PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ha! NOW we know why BM was gunning for Heap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Meriweather
I like Rodney (even when he was in SD)
James Harrison can play on my team anytime
I liked the Colosseum

I believe it, it's not like he any reason to lie, like avoiding a suspension.

Heap verified the account. Now unless Heap is lying too...

I want to offer an alternate scenario for the critics to consider.

Heap is 6' 5" tall, Meriwether is 5' 11" tall. BM was coming in as Heap was jumping up for a high toss. The only way to stop the reception was to go up and hit Heap's arms hard enough to hopefully dislodge the ball. So I understand the jump, aka "launch". Heap 's head came down and BM head was up and helmets met.

So although there was a Helmut hit and a Jump up into Heap, I also saw the hit also went into Heap's extended arms presumably catching the ball. Iregardless of BM's wishes or technique, I see the defensive reasons for some of the Meriwether actions.

Heap is 6' 5" tall, Meriwether is 5' 11" tall. BM was coming in as Heap was jumping up for a high toss. The only way to stop the reception was to go up and hit Heap's arms hard enough to hopefully dislodge the ball. So I understand the jump, aka "launch". Heap 's head came down and BM head was up and helmets met.

So although there was a Helmut hit and a Jump up into Heap, I also saw the hit also went into Heap's extended arms presumably catching the ball. Iregardless of BM's wishes or technique, I see the defensive reasons for some of the Meriwether actions.

It was all about timing. 9/10 If heap catches that ball and Meriweather times his hit, Heap gets separated from the ball. The Ball was overthrown and Meriweather jumped late and it looks unnecessary (which it was). The hit itself was not as vicious as people are making it seem. Heap still fell forward, Brandon never actually went through the receiver. It was more of a pop than an actual hit.

Easy to say from a fan's perspective. Unfortunately, Meriweather has a split second to make the decision... and he made the decision to make the hit.

Part of this game is making split second decisions and making the right ones consistently. That's what they are coached to do. Coaching puts the player in position to make the right play. Meriweather resisted coaching, or he'd have had a pick. Bill trusts players with good instincts to make plays based on their track record. Brandon's track record doesn't warrant trust. Ergo he either plays as coached or he won't be playing here much longer. Bill was clear on one thing this week. They don't coach their players to make illegal hits, they coach them to play to the rules and they teach them the techniques to succeed doing that. They know guys make mistakes, mental and physical. What they cannot tolerate is players who repeatedly make mental mistakes. That constitutes bad fundamental and situational football, and when you play that your team is far less likely to win.

Part of this game is making split second decisions and making the right ones consistently. That's what they are coached to do. Coaching puts the player in position to make the right play. Meriweather resisted coaching, or he'd have had a pick. Bill trusts players with good instincts to make plays based on their track record. Brandon's track record doesn't warrant trust. Ergo he either plays as coached or he won't be playing here much longer. Bill was clear on one thing this week. They don't coach their players to make illegal hits, they coach them to play to the rules and they teach them the techniques to succeed doing that. They know guys make mistakes, mental and physical. What they cannot tolerate is players who repeatedly make mental mistakes. That constitutes bad fundamental and situational football, and when you play that your team is far less likely to win.

Meriweather also said during the week that, whenever he held his position, the receiver made the catch and had room to run after the catch. He wasn't counting on Flacco to make the overthrow that he did. To him, he had to make a split second decision to either hold his ground and take the chance of the receiver coming down with the ball for a first down, or making the big hit and jarring the ball loose. Unfortunately, he mistimed his hit and that's the only reason we're talking about this.

Meriweather also said during the week that, whenever he held his position, the receiver made the catch and had room to run after the catch. He wasn't counting on Flacco to make the overthrow that he did. To him, he had to make a split second decision to either hold his ground and take the chance of the receiver coming down with the ball for a first down, or making the big hit and jarring the ball loose. Unfortunately, he mistimed his hit and that's the only reason we're talking about this.

Exactly. The only hit I would've fined from this weekend is Harrison's hit on Cribbs. The other 3 were either fairly accidental (Meriweather, other Harrison) or not helmet-to-helmet (Robinson).

Exactly. The only hit I would've fined from this weekend is Harrison's hit on Cribbs. The other 3 were either fairly accidental (Meriweather, other Harrison) or not helmet-to-helmet (Robinson).

The Robinson hit was definitely helmet-to-helmet, without a doubt. Now, whether he intended to hit Jackson like that or not is up for debate.

I love that Meriweather delivered a crushing hit, my problem is that he drew a potentially costly penalty. Sunday's game was primarily a field position battle, and 15 yards makes a huge difference in that type of game.

It may have energized the defense, BM could have hit Heap without leading with the helmet. He needs to learn to intimidate within the frameworks of the rules.

I like Meriweather
I like Rodney (even when he was in SD)
James Harrison can play on my team anytime
I liked the Colosseum

What so many of you are missing is that Meriweather doesn't belong in that company. He's simply not that good.
Why do you think BB has benched him numerous times this year??

Yes, he was hitting like a regular bull moose out there ... beastly mutha ... bad mofo ... bodacious mauler ... blindly malevolent ... born motivated ...

Yeah "BM" was either hitting defenseless receivers or whacking receivers AFTER they scored TD's or made TWENTY YARD GAINS for 1st downs.
Try watching the game.

Yeah "BM" was either hitting defenseless receivers or whacking receivers AFTER they scored TD's or made TWENTY YARD GAINS for 1st downs.
Try watching the game.

we get it.......you should put 'I hate Brandon Meriweather' in your signature

Thank You

Of all the "devasting" hits on Sunday, this was the only one that was multi dimensional. "Up and down" were more relavent here than forward backward.

The other two guys hit players on an even plane. in fact, Harrison hit Cribbs when he was stationary.

The other thing I would add is the "spear" was actually sideways in direction. As such it was more of glancing blow and indicative of mistiming.

What so many of the organ grinders on BSPN, NFLN, and patsfans.com can't seem to comprehend is that their "devastating" hit only caused Heap to be out a series or two vs out of the game concussions. Hardly the hyped devastation.

Dumb penatly, yes. National hysteria, Ahh no.

What so many of you are missing is that Meriweather doesn't belong in that company. He's simply not that good.
Why do you think BB has benched him numerous times this year??

We may miss alot. What we wouldn't miss you posting the dumb things post after post.

Well, letting him score, then getting a big penalty and a $50,000 fine sure showed him.:rolleyes:

exactly. after watching the replay of the Heap TD it's clear as day that Meriweather could have prevented the TD. Instead he stops INSIDE the endzone waiting for Heap to meet him there to deliver a crushing hit. And he whiffed. :rolleyes:

He also launched himself at Mason on the sideline. This kid better get his act right real soon or he'll be outta here.

The Robinson hit was definitely helmet-to-helmet, without a doubt. Now, whether he intended to hit Jackson like that or not is up for debate.

I think you need a new tv my friend. It was clearly not helmet to helmet. In fact it wasn't even shoulder to helmet. It was shoulder to chest.

Last edited:
He still didn't deserve to get speared the way he did. But he should have been expecting something after that. I'm glad you pointed that out because my girlfriend has control of the TV right now and I can't watch the replay.

:eek::eek::eek: You need a second tv in the house. Fighting with the gf is a losing proposition, despite what others have suggested. But you can get a cheap 13 inch TV for about $100. If your GF is so domineering that she insists you watch what she wants to watch with her....get a new GF.

:eek::eek::eek: You need a second tv in the house. Fighting with the gf is a losing proposition, despite what others have suggested. But you can get a cheap 13 inch TV for about $100. If your GF is so domineering that she insists you watch what she wants to watch with her....get a new GF.

I let mine take control of the remote knowing she's gonna fall asleep after about 30 mins and I've got sports on the other tuner ready to be swapped. :cool:

I want to see this secondary continue to make big (legal) hits against receivers. It seemed like I saw more of that play in this past game then I had in the last three years and a big part of that is Meriweather. That used to be a staple of this defense back in the championship days. Frankly, I am glad to see it coming back. I agree that it needs to stay in control and avoid silly penalties but overall I am liking the aggressive style.

Tonight's NFLN replay is giving some good insight, thanks to the candid conversations. After he scored his touchdown Heap came off the field and told the coach, "Thanks for calling that [play]. Because the play before that I told them I was going to score."

Sort of puts a new slant on things. Although it still doesn't excuse the more blatant head launch later, it represents BM "answering" the Ravens' "intimidation" factor.

That's pretty weak, though if that's the case. "Well, we can't stop you from scoring, so I'm going to launch at your brain while you're in mid-air, at least." Come on, we should be better than that. We do our talking on the field by executing better. Ultimately - and fortunately - that's what we ended up doing.

Not to mention, if Meriweather had been playing the ball, he could've seen he had an easy pick coming his way if he weren't gunning for the big hit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes