PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk and Bennett best TE combo in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marty is not better than Coates in his prime.
That isn't the question.
But he is a better blocker which is 40% of a TE job and he is in a pace this year (with 2 1/2 games already with a terrible QB) to have a season statistically that would rank as one of Coates best. Coates had 1 1000 yard season and only 2 over 750.
The point is though that Gronk is so much better than everyone else in that group that him plus any of the other 3 beats any other combination.

Murderer & Gronk were better duo at this point imo. The murderer was an incredible talent in this offense and could've had a HOF career.
No no no.
Hernandez was a TERRIBLE blocker.
He was an oversized slot receiver. He was definitely someone the patriots could find a matchup advantage for but he was not by any means special.

No no no.
Hernandez was a TERRIBLE blocker.
He was an oversized slot receiver. He was definitely someone the patriots could find a matchup advantage for but he was not by any means special.

That seems about right. But to say he wasn't anything special? I'ma have to disagree with that

That isn't the question.
But he is a better blocker which is 40% of a TE job and he is in a pace this year (with 2 1/2 games already with a terrible QB) to have a season statistically that would rank as one of Coates best. Coates had 1 1000 yard season and only 2 over 750.
The point is though that Gronk is so much better than everyone else in that group that him plus any of the other 3 beats any other combination.

OK I see where you are going with this.

I think you need to look at the pairings

We can agree Gronk is superior to all 3 in receiving and blocking.

I would take Marty as a blocker over Coates and Sharpe

I would take Sharpe as a receiver over all but Gronk

I would take Coates as a receiver over Marty

While not having the size of the others but quicker than all, Sharpe was pretty decent in the DEN/Gibbs zone blocking scheme.

Coates was an average to good pass blocker. Run blocking was below average.

So....

If you want to say #1 and #4 beats out #2 and #3 because #1 is so head and shoulders then that is your position. I'm not sure I would go that route.

While not having the size of the others but quicker than all, Sharpe was pretty decent in the DEN/Gibbs zone blocking scheme.

So....

If you want to say #1 and #4 beats out #2 and #3 because #1 is so head and shoulders then that is your position. I'm not sure I would go that route.
You have to look at the players as a whole.

Remove Gronk, he is a freak. Coates isn't really that much better than Bennett. If Bennett plays the same amount of games as Coates did he will have a similar career. His reception % is already higher. Bennett is a better blocker. Coates would have to be clearly superior to Bennett to even warrant consideration much less a discussion about it.

Its way to close and indicating you would even consider Sharpe/Coates over Bennett/Gronk in primes really slights Gronk because you must not see the delta between Gronk and Sharpe nor the true lack of one between Bennett and Coates.

So....

Yes Gronk is that much better.
But you are severely under rating Bennett.
He is on the way to a season that will be better than every season Coates has except one (possibly 2)
Sharpe was a better receiver but horrible blocker. We was really an oversized wr.

That seems about right. But to say he wasn't anything special? I'ma have to disagree with that
I don't consider a guy who is weak at 40% of his job and fits into a scheme to produce decent, fat from great numbers to be special

You have to look at the players as a whole.

Remove Gronk, he is a freak. Coates isn't really that much better than Bennett. If Bennett plays the same amount of games as Coates did he will have a similar career. His reception % is already higher. Bennett is a better blocker. Coates would have to be clearly superior to Bennett to even warrant consideration much less a discussion about it.

Its way to close and indicating you would even consider Sharpe/Coates over Bennett/Gronk in primes really slights Gronk because you must not see the delta between Gronk and Sharpe nor the true lack of one between Bennett and Coates.
I think Coates is a superior receiver than Bennett so it is a discussion. Catch % doesn't mean much as Coates prime was 20 years ago when received were killed. Sharpe was a better receiver as well. He did very well in DENs zone blocking scheme.

And not murder anyone.

Exactly. I would like Hernandez with Gronk but that's not happening any more. Can Hernandez get a weekend relish program so he can play for the Pats?

Yes Gronk is that much better.
But you are severely under rating Bennett.
He is on the way to a season that will be better than every season Coates has except one (possibly 2)
Sharpe was a better receiver but horrible blocker. We was really an oversized wr.
Sharpe was a much better blocker than you give him credit for. Watch the SB vs the Packers.

I think Coates is a superior receiver than Bennett so it is a discussion. Catch % doesn't mean much as Coates prime was 20 years ago when received were killed. Sharpe was a better receiver as well. He did very well in DENs zone blocking scheme.
He is not superior. Better??? maybe? although Coates had a better QB throwing him the ball unless you want to argue Jay Cutler and Tony Romo were better than Drew Bledsoe.

Coates was great Bennett is also great. Dont see enough of a Delta between then to warrant even considering Sharpe over Gronk which was the original discussions.

I think you are kinda doubling down on the orig statement and its not working.

He is not superior. Better??? maybe? although Coates had a better QB throwing him the ball unless you want to argue Jay Cutler and Tony Romo were better than Drew Bledsoe.

Coates was great Bennett is also great. Dont see enough of a Delta between then to warrant even considering Sharpe over Gronk which was the original discussions.

I think you are kinda doubling down on the orig statement and its not working.
I doubling down because I dont agree with you and you are twisting my position.

Who said Sharpe is better than Gronk? Not me.

Sharpe was a top 10 all-time TE. He was no slouch and better than you think he was.

Overall, Coates was better than Bennett.

As a collective, Sharpe/Coates is my choice over Gronk/Bennett.

Romo was better than Bledsoe as well.

I doubling down because I dont agree with you and you are twisting my position.

Who said Sharpe is better than Gronk? Not me.

Sharpe was a top 10 all-time TE. He was no slouch and better than you think he was.

Overall, Coates was better than Bennett.

As a collective, Sharpe/Coates is my choice over Gronk/Bennett.

Romo was better than Bledsoe as well.

Actually I think its an issue of nobody agreeing with you.

Sharpe better than Gronk mentioned above is a total strawman

I know how good Sharpe was. I have been around a bit and it dosent matter since he is being compared to the GOAT TE

You can choose whomever you want. Just dont come here and try to BS people that Coates was some superior player to Bennett. He was not so you must think Gronk was only marginally better than Sharpe which is laughable.

Sharpe was a much better blocker than you give him credit for. Watch the SB vs the Packers.
Just can't agree with you there. Sharpe was just not a capable blocker.

Actually I think its an issue of nobody agreeing with you.

Sharpe better than Gronk mentioned above is a total strawman

I know how good Sharpe was. I have been around a bit and it dosent matter since he is being compared to the GOAT TE

You can choose whomever you want. Just dont come here and try to BS people that Coates was some superior player to Bennett. He was not so you must think Gronk was only marginally better than Sharpe which is laughable.

I couldnt care less who agrees with me.

Sharpe was a HoF TE who was a great pass catcher as well as a good blocker despite his size. He was perfect for DENs zone blocking scheme. He was not better than Gronk.

Coates in his prime is better than Bennett 's prime. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft