PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk's Place in History

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We hope that he has many more productive years left in his career, but as of today, what is Gronk's place in history? Is he a hall-of-famer *right now*? Is he the greatest TE of all time *right now*? Or is his career not long enough to give him that title? A few tidbits for thought....

There are only 8 tight ends in the hall of fame. Here they are, and here are their career stats:

Mike Ditka: 158 games, 427 rec, 5,812 yds (13.6), 40 td
John Mackey: 139 games, 331 rec, 5,236 yds (15.8), 38 td
Jackie Smith: 210 games, 480 rec, 7,910 yds (16.5), 40 td
Kellen Winslow: 109 games, 541 rec, 6,741 yds (12.5), 45 td
Ozzie Newsome: 198 games, 662 rec, 7,980 yds (12.1), 47 td
Dave Casper: 147 games, 378 rec, 5,216 yds (13.8), 52 td
Charlie Sanders: 128 games, 336 rec, 4,817 yds (14.3), 31 td
Shannon Sharpe: 204 games, 815 rec, 10,060 yds (12.3), 62 td

Other notables not (or not yet) in the HOF:

Mark Bavaro: 126 games, 351 rec, 4,733 yds (13.5), 39 td
Ben Coates: 158 games, 499 rec, 5,555 yds (11.1), 50 td
Tony Gonzalez: 270 games, 1,325 rec, 15,127 yds (11.4), 111 td
Antonio Gates: 187 games, 833 rec, 10,511 yds (12.6), 103 td
Russ Francis: 167 games, 393 rec, 5,262 yds (13.4), 40 td
Jason Witten: 204 games, 1,008 rec, 11,096 yds (11.0), 59 td

Rob Gronkowski: 77 games, 369 rec, 5,397 yds (14.6), 64 td

Clearly, Gronk's career stats, in a fraction of the games that those 8 hall of famers have played, are just as good as the guys who are in Canton. Now, the game has changed considerably, and passing is much more prolific, so we'd expect TEs today to be more like receivers than blockers. Nobody is ever going to confuse Jimmy Graham or Jason Witten with an offensive lineman.

I think right now, Tony Gonzalez has to go down as the greatest TE in history. Longevity, mind-boggling production, and sheer numbers give him that title, even if he wasn't the best blocking TE ever. He wasn't bad, he just wasn't elite for a TE. Antonio Gates has to be right up there as well. Both those guys are HOF locks. As is Witten, to be honest. He's getting in as well.

But Gronk's numbers, even for such a short period of time, compare favorably to most guys on this list - both those in and not yet in Canton. His yards per catch average is better than Gonzalez, Gates, Witten, Coates, Sharpe, Winslow, Newsome, et al. He has more TDs already at the position than anyone besides Gonzalez and Gates. Think about that. In 38% of the games compared to Sharpe, Gronk has 2 more TDs. And it wasn't like Sharpe didn't have good QBs throwing to him. He had Elway most of his career.

Gronk is a better blocker than any of the guys in the "not or not yet in the HOF" list above. He is also a much better blocker than Sharpe, Winslow, and Newsome. I can't speak for Ditka or Mackey or Smith, but it's hard to imagine Gronk not being on a par with those guys.

Long story short, Gronk is on the absolute short list of all-time greatest TEs in the game *right now*, if he never played another down in the NFL. If he plays several more years, his cumulative numbers will make his overall case that much more impressive. It's hard to picture him amassing the same number of receptions for the same number of yards as Gonzalez, because Gonzalez just played so long, enjoying great health throughout his career. Gronk's body probably can't survive that long.

If Gronk never played another snap, he'd probably miss out on the HOF. There's been major inflation in passing yards and TDs since those other HOFers played. Need probably 3000 more yards to solidify things. His huge personality/branding will help him too (see Namath, Joe). Personally, I prefer greatness over longevity. I'd vote Terrell Davis into the HOF over Jerome Bettis all day long.

If he walked away from football after this season he would probably have to wait awhile to get in. Not saying that he should but TEs are measured by Gonzales and Gates now which is stupid imp

What needs to be an X factor is he is a new age receiver but with an old school blocking mentality. BB compared him to Bavarro which is high praise. I'm sure some of the hall of fame tight ends that are in appreciate his style of play except maybe Sharpe.

If your were to double his games to 144

738 receptions
10,794 yards
128 tds

those are legitimate numbers, especially the TDs which would shatter the record. Still, I'm more of a old school guy and already consider Bavaro the best TE I've ever watch play up until Gronkowski. Not taking away anything from Gonzales, Sharpe(****head) or Gates because they were great receiving TEs. Just not the total package of what I perceive a tight end to be. Gronkowski is the focal point of this offense and a much bigger part than Sharpe could ever hope to be in his super bowl wins.

Comparing him to existing HoFers isn't that useful, as mentioned, due to the massive passing stats inflation since most of them played.

I honestly think Gronk is the single best TE in NFL history. There's nothing he can't do with excellence. He run blocks extremely well. He pass protects extremely well. He runs short, medium, and deep patterns extremely well. He runs after the catch extremely well. He high points the ball extremely well. He goes low extremely well. He never drops the ball. He makes all the routine catches and so many spectacular ones. He runs over guys and he runs past them.

He's the best TE ever, but that doesn't necessarily make him the "greatest".

The thing that really stands out to me is the TDs, wow, just incredible. And if you do ypc, I bet you his destroys everybody. Just a beast. Love having him on our team.

In my opinion Gronk is HoFer right now.

If his career would end today, his production, talent, impact on the game and winning justify his enshrinement in Canton.

He obviously won't have the longevity as the others but his star just burns brighter than everyone elses.

The problem is that idiots like Ron Borges and Peter King are actual voters.

OT: I was blown away when Sunday night, Collingsworth quoted a Patriots player saying, "When Gronk is in the huddle, we feel like we can beat anyone."

....and he is in the same huddle as GoAT.

Crazy.

Nobody is ever going to confuse Jimmy Graham or Jason Witten with an offensive lineman.

Graham, certainly not. Witten was the best or one of the best blocking tight ends in the league for the better part of a decade, though. Gronk is basically the answer to "what would happen if you strapped rockets to Jason Witten's feet?"

Gonzalez and Witten were tremendous tight ends, but comparing peaks to peaks, Gronk is the best of all-time. He's an unstoppable force. The issue with him will be longevity. Gonzalez and Witten played forever, and Witten's still playing at a level that makes him better than most tight ends in the league. If Gronk can manage that sort of career, he'll go down as the greatest.

Jackie Smith and John Mackey have higher YPC than Gronk. But his is definitely up near the top.

If he walked away from football after this season he would probably have to wait awhile to get in. Not saying that he should but TEs are measured by Gonzales and Gates now which is stupid imp

What needs to be an X factor is he is a new age receiver but with an old school blocking mentality. BB compared him to Bavarro which is high praise. I'm sure some of the hall of fame tight ends that are in appreciate his style of play except maybe Sharpe.

If your were to double his games to 144

738 receptions
10,794 yards
128 tds

those are legitimate numbers, especially the TDs which would shatter the record. Still, I'm more of a old school guy and already consider Bavaro the best TE I've ever watch play up until Gronkowski. Not taking away anything from Gonzales, Sharpe(****head) or Gates because they were great receiving TEs. Just not the total package of what I perceive a tight end to be. Gronkowski is the focal point of this offense and a much bigger part than Sharpe could ever hope to be in his super bowl wins.

Sharpe was on Toucher and Rich last week, and he said Gronk, along with Watt and Antonio Brown are the only players hed pay to see. He likes Gronk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back