PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Jennings spurned Pats offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
he heard it from suggs terrell

I'm grasping? Who said anything about Mario Williams, who I agree is grossly overpaid. Man, you have got to be the biggest homer on this board. You make Andy look fair and rational. Are you related to BB or something? ;)
This D has been quite bad for a long time. There's no way to spin this.

Ok, let's stay close to home. The Pats picked up a young and A list free agent in Roosevelt Colvin and he broke his hip in the second game of the season of his first year. It had nothing to do with him being old.

I was just pointing out how ridiculous your argument that because Carter was an older player he got injured. Young players get injured all the time.

Run DMC said:
2010-#25 in total yards, a respectable #8 in pts/g, #1 worst team in 3rd down conversions! 47%! Awful. And you know damn well that was due to lack of pass rush and garbage dbs.

You said the defense has been crap since 2007. Total crap.
Now your evidence of crap, total crap is being 8th in points allowed in a 14-2 season because while allowing the 8th fewest points they weren't good on 3rd down? Wouldn't crap, total crap, allow a bunch of points after those 3rd down conversions?

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

BTW, what do you think goes through the minds of young studs in the NFL? Do you think they want to come here and be nickel and dimed to death? Our reputation amongst the NFL players is at rock bottom. Unless they're old and washed up, and want a last ditch crack at a ring. Thank you again, Tom.

Most young studs are going to go to whoever pays them the money. I will go back to Mario Williams. Do you think that Buffalo was his first, second, or even 15th choice all money being equal? Do you think young players sign with Cleveland, Oakland, KC, etc. for their reputations.

Plenty of players want to come here for a chance at a ring or to play with Brady and/or Belichick.

The fact that many young studs chase the money is why so many high priced free agents go bust. They don't care about whether they will fit in a system or they will be put in the best position to succeed as long as they make their money. And guys who do that tend to get lazy when they have their money and things aren't goign smoothly.

Run DMC said:
BTW, what do you think goes through the minds of young studs in the NFL? Do you think they want to come here and be nickel and dimed to death? Our reputation amongst the NFL players is at rock bottom. Unless they're old and washed up, and want a last ditch crack at a ring. Thank you again, Tom.

They will come here if we offer the most. Since we usually only offer those kind of deals to keep our own young studs, they probably think someone else offered more. The rest is a figment of your imagination.

They will come here if we offer the most. Since we usually only offer those kind of deals to keep our own young studs, they probably think someone else offered more. The rest is a figment of your imagination.

Yeah, Brady, Mankins, Wilfork, Gronk, and Hernandez are all among the highest paid players at their position. Mayo is up there. They made Seymour the highest paid defensive lineman when they paid him. Moss got paid well. They just overpaid Arrington.

I mean, this has to be trolling at this point...doesn't it?

I think we're posting some opposite ends of the spectrum viewpoints. Somewhere in the middle of our arguments may lie the truth. Ironically, living outside of New England, I usually find myself obviously vehemently defending this team from every kind of NFL fan you can imagine. I mean, lets face it, we've been on a run here the last 12 years which I'm sure any fan would give their left one for. That being said, when I ask myself am I comfortable playing a team like the Ravens in the playoffs, I must honestly reflect to myself, I know some schmuck like Joe Flacco is going to carve us up because our pass defense is atrocious. I can face that.I've seen it a hundred times in the past 6 years. Denial ain't a river in Egypt. Maybe with the signing of Talib and a few others that may change.

Ps, I'm not advocating signing a bunch of divas to multi-million dollar contracts but it would be nice to have one shutdownesque corner and maybe 1 bad azz DE who is in the prime of their careers? Is that so much to ask?
We now return to our regularly scheduled ranting. :eek:

I think we're posting some opposite ends of the spectrum viewpoints. Somewhere in the middle of our arguments may lie the truth. Ironically, living outside of New England, I usually find myself obviously vehemently defending this team from every kind of NFL fan you can imagine. I mean, lets face it, we've been on a run here the last 12 years which I'm sure any fan would give their left one for. That being said, when I ask myself am I comfortable playing a team like the Ravens in the playoffs, I must honestly reflect to myself, I know some schmuck like Joe Flacco is going to carve us up because our pass defense is atrocious. I can face that.I've seen it a hundred times in the past 6 years. Denial ain't a river in Egypt. Maybe with the signing of Talib and a few others that may change.

Hundreds lol...

Ps, I'm not advocating signing a bunch of divas to multi-million dollar contracts but it would be nice to have one shutdownesque corner and maybe 1 bad azz DE who is in the prime of their careers? Is that so much to ask?
We now return to our regularly scheduled ranting. :eek:
If you feel so strongly, buy an NFL team and install yourself as GM.

I'm reasonably pleased with the way the Patriots conduct their business.

I think you have to realize that it is difficult to field both a high power O and D at the same time. When you add resources here you take from there. The FO does the best they can. Perhaps they figure that with such a great O that they can have a D that is a little porus..factoring in rule changes and how defenses can play these days.

Overall their formula seems to work. Granted the end result isnt always perfect but we are a major success as a team.

Again as I stated in another thread. Winning the SB is about having the right players, not the best players. Its one game...so whomever plays mistake free football wins. It is difficult to do that for even the best players.

Also, I think the pats might favor a team approach with the CBs Its a passing league and maybe thy think that the key to the unit as a whole might be more in the strength of the team as a unit and not about pure raw all pro talent. Granted Talib is a great player who made a noticeable difference.

Also, for all the lamenting I see about not getting star players please do remember that Wes Welker and Asante Samuel were the ones that technically (not saying they were easy plays but they were catchable) cost us two rings.

Hundreds lol...

We've played 100+ games in the last 6 years and pretty much been carved up passing in each one so yeah...

Jesus, people are so damn literal.

First, the Pats lost their #1 CB in the AFCCG. Up until he went down, he was doing a very good job blanketing Boldin. When he went down, they were forced to move Arrington outside and that was where the problems started. If the Pats had Revis instead of Talib and Revis went down, the same problem would happen.

Second, the offense had five trips to the red zone and scored 13 points. That had a little to do with the loss. Again, that can be partially attributed to the loss of Gronk who is Brady's go to red zone target. But there were several miscues like Welker dropping a critical third down pass, Hernandez not going out of bounds when the Pats needed to stop the clock, Brady mismanaging the clock at the end of the half, etc.

Third, you are overstating it with hundreds of times in the last six years since the Pats haven't lost many games in the last six years.

Fourth, no one said the Pats didn't need to improve the defense. I think most people agree that improving the defense was the biggest priority this offseason. We just disagree that you need to make a huge splash in free agency. This defense is starting to come together and really only needs a few pieces to be good. These pieces don't have to be marquee talent.

We've played 100+ games in the last 6 years and pretty much been carved up passing in each one so yeah...

Pretty much each one? Really? You want to talk about hyperbole.

A lot of teams had statistically great passing games because they were down so much and passed most of the second half. Don't confuse that with being carved up pretty much every game. There are some games they are, but others it just looks like that if you look at how many yards they threw for.

In 2009 alone we had 10 games where we allowed under 20 points.

6 games that year where we allowed 10 points or under.

You are the Red Herring king.

Did Greg Jennings reject New England Patriots' offer? - NFL.com

"The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn reported the Packers proposed a deal that averaged $8 million per year. McGinn added the New England Patriots were willing to put up $6 million per year. "

Our cheapness is consistent, if not hilarious.:D

I am truly starting to believe that about 90% of the NFL community, including fans and players, are incredibly dense. I hear words like "cheap" and phrases like "not willing to spend money to win championships."

After all this time, do you really not understand the basic concept of the salary cap?

The "big spending" teams, such as the Washington Redskins, who grab headlines for all of their big free agency splashes... do you realize that we spend as much as them?

There is no such thing as value if you don't factor in the cost. That's what no one seems to understand. The Patriots are not cheap in any way, shape, or form.

I am truly starting to believe that about 90% of the NFL community, including fans and players, are incredibly dense. I hear words like "cheap" and phrases like "not willing to spend money to win championships."

After all this time, do you really not understand the basic concept of the salary cap?

The "big spending" teams, such as the Washington Redskins, who grab headlines for all of their big free agency splashes... do you realize that we spend as much as them?

There is no such thing as value if you don't factor in the cost. That's what no one seems to understand. The Patriots are not cheap in any way, shape, or form.

How true.

The "difference makers" in the NFL, according to the argument, admittedly don't come cheap. So if you pay top dollar for a Peppers, or a Manning, who fills in the roster, 51 more players with the $80 or so million to spare? And the argument is the Pats are falling short? If Peppers was such a asset, why have the Bears averaged a little over 9 wins a season with him?

Build a whole roster, or add a few high value players. Do enough on offense and defense to field a team that can compete for a title. Teams typically cannot pay big contracts and build a roster (ask the Ravens, who just paid that high price for Flacco and are bleeding talent right now as a result).

And yes, given the cost in ticket sales of fielding a garbage team while holding cap money from contracts, it doesn't make much sense to be 'cheap'.

Huh? The Pats traded up to get Chandler Jones to get a pass rush. They had two of the best pass rushers of the last decade in for a visit on Friday even if they are bit long in the tooth.

The Pats have drafted a half dozen or so DBs in the first and second round since Asante left. Yes, most of them have been busts, but to say they haven't addressed the issue is ludicrous. Arguing they did a poor job of it is valid though.

Again, paying for marquee free agents is a crap shoot. They could have paid Mario Williams a fortune to come here to to produce the same amount of sacks that Andre Carter or Mark Anderson produced the year before.

Trying to address the CB issue and actually addressing it are not the same thing. You've admitted that the majority of the picks dedicated to that area of the team were busts, so that's a good start. The fact of the matter is it took Belichick almost five years to fix that part of the team. It also effectively played a very big part in why the Patriots weren't hoisting the Lombardi at the conclusion of Super Bowl XLVI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News