PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gronk rules! It's not our O that worries me. They're going to be unstoppable this year. Our D, however. They kinda suck.

Jesus that was a sweet play. He dragged him like 3 yards.

Grankowski is being compared with Russ Francis and Ben Coates. He is about their height, with 20 more pounds. Is this all premature before he plays a game? Sure, it is! But I think he is indeed the real deal.

The tight end position has gone from a major weakness to a major strength. Congrats to the FO!

For us older fans 40+, this guy could be our modern version of Russ Francis

Gronks and Hernandez are going to be one hell of a Tight end tandem.
I hope the Defense can step it up because this offense is going to be hard to stop. Even without a running attack but I'm confident we'll have that too.
I base this confidence on absolutely nothing but my fanboyship. :p

Hey I was the first person to call him Gronk; right after the draft. [note: I have no idea if he was the Gronk-ster in college.]

Sure, you were the first. You and a million others.

GRONK!

anybody can claim "Gronk!"...but it is I, the inimitable Joe Kerr, who first coined..

GRONKED!!!

so put THAT in your Peking duck and smoke it...

6a00e550a9fd7d8834010536b8c5c1970b-800wi
images

Last edited:
Out of all the TE's BB has drafted. I think Gronk is the one BB has been looking for all arong. He has the size, skill, blocking and catching ability. He has attitude but you can tell he really enjoys football and it contagious.

5th try is a charm.

Click on the link for some definitions for Gronk. I like the second definition.

More Gronking

For all you long term Patriot watchers. Wasn't there a Pats TE who tore up a knee on a similar goal line play?

For all you long term Patriot watchers. Wasn't there a Pats TE who tore up a knee on a similar goal line play?

are you thinking of Mark Bavaro maybe?

Good one. Now that you mention it, I remember watching that play on TV. It was Bob Windsor in 1974:

Windsor is best known for a winning touchdown play while with the Patriots that he made in a regular season game in 1974 against the Minnesota Vikings. Both teams had 5-1 records going into the game. The Vikings had been to Super Bowl VIII the season before, while the upstart Patriots were coming off seven consecutive losing seasons and off to their best start since 1966. The Patriots won the game 17-14, and Windsor scored the winning touchdown with no time left on the clock by taking a short pass from Jim Plunkett and breaking several tackles before dragging a tackler into the Vikings end zone who had a hold of his left leg. Windsor severely injured his left knee on the play and was out for the season. He never was the same player after that and played only one more season with the Patriots before retiring.

Wikipedia entry

Ironically, the Patriot's drafted Russ Francis that very post season and he of course supplanted Windsor immediately as the starter. Francis was awesome his first few years with the Patriots, and Gronk reminds me of him physically...

Good one. Now that you mention it, I remember watching that play on TV. It was Bob Windsor in 1974:

Wikipedia entry

Ironically, the Patriot's drafted Russ Francis that very post season and he of course supplanted Windsor immediately as the starter. Francis was awesome his first few years with the Patriots, and Gronk reminds me of him physically...

Awesome info. I TOTALLY remember that play. IIRC, he got it low from the front, probably broke his leg on the hit, and kept going. I actually signed up for an account here using the screen name BobWindsor, but never got the account going.

Anyway -- I'm like everyone else in loving Gronk's football gifts and effort. But I can't help thinking that someone in Foxboro is schooling him on protecting the ball (TD #1) and his body (both TDs) a little better. EVen big guys can get beaten down in a hurry in the NFL.

Last edited:
Without checking into it...Has anyone seen what the highly heralded top pick Gresham has done so far as a Bengal?

Let me google that for you

:)

From this story, he seems to be doing well:
Jermaine Gresham, Terrell Owens help lead Cincinnati to victory - Oklahoma City Oklahoma Sooners | Examiner.com

Former Oklahoma Sooners tight end Jermaine Gresham grabbed three balls for 34 yards. His totals in the past two preseason games are six catches for 71 yards.

i think we need a Gronkisms thread

I keep reading about rookie TEs around the league who are opening eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if 2010 ends up remembered as the year of the TE.

... led by the Pats. I know that back before the draft, the National Football Post had Hernandez and Gronkowski rated 1 and 2 among TEs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back