is immune from this fact!

On a side note but on topic, I don’t know a whole lot about Bowman but he’s young and has a few Probowls under his belt

If they waste one of the IR returns on Shea McClellan I will cry.
Are you saying this because you believe he would be reinjured or do you think he can't help at linebacker because the latter I have to disagree.

Are you saying this because you believe he would be reinjured or do you think he can't help at linebacker because the latter I have to disagree.

Because Valentine and Mitchell would be far more valuable.

Because Valentine and Mitchell would be far more valuable.

Mitchell is a fine backup in case of injury. With the rest healthy, that's it.

On the other hand, we really need a NT. We have none unless Branch steps up. Valentine was his backup. And, obviously, we need another LB.

Outside of this most recent offseason, when have we opened up the bank for someone? I’ll wait...

Wilfork, Brady, Mankins, Moss, Colvin, Adalius Thomas, Solder, Gronk, McCourty, The Killer...

No offense, but it was foolish to make the statement in the first place. Doubling down on it just makes you look like an idiot.

Wilfork, Brady, Mankins, Moss, Colvin, Adalius Thomas, Solder, Gronk, McCourty, The Killer...

No offense, but it was foolish to make the statement in the first place. Doubling down on it afterward just makes you look like an idiot.
I'd add Mayo.

You hit on some, you miss on some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes