Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicilian

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I've been thinking this morning about the myriad of ways that Gronk can impact this offense. Admittedly, this is partially an attempt to psyche myself up for this offense which has looked decent at times and downright horrible at others. But I really think that Rob's impact goes beyond any one facet of the game and could be the night-and-day difference maker this offense needs right now:

1) Blocking in the running game - Aside from the usual line up off-tackle and run, Gronk is a beast at the wham block, something they've tried to do with Hooman and Mulligan with little success.

2) Pass protection - This part is multi-faceted. I didn't catch the Cinci game, but from what I read there were a few rushes where the Bengals overloaded one side. Those situations are mitigated when you can line Gronk up to aid in protection. On top of that, there is currently NO ONE on this team that commands the attention of a linebacker in coverage. Having Gronk as a passing threat means a team has fewer blitzing options from the LB group.

3) Drawing safeties - Since there aren't many linebackers that are going to cover Gronk alone, most teams will use combination coverages with LB's and safeties. That means one less safety to aid over the top, and more one on one matchups for Dobson and Thompkins deep. Not that those two often command double teams specifically, but on 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 12, teams will now have to decide: help for the two wideouts, or give one of them single coverage and double Gronk.

4) Last but not least, Red Zone play - This combines all three pluses that I mentioned above. Gronk will improve the goal line running plays that have been so meager through the first five games. He'll also draw attention away from the smaller receivers who need a little more space to maneuver in the red zone. Finally, he himself is possibly the best red zone target in the game, as he can outmuscle most defenders even if he's covered.

I think we've seen the past two years in the playoffs that even with a good offense that's clicking (with Welker and Hernandez), that losing Gronk or having him hobbled puts a serious dent in how much the Pats can do offensively. Now that he's coming back, it will be interesting to see if his play can have a trickle down effect on the other players and get this offense rolling again. Even if he needs a game or two to build back to his old self, I think his presence on the field will still be enough to help against the Saints.

I don't know what kind of impact you guys are expecting, but keep in mind he's had multiple surgeries on his arm and a back surgery since he last played football. It might be a while before he can be the Gronk he was before he got hurt.

Nice summary of Gronk's impact provided he's nearly fit and in able to absorb the gruesome blows on the field.

Given how his impact wasn't at its usual level in our last SB when he was obviously hobbled, and considering the valid points Condon lists, I am in sych with Condon's expectation that it might take Gronk a few games to back to groove and demonstrate his superior powers.

Pray that the above comes to fruit sooner than later.

I agree that, especially for this game and likely a few after, Gronk isn't going to be the same guy we saw over his first two seasons. I do think there's some relevance to his return still though, in that I doubt the Saints are going to assume he'll be ineffective to start. They have to gameplan for him, at least at the beginning of the game.

Now, if they do gameplan for him and A) It's clear he's not up to speed yet and B) Other Pats weapons are getting open, Payton and Ryan are good enough coaches that they'll adjust to that quickly. It may be important for McDaniels to draw up some plays that feature Gronk early, just to keep it in their heads that this guy can hurt them. Should be an interesting side note to watch on Sunday.

Gronk is definitely a great add to the offense but he is not the savior of it.

Gronk's return won't help the rookies learn to catch,read routes or be in sync with Brady,they have to improve regardless of who is playing or not playing and Brady can't simply zero in on Gronk and Amendola every pass or the offense will get too predictable.

Until these rookies get to a point where they have got it and limit mistakes as rookies tend to do,this offense will continue to be in the mid rankings at best.

I really hope that teams assume that Gronk forgot how to play football.

The easy math is this:

So far our TEs have averaged 1 catch for 8 yards per game.

Even if you think Gronk is a shell of himself and averages just 4 catches for 50 yards (ie, a 64-catch, 800 yard pace), that is an improvement of 3 catches and 42 yards per game.

Adding 42 yards of passing to the offense would improve the team's passing YPG rank from 21st to 11th.

And that analysis has no adjustment for the red zone boost, formation flexibility as well as (most important IMO) Brady's trust level on key 3rd downs.

I hope Gronk is back this week (I thought it might even take him a few more weeks), but I hope we (and the team) do not put too much pressure on him his first game back after multiple surgeries to be the 2nd coming of the Messiah. He'll probably be used as a blocker and a decoy more than a pass catcher until he gets his game legs under him.

I hope Gronk is back this week (I thought it might even take him a few more weeks), but I hope we (and the team) do not put too much pressure on him his first game back after multiple surgeries to be the 2nd coming of the Messiah. He'll probably be used as a blocker and a decoy more than a pass catcher until he gets his game legs under him.

Very possible. I'm trying to remember who they played in Gronk's first game back last year (Miami?), and I think the gameplan was very similar. He did a lot of blocking, caught a few passes, and overall had a quiet day. That may be the case again this Sunday.

I've been thinking this morning about the myriad of ways that Gronk can impact this offense. Admittedly, this is partially an attempt to psyche myself up for this offense which has looked decent at times and downright horrible at others. But I really think that Rob's impact goes beyond any one facet of the game and could be the night-and-day difference maker this offense needs right now:

1) Blocking in the running game - Aside from the usual line up off-tackle and run, Gronk is a beast at the wham block, something they've tried to do with Hooman and Mulligan with little success.

2) Pass protection - This part is multi-faceted. I didn't catch the Cinci game, but from what I read there were a few rushes where the Bengals overloaded one side. Those situations are mitigated when you can line Gronk up to aid in protection. On top of that, there is currently NO ONE on this team that commands the attention of a linebacker in coverage. Having Gronk as a passing threat means a team has fewer blitzing options from the LB group.

3) Drawing safeties - Since there aren't many linebackers that are going to cover Gronk alone, most teams will use combination coverages with LB's and safeties. That means one less safety to aid over the top, and more one on one matchups for Dobson and Thompkins deep. Not that those two often command double teams specifically, but on 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 12, teams will now have to decide: help for the two wideouts, or give one of them single coverage and double Gronk.

4) Last but not least, Red Zone play - This combines all three pluses that I mentioned above. Gronk will improve the goal line running plays that have been so meager through the first five games. He'll also draw attention away from the smaller receivers who need a little more space to maneuver in the red zone. Finally, he himself is possibly the best red zone target in the game, as he can outmuscle most defenders even if he's covered.

I think we've seen the past two years in the playoffs that even with a good offense that's clicking (with Welker and Hernandez), that losing Gronk or having him hobbled puts a serious dent in how much the Pats can do offensively. Now that he's coming back, it will be interesting to see if his play can have a trickle down effect on the other players and get this offense rolling again. Even if he needs a game or two to build back to his old self, I think his presence on the field will still be enough to help against the Saints.

You forgot extra point special teams... their play has been erratic at best since the start of the season. I expect Gronkowski to make an immediate impact here. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes