PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guess we are getting field turf

Status
Not open for further replies.
chris_in_sunnyvale said:
It depends on the stadium configuration for concerts. I have no idea what Gillette's concert configuration is, but I'll give an example. Assuming the stage is put in the endzone and seats are put on the field with a concentration on the center, this is a heavy burden on the turf. Factor in the trucks needed to cart all this in and out and you can bet the turf is going to be worn fast, especially down the middle.

Regards,
Chris
The Stone's concert was setup with the stage in the south endzone (usually they would have taken seats out to lessen the burden on the field, but that takes an extra day and the Sunday night game was immediately follwing) extending out to about the 25. They had laid down plywood for trucks to go back and forth over the field but they still tried to keep them mostly off on the sidelines. They had also laid down weight-distributing panels on the grass. The problem is that while that works if it's three people, the stone's stage was massive. It had to be 20 tons of metal, speakers and lights. So, pretty much out to the 20 is dead grass right about now. Also, they had a long, thin stage going down the center of the field (pretty much over the hash marks) which could explain why the center got so bad so fast.

As for the field turf, I've played on it before and I kind of like it, but I was just a guy messing around with my buddies.

if true, it was a football decision. No way they're installing turf because Goodell or Polian want them to.

How much of an advantage do we really have on a slow track? Sure a slow track hurts Indy, but the rest of the year we're just slowing our own offense down and that just keeps games a lot closer than they need to be.

sure it's a little sad but think about it rationally.

We're trying to build a team that can play solid defense and solid offense...close games suck...they produce more injuries too. A faster more consistent track expands the range of your offense...if they take away our timing game, then we can improvise like we've done so well in the past...but otherwise let's speed it up and start scoring.

if that is, the report is true...and I'd be surprised if it happened so soon...if at all.

lobster said:
The Revolution is in the playoff's, which they probably want to have on grass.
I guess they'll be working day and night under the lights.

the taildragger said:
if true, it was a football decision. No way they're installing turf because Goodell or Polian want them to.

How much of an advantage do we really have on a slow track? Sure a slow track hurts Indy, but the rest of the year we're just slowing our own offense down and that just keeps games a lot closer than they need to be.

We're trying to build a team that can play solid defense and solid offense...close games suck...they produce more injuries too. A faster more consistent track expands the range of your offense...if they take away our timing game, then we can improvise like we've done so well in the past...but otherwise let's speed it up and start scoring.

if that is, the report is true...and I'd be surprised if it happened so soon...if at all.

Thank you for repeating every single COLTS fan's defense of their climate controlled dome.

the taildragger said:

The offense may be getting faster, but the defense will be at risk of being exposed against teams, like indy, built totally for speed.

Thats the big reason, IMO, why the field is the way it is. It allows the Pats to go big & strong rather than smaller & faster. Our LB's are s.l.o.w. compared to many squads around the league, and our vet secondary would be at a huge disadvantage against just about any wr group in the league. Harrison, Scott, Hawkins have all lost a step (at least).

You might get your wish about not having close games. There could be a lot of shootouts in the Pats future if they do go to FieldTurf.

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/PatsBlog/archives/2006/10/new_turf_field.html
After yesterday's practice, New England punter Josh Miller was asked what he thought if the natural grass was replaced by the fake stuff.

"If they do," he said, "kickers have no excuses."

What do most guys prefer?
"I don't know," he said. "I really don't. Sometimes you get a running back who shakes and bakes and wants a fast surface because he can't do that stuff in sand. As far as a punter, the returner now, who is a four-one guy, is no longer a four-one. He's now miserable and slow.
"When a (defense) is eight in the box and are coming to block you, they won't get a good jump, so you don't have to be as fast. When you're pooch punting, you can hit the ball, have it land on the ball land on the 2, and it may not go in the end zone because it will die right there. These are things that people don't think of, they just immediately come to our stadium and start complaining.
"I look at it as here's a guy who averages 15-yards per return and we just held him to 1. I get some good rolls with this stuff. This (grass) field is my friend."

Justice said:
The Stone's concert was setup with the stage in the south endzone (usually they would have taken seats out to lessen the burden on the field, but that takes an extra day and the Sunday night game was immediately follwing) extending out to about the 25. They had laid down plywood for trucks to go back and forth over the field but they still tried to keep them mostly off on the sidelines. They had also laid down weight-distributing panels on the grass. The problem is that while that works if it's three people, the stone's stage was massive. It had to be 20 tons of metal, speakers and lights. So, pretty much out to the 20 is dead grass right about now. Also, they had a long, thin stage going down the center of the field (pretty much over the hash marks) which could explain why the center got so bad so fast.

As for the field turf, I've played on it before and I kind of like it, but I was just a guy messing around with my buddies.

I think the long thin things going down the middle are actually tracks for part of the stage in the endzone. Towards the middle of the concert part of the endzone stage separates and glides down the tracks and docks with a second smaller stage (smaller U shaped flooring) around the 50 yard line. ;) The band then plays several numbers from the smaller stage at the middle of the field. Sometimes they scamper back on the track when the set is over.

Can't imagine the weight involved in the main stage, and along the track. The exact middle of the field doesn't have chairs on it because it is reserved for the moving stage.

BelichickFan said:
I hope so, I'm tired of that crap they play on. Also a slow turf is less of an advantage to us now that we have good speed on offense with Maroney and, soon, Chad Jackson.

I agree completely. The Patriots spent all that money for a new stadium and then have to deal with the field situation. This is going to be GREAT!

Bostonian1962 said:
I agree completely. The Patriots spent all that money for a new stadium and then have to deal with the field situation. This is going to be GREAT!

Yeah, great for the Colts (next year...or in the playoffs.)

There goes ANOTHER piece of our homefield advantage...

I don't mind them playing on a nasty, evil-looking, muddy field. Artificilal grass isn't just a playing surface, its the path to poofterville. Its the path to us ending up with a quarterback saying, 'They didn't beat us, we beat ourselves.'

The field conditions at Gillette are horrible. FieldTurf is a good thing. They have it in Seattle and I haven't heard any complaints there.

Just from my (albeit selfish) perspective, Field Turf looks great on TV. It looks like grass fields look at the start of the season. I was in Tampa this past August for a Sox/D-Rays tilt and it looks great in person too. Tampa's Tropicana Field was the first Major arena that had it, I believe.

The Rolling Stones set-up (from ticketmaster.com):
16507s.gif

Brady has compiled a career record of 15-1 (which is now 17-1 after this Jets win and the win at Cincy) as a starter in games played on artificial surfaces, including regular season and playoff games. His only loss came on Sept. 7, 2003 at Buffalo's Ralph Wilson Stadium.
In his 16 previous starts on artificial surfaces, Brady has thrown 30 touchdowns and just 13 interceptions.
On turf, Brady has completed 65.5 percent of his passes (329-503), while completing 60.9 percent of his passes on natural grass (1484-2436).
On turf, Brady has compiled a career passer rating of 97.4, compared to a 86.7 career rating on grass.

bresna said:
The Rolling Stones set-up (from ticketmaster.com):
16507s.gif
Velly interesting. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes