PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hank (Poteat) To Jets (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hank To Jets

CaffeineMan said:
The interesting thing is that the Jets cut Derrick Strait. He was drafted in the middle of the second round in 2004, right? Anybody know what's up with that?
Strait was traded by the Jets to Cleveland before the season, but the trade was voided when Lee Suggs "failed" his physical. (It's rumored that the Jets failed him because after they traded for Suggs they found out Kevan Barlow was available). Apparently Strait was a starter for a couple of games this season but lost that job, and didn't play at all against the Jags. He played against us but had no tackles.

Could someone please explain the Bongos reference to me?

jimmyjames said:
Could someone please explain the Bongos reference to me?
Once upon a time (offseason 2005), there was a Flying Fungi questioning the value of a Hank Poteat for the Patriots and pondering the folks who might get on his bandwagon. Being musically challenged, I offered to play the bongos on the Hank Poteat Bandwagon, this appealed to a number of other musically challenged Hank Poteat fans leading to a run on local music stores for bongos, noted art critic and music aficionado T-shirt Dynasty even went so far as to commission a set of bongos with Flying Elvis on each drum and posted a photo in his signature.

Happy to say, Flying Fungi is now President Emeritus of the Hank Poteat Bandwagon, eagerly awaiting the day "our" Hank is cut by the Jest and brought back for another Super Bowl run. :rocker:

Re: Jets sign Poteat

NYCPatsFan said:
Thanks for the brainy reply. :D If he is as good as what most of us fans think - and knowing how the secondary is prone to so many injuries - why did the Pats cut him? And I thought I read somewhere that the Pats still had a spot on their roster...
Hank is one of the borderline roster players who always plays well, but doesn't have the flare to be a major playmaker - he is an excellent tackler and plays well within his limitations. He can crosstrain for FS in Mangini's defense or free up a more athletic candidate by playing nickelback the way he does for the Pats. The Pats have better Special Teams candidates, he might also be someone Mangini wants for his Special Teams - as noted before, he is a good open field tackler.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Once upon a time (offseason 2005), there was a Flying Fungi questioning the value of a Hank Poteat for the Patriots and pondering the folks who might get on his bandwagon. Being musically challenged, I offered to play the bongos on the Hank Poteat Bandwagon, this appealed to a number of other musically challenged Hank Poteat fans leading to a run on local music stores for bongos, noted art critic and music aficionado T-shirt Dynasty even went so far as to commission a set of bongos with Flying Elvis on each drum and posted a photo in his signature.

Happy to say, Flying Fungi is now President Emeritus of the Hank Poteat Bandwagon, eagerly awaiting the day "our" Hank is cut by the Jest and brought back for another Super Bowl run. :rocker:

Alrighty Then. Thanks.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Hank is one of the borderline roster players who always plays well, but doesn't have the flare to be a major playmaker - he is an excellent tackler and plays well within his limitations. He can crosstrain for FS in Mangini's defense or free up a more athletic candidate by playing nickelback the way he does for the Pats. The Pats have better Special Teams candidates, he might also be someone Mangini wants for his Special Teams - as noted before, he is a good open field tackler.

That is helpful. Feel slightly better now. Thanks for the explanation.

I believe that bb was being too cute and got caught. I think that he assumed that Poteat would always be available. Personally, I think Hank would have been more valuable than Spann on the 53 man roster. bb may be more confortable with Spann tha Poteat on the field as a nickel or dime back. I'm not. Obviously, if we add another corner in the next week, we might better understand the situation.

mark

Box_O_Rocks said:

mgteich said:
I believe that bb was being too cute and got caught. I think that he assumed that Poteat would always be available. Personally, I think Hank would have been more valuable than Spann on the 53 man roster. bb may be more confortable with Spann tha Poteat on the field as a nickel or dime back. I'm not. Obviously, if we add another corner in the next week, we might better understand the situation.

mark
I love Hank and hope he wins a starting job, but Spann reminds me of Randal Gay - with a little of Asante Samuel's ball hawking. Give Collier, Pees, and BB some time...

I'm not dissing Spann; but Pees and the rest could work with him just as well on the Practice Squad.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I love Hank and hope he wins a starting job, but Spann reminds me of Randal Gay - with a little of Asante Samuel's ball hawking. Give Collier, Pees, and BB some time...

mgteich said:
I'm not dissing Spann; but Pees and the rest could work with him just as well on the Practice Squad.
I think he was brought up to play gunner while Willie Andrews is on the injury report and Gay is on IR. Losing Gay, Hobbs, Wilson, and Andrews at pretty much the same time just confused the replacement picture. Hobbs coming back and Poteat going to the darkside clarifies things in my mind.

I though Iwoume was signed to be our gunner. But I have no problem with Spann being a key STer, if that is what he was brought up to do.

If what you say is true, the FO decided to cut our #4 corner without any replacement. The FO did this when the some of the safeties were injured. Is Sanders or Hawkins expected to be our dime backs in 10 days? If we have another (even minor) injury at corner, will one of these by our nickel back?

So, in the end your clarification only make things worse for me.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I think he was brought up to play gunner while Willie Andrews is on the injury report and Gay is on IR. Losing Gay, Hobbs, Wilson, and Andrews at pretty much the same time just confused the replacement picture. Hobbs coming back and Poteat going to the darkside clarifies things in my mind.

mgteich said:
I though Iwoume was signed to be our gunner. But I have no problem with Spann being a key STer, if that is what he was brought up to do.

If what you say is true, the FO decided to cut our #4 corner without any replacement. The FO did this when the some of the safeties were injured. Is Sanders or Hawkins expected to be our dime backs in 10 days? If we have another (even minor) injury at corner, will one of these by our nickel back?

So, in the end your clarification only make things worse for me.
Iwoume was playing gunner, but so is Spann with Blue on IR and Andrews out for the Miami game. The alternative at gunner was Scott...

Currently at CB: Hobbs, Samuel, Scott, Spann, Iwuome, (Wilson), (Hawkins)

S: Harrison, Wilson, Hawkins, Sanders, Andrews, (Scott) - an interesting aside, Hobbs played some S in the Miami game.

By numbers the depth is there, as much as I love Hank, I think Spann can be just as steady and provide more big play skills once he gets some more experience in the system. I'll say it again, he reminds me of Blue, I won't be surprised if he is also cross training at S, but given the success the Pats have had bringing rookie's in at mid-season and getting solid and improved play out of them, I have hope for him. Iwuome as a Special Teams Ace would have to be a good open field tackler - another prospective safety... Let's also not forget Andrews was considered a CB/S hybrid coming out of Baylor having played both positions. I won't be surprised if he also emerges as a nickelback/dimeback as the season progresses and injuries sit veterans down.

Remember Mark, things aren't as bad as they seem as long as BB is on the sideline. :rocker:

Box_O_Rocks said:
.... things aren't as bad as they seem as long as BB is on the sideline. :rocker:

Words to engrave on one's tombstone.

More so than Kraft ... more so even than Brady
... the indispensable man of this franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft