PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harris shows leadership w/o playing time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilfork, Brady, Mankins, Moss, Colvin, Adalius Thomas, Solder, Gronk, McCourty, The Killer...

No offense, but it was foolish to make the statement in the first place. Doubling down on it just makes you look like an idiot.

Lol your version of “big spenders” and actual reality differ immensely. And no need for a character reference. The point stands, you think Bill is going to open the wallet and drop 5m for a backup? All of the players you listed took discounts to play here, EVERY one of them could have made more elsewhere. Keep trying though...

All of the players you listed took discounts to play here

Brady, Mankins, Wilfork and Moss were all the highest paid in the league at their positions during their contract. Thomas and Colvin got top dollar offers and McCourty's discount was minimal. The only guys you even have an argument for are the TEs, who both signed with multiple years remaining on their rookie deals.

Please stop talking out of your ass. As I said before, it only makes you look like an idiot. You can simply say, "$5nm isn't backup money" without doubling (and now tripling) down on stupid ****.

I don't think I'd lump Burkhead in there. He's been very useful before he got injured. He provides a quick option for Brady either out of the backfield or out of the slot. Allen has been totally useless and Harris has been invisible. Gilmore certainly hasn't been good, to date (save Tampa), but he's still learning.

To date I've seen one play broken down on film to suggest Gilmore made the wrong coverage read. Otherwise I've seen no statistics and no film to show games 1-4 he was guilty of BP's famous "non competitive coverage" phrase.
To date what i have seen is many people write/say he stinks, and people making the very real logical error of post hoc ergo propter hoc.

I'm am willing to buy into the oft repeated statement that Gilmore has been a poor performer and the reason for the poor pass coverage in games through 1-4(maybe he has been). I am willing to buy into it if/when someone can provide some corroborative metrics and film breakdown (the Boston sports MSM saying it, to me, carries little value). Ultimately, given Gilmore's play has been termed with some 'choice' descriptions by so many, i'd assume this corroborative information should be abundantly available.

Regardless, hopefully Gilmore and the entire pass D will be on an upward trajectory starting from last Thursday.

Not at all. Are you saying you're okay with tying up a roster spot at a thin position while also throwing $5M of salary cap money at a player for 1 tackle through five weeks?

Stop moving the goal posts. At no point was I saying anything about him being worth the contract he was given. My entire point is that idiots here should stop claiming he provides absolute NO VALUE AT ALL for the team. Because they are not around the team for the majority of their time but only during games.

Jesus.. it is called reading comprehension.

I would say Gillislee is a disappointment so far as well. 3.6 yards a carry and 0 receptions. Now some of the low yards per carry is probably OL related. But still he hasn't been anything to get excited about.

I was going to add him, but when ypu compare Gillislie with everyone but Cooks, he starts looking better and better..

Not at all. Are you saying you're okay with tying up a roster spot at a thin position while also throwing $5M of salary cap money at a player for 1 tackle through five weeks?

But Harris has been a good coach.

Dont you see how good the NFLs 32nd ranked NE defense has been?

Brady, Mankins, Wilfork and Moss were all the highest paid in the league at their positions during their contract

This statement right here, is flat out wrong. Looking at Brady’s contracts each year the only year he was close was 2006 though he restructured that contract and took a team discount. I’ll point out that Matt Cassel had a bigger contract than Brady in 09. Moss was never even in the top 10 of highest paid at the position. Wilfork Was never the highest paid at his position. Look you can continue this little back and forth but my statement stands, making mouth-breather statements like you did above invalidates anything further you have to say on this. Let the adults talk

Take a look at the Harris numbers compared to others, I’d say it’s pretty bad when the guy sitting on the bench is making roughly double what the guy leading the position is making

2017 Inside Linebacker Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

I don't understand why people have problem w Harris being on the team without playing time. He came in as a backup to ILB position . KVN took the job in High's absence and Elandon is situational option vs run.

Id guess its a good situation to have experienced backup at hand if something happens to KVN (or Elandon and High to some degree). Texans lost 3 top front 7 players in one game (two for the season). I wouldn't be surprised if he comes on the field more vs some bigger, slower O's and goal-line situations.

Last but not least . Id guess he is a player BB likes to have around for the team . and its not like he is doing nothing. Here a nice article on Harris and his role on Pats team:

David Harris makes impact for Patriots off the field
____

quotes:

According to Hightower, Harris has been like another coach off the field to the younger players:
“I’m saying like defensive coordinator-type stuff, I mean, coming from two different organizations back whenever he was at the Jets, guys know that if there’s one thing about David it’s that he’s a real smart linebacker. I think that guys here saw that real quick and appreciate it. He’s helped that other waves of guys that are coming in, so for him to come in and learn the playbook as well as he has and still help the younger guys like E-Rob and the second and third year guys in the secondary, so it really helps to have that extra bag of leadership in the back end.”

Harris:
“It’s been amazing just seeing how everything works here and just how everybody works hard,” Harris said. “Everybody is dedicated to winning. You always heard different things about the Patriots from the outside, but it’s a lot different once you are actually here and a part of it. Attention to detail is amazing here and I appreciate that.”

It’s good to see a rational thread started.

I would say Gillislee is a disappointment so far as well. 3.6 yards a carry and 0 receptions. Now some of the low yards per carry is probably OL related. But still he hasn't been anything to get excited about.

I will forever hate the impact fantasy football has had on football fandom. The idea that any individual player can be evaluated after five games, inside a team that has, every year, spent the first half of the season sorting out systemic issues, is just absurd. It is emotional crack for fans, and erodes at the intellectual analysis which makes football a worthwhile fan pursuit.

I will forever hate the impact fantasy football has had on football fandom. The idea that any individual player can be evaluated after five games, inside a team that has, every year, spent the first half of the season sorting out systemic issues, is just absurd. It is emotional crack for fans, and erodes at the intellectual analysis which makes football a worthwhile fan pursuit.

Could not agree more. And the truth of the matter is that with the exception of a few really knowledgeable posters it is almost impossible to know how well most players are playing because we have no idea what their roles and responsibilities in any given play actually are. Some things are obvious, dropped passes, s missed block etc... but without knowing what the player’s responsibility was it is impossible to evaluate them accurately.

Mitchell is a fine backup in case of injury. With the rest healthy, that's it.

On the other hand, we really need a NT. We have none unless Branch steps up. Valentine was his backup. And, obviously, we need another LB.
I don't disagree about the NT and a linebacker, but I think you're underselling Mitchell a bit.

I don't know that the Pats win the Super Bowl last year without him, and this year Edelman is already gone. He could be a significant factor down the stretch.

I don't disagree about the NT and a linebacker, but I think you're underselling Mitchell a bit.

I don't know that the Pats win the Super Bowl last year without him, and this year Edelman is already gone. He could be a significant factor down the stretch.

I like Mitchell. He would replace Dorsett on the active roster each week. I don't see that Mitchell adds much to Gronkowksi, Cooks, Hogan, Amendola and White.
I wouldn't sit any of them very often for Mitchell.

Agreed, Malcolm is my top choice for IR return.... and it isn't particularly close.

Agreed, Malcolm is my top choice for IR return.... and it isn't particularly close.
I like Mitchell. He would replace Dorsett on the active roster each week. I don't see that Mitchell adds much to Gronkowksi, Cooks, Hogan, Amendola and White.
I wouldn't sit any of them very often for Mitchell.
I think that mgteich's argument is sound in terms of addressing a higher priority of need at other positions, while our current receiving options seem to be pretty solid at the moment. Of course, that would change with an injury.

At the moment, I think a strong argument could be made for the front seven players. Obviously, each individual player's health situations will be taken into account, so it may be unlikely that all 3 will be at full go. Should be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes