Welcome to PatsFans.com

Guess we are getting field turf

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Sean Pa Patriot, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Not a fan, but the boobs from the NFL and Polian must have overuled us... Getting it before the Bears game... According to NESN...

2. Alk

Alk In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't be surprised if Kraft himself decided on this. I think this is a very good move, if they get the stuff like they have at Nebraska, there will be very little difference from playing on real grass.

3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,210 / 5 / -19

#61 Jersey

Are you sure about this? From what little I know it's not something you can just slap down -- the whole floor of the stadium would have to be graded, prepped, etc. Sounds to me like something that'd have to be done during the offseason. I thought they were just going to put in new sod.

4. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +230 / 6 / -1

#12 Jersey

Not necessarily Sean. Our own players don't like the field, even BB didn't sound to happy about the conditions. The Kraft's are probably not happy about the appearance of the field either. We will never know, but I think this is a team decision more than a league decision. Even before we heard from Polian, our own players were complaining about the field conditions.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  5. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +230 / 6 / -1

#12 Jersey

The Revolution is still playing right? If you are right, they will probably resod and then install the turf in the offseason.

6. mtbykr

mtbykr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

That would be sweet---the Nebraska field is awesome. If they do this i would also like them to do it like Nebraska! (ie different shades on the field) Just my $.02 though!

7. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +102 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

I hope so, I'm tired of that crap they play on. Also a slow turf is less of an advantage to us now that we have good speed on offense with Maroney and, soon, Chad Jackson.

9. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +134 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I'm glad, Brady tends to play much better on turf for whatever reason.

10. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -1

Disable Jersey

I'm sad. Football ought to be played on grass -- at least by my team. Still, I don't want them to play on sand and dust either ...

11. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +238 / 46 / -22

No Jersey Selected

Just as long as it's not the SportGrass crap that the Baltimore Murderers use; that looks just like the old Phonyturf surface. The SportField surface in Dallas looks a little better, but not by much. The Momentum Turf in NO looks OK, though. I agree that FieldTurf looks the best on television; more importantly, does it feel the best for the players? I still don't understand why our field was always in such bad shape, even compared to other cold-weather cities' fields, e.g. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Denver, etc.

P.S. to Alk: have you been on the FieldTurf at Nebraska? How soft does it feel? I've been on the old PhonyTurf field at BC, and it felt like a rug - and not a very thick one - on a sidewalk.

12. Willie55

Willie55 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I still say why cant the grounds keeper keep the field inside the stadium look as good as the practice fields (which get much more use).

And BTW, I hope they dont go to field turf. Football was meant to be played in the mud and on the grass.

13. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The practice fields don't endure soccer, events, and concerts.

14. Willie55

Willie55 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The Patriots practice on them 4-5 times a week. And the wear in the stadium is between the hash marks, that's from football being played, not from soccer or any concerts.

15. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I don't know the stadium's concert schedule, but concerts *kill* fields.

Regards,
    Chris

16. Brownfan80

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Who knows. I'd think that if it was something simple like the weekly football games that they'd have some other solution ready when the league demanded the playing surface be fixed. Instead they're simply replacing it with something new? Doesn't compute, for me. It's a weird one. I guess we'll have to wait for that tell-all book to come out after Bill is done here.

17. Brownfan80

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Any reason why they'd kill the middle of the field more than the outside? Everytime the events and concerts angle is brought up, people point out that it's the middle of the field that endures the most damage evidence of football damage. But the field was screwed from the beginning this season, leading me to believe that football is not the cause of the problem.

18. ctpatsfan1

ctpatsfan1 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

they used to play with no face masks/helmets, smaller pads, no forward passing, in non-domed stadiums, no free agency, different rules regarding hitting, etc etc etc. The sport has been progressing and changing for decades this is just one more change/progression.

Doing a little research....there are 12 non grass fields and 20 grass fields in the NFL.

19. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yeah, I wish we could play on grass too. Unfortunately, they're not even playing on that now!

20. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +401 / 28 / -48

#50 Jersey

I'm not sure how the Stones concert set-up was, but as oters have said, they do KILL the grass. If it was set at midfield, much like the U2 set-up was during SB38, then, yes, it can be a result of that.

Also, I would like to suggest that maybe the run-off from the center of the field is too good. Meaning that the area doesn't hold water well and so the grass doesn't hold the water.

However, the Pats are going to field turf and water CAN collect on it if the drainage isn't done right. Who knows, maybe they will do a combination of FieldTurf down the center and Grass everywhere else. Anyways, having new turf will be a good thing.