Welcome to PatsFans.com

Great Video - Anatomy of Brady to Moss record pass play

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by GoPats, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoPats

GoPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. BRADY2MOSSS

BRADY2MOSSS On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

nice td wow

3. Seacoast Fan

Seacoast Fan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0

#75 Jersey

thanks for the link, that was good. There is also a video there of Moss top catches.

4. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

5. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +85 / 4 / -3

LOL, look closely. This is not what everyone is portraying it to be. Brady is throwing to Moss BEFORE the CB bites on Welker's curl.

Brady was going to Moss all the way.

Look at it closely. Brady is set and already in his throwing motion to Moss before the CB even breaks toward Welker.

Brady is even ballsier than I thought. We all assumed he had Randy in one-on-one coverage on that play, and decided to go to him.

No, he made that decision before the CB broke!

6. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

great link. thanks. Fun to see Welker's and Bruschi's reactions that weren't shown during the broadcast.

7. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Yea, I see the same thing. He either knew they were going to break on welker or he just wanted to throw into double coverage for the 23rd time this season :)

8. Vern

Vern Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He read the coverage. Part of the read is seeing the safety coming over the top, so the CB didn't have to break yet for him to see right off that it was a trap technique they were doing. Moss running right past the CB is another tell tale sign. No way speed alone lets you get by a guy who in 10 yards who is already 5 yards off to begin with.

What makes that play is that BOTH Moss and Brady read the coverage BEFORE the CB breaks - Moss to blaze past the safety and Brady to throw it as deep as possible. If you only make the read AFTER the break, then it's too late because either the pressure collapses the pocket and you can't step into the throw, or the safety has too much time to get over and get in the way.

This is what people mean when they say Brady is so good (and Moss is so smart) at dissecting a defense. It's the speed with which he reads it, not just THAT he knew what it was.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  9. Satchboogie3

Satchboogie3 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Yea, Brady wasn't intending to go with Moss. He read the coverage and saw it was a trap play - before it played out. He could tell that the CB on Moss was about to cut in to Welker so he knew Moss would be single covered by the safety and let it fly.

10. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +866 / 6 / -14

#75 Jersey

Considering Welker was directly in the line of site and the cornerback only needed to be leaning the wrong way because it's Moss, I don't know how you could come to that conclusion just from watching a clip.

I'll trust the guys on the field.

11. Patriot Power

Patriot Power On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

.... :agree: ....

12. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +866 / 6 / -14

#75 Jersey

The corner was never in a position to cover Moss. He could see it was a blown coverage immediately by looking at either of the corner or safety who were conveniently in the line of sight of his primary receiver.

A Christmas present.

13. Tip_Drill_81

Tip_Drill_81 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Great Post!

It was a great read by Brady.
    Although to clarify: Even though i believe Moss is very smart at reading Defensive Schemes...After reading the coverage, he didn't alter his route on this particular play. He just took advantage of what he saw as a Big Chance to get make a Big Play. Like he said, it was a 9-Route to begin with, taking a Safety and Corner with him deep so that Welker could get open. And he ran the 9-Route to perfection.

Great job by Moss to run past the Safety and catch the Ball...
    and Amazing Read by Brady (Pre and Post Snap) to complete the TD Bomb.

14. upstater1

Ratings:
    +85 / 4 / -3

Good points. You make a convincing case. Shows how amazing these guys are to make split second decisions like that.

15. upstater1

Ratings:
    +85 / 4 / -3

I really don't understand what you wrote. Leaning the wrong way because it's Moss? and yeah, I know Welker was in the line of site.

I came to that conclusion from watching the clip because Brady was throwing before the CB broke on Welker.

16. upstater1

Ratings:
    +85 / 4 / -3

As Brady gets set to throw, the CB is still running with Moss, and the safety actually bites in as though he's going toward Welker. They tried to make it seem as though the safety was helping the nickel back on Welker. Actually, I think Butler was so far out of position not only because of Moss's speed but because their plan was to make it seem as though he was doubling Welker. You can clearly see that Butler is moving toward Welker BEFORE Brady sets to throw the ball (at the same time the CB is running stride for stride with Welker).

I'm convinced by what you all have written about Brady's pre-read, but in the video it's clear that Brady makes these decisions because he knows what they are going to do, rather than reacting to what they actually do. Neither the safety Butler moves toward Moss nor the CB peels away from him prior to Brady's throw.

17. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +750 / 16 / -7

#3 Jersey

I think I fixed the original post. :)

18. Grogan's neck roll

Grogan's neck roll On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Also, from the field level camera looking into the backfield, one of the last replays, you get a good shot of Brady's eyes quickly darting from Welker to Moss, hitching a bit, then letting it go. I think he read it, didn't just guess right.

19. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,396 / 10 / -11

#75 Jersey

I have to disagree, here, Upstater.

Watch around 3:33 of that video. Both Welker and Moss are in the same line of sight. At that very moment, from the secondary camera angle, Brady is in the windup motion and you can see his eyes actually lock onto Welker. He's actually in the BEGINNING of his throwing motion when he CHANGES his shoulder angle towards Moss. I've replayed that one second 10 times this morning.

It's one incredible play, and there was some GREAT camera work and analysis by NFL.com on this.

What happens between 3:33 and 3:34 of that video is what separates Tom Brady from every other QB on the face of this earth.

20. Grogan's neck roll

Grogan's neck roll On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Exactly what I was referring to, thanks for nailing down the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.