PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guyton and Hobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is that, to my knowledge, Izzo played in each of the 1st three games on Special Teams. As did Alexander. Special teams was not very good in those 3 games.

Izzo has been a Special Teams captain. However, it should be noted that Captains are voted on by the team every year. So, right now, the only one who is a Team Captain is Brady. Beyond that, its not been decided.

People keep saying that Alexander is this great special teamer. I don't see it. He's certainly not better than Pierre Woods or Kelley Washington. I think that Guyton will take his spot at the very least.

I think that Vince Redd and Bo Ruud are probably headed for the practice squad or the IR.

Here's my best guess on the LBs:

Players that make the team: Tedy Bruschi, Mayo, Adalius Thomas, Vrabel, Crable, Pierre Woods, Hobson and Guyton.

Players in consideration for final LB kept on the team (w/ Explanation):

The last two in consideration are Eric Alexander and Redd. Eric Alexander knows the system, and plays very well on teams, which means alot to BB.

However, his ceiling is not as high as Redd's. IMHO, the discussion with Pat's brass right now goes along the lines of 'well, Redd isn't a finished product, and may never be, but if we risk getting him to the practice squad, we may lose him all together.'

Could they keep both? Yes, but not likely. Could they cut both? Yes, of course, but that will be based on the rest of the roster. Decisions on guys like Slater and Ventrone, will have impacts on the LBs or other positions.

All I'm willing to guess at right now, are the 8 LBs I think will make the team (see above). Beyond that, I think even the team is still trying to figure that out.

Last edited:
I am a HUGE Guyton fan and I think he has done enough to earn a spot. However, everyone needs to keep in mind Belichick puts VERY little stock in the fourth preseason game. One good game from Hobson with a bunch of tackles in the 4th game will not make up for 3 games where he couldn't break the starting lineup. 8 tackles last night doesn't make me feel comfortable with him jumping into the starting lineup if Bruschi gets hurt.

I am a HUGE Guyton fan and I think he has done enough to earn a spot. However, everyone needs to keep in mind Belichick puts VERY little stock in the fourth preseason game. One good game from Hobson with a bunch of tackles in the 4th game will not make up for 3 games where he couldn't break the starting lineup. 8 tackles last night doesn't make me feel comfortable with him jumping into the starting lineup if Bruschi gets hurt.

Why is it that people ASSUME that Hobson couldn't "break the line-up." Did anyone stop to think that MAYBE Belichick knows what he is getting in Hobson and feels that other players (Guyton, Redd, Ruud, Mayo) needed the reps?

As for what "makes you comfortable," I don't think BB gives a care. Its what makes HIM comfortable. If Hobson is cut, so be it. If he's not, so be it. I'd be very surprised if the Pats went with Alexander or Redd over Hobson. But I've been surprised plenty of times..

Why is it that people ASSUME that Hobson couldn't "break the line-up." Did anyone stop to think that MAYBE Belichick knows what he is getting in Hobson and feels that other players (Guyton, Redd, Ruud, Mayo) needed the reps?

As for what "makes you comfortable," I don't think BB gives a care. Its what makes HIM comfortable. If Hobson is cut, so be it. If he's not, so be it. I'd be very surprised if the Pats went with Alexander or Redd over Hobson. But I've been surprised plenty of times..
The fact that he didn't get a SINGLE first team rep this preseason (in games and practice) but he did get all the garbage time reps tells me a lot. Belichick "knows what he's getting" with Bruschi, but he still played. Same with all the other starters. He wouldn't just put Hobson at the bottom of the ILB depth chart because "he knew what he was getting."

As for reps, I can't think of ONE preseason prior that BB played a player AHEAD of another through preseason just for reps. Hobson is new this season and needs reps as much as ANY player to learn a NEW LB spot he's playing. This argument is ridicules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call