PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great Video - Anatomy of Brady to Moss record pass play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to disagree, here, Upstater.

Watch around 3:33 of that video. Both Welker and Moss are in the same line of sight. At that very moment, from the secondary camera angle, Brady is in the windup motion and you can see his eyes actually lock onto Welker. He's actually in the BEGINNING of his throwing motion when he CHANGES his shoulder angle towards Moss. I've replayed that one second 10 times this morning.

It's one incredible play, and there was some GREAT camera work and analysis by NFL.com on this.

What happens between 3:33 and 3:34 of that video is what separates Tom Brady from every other QB on the face of this earth.

Thanks. I wish I could see it on a bigger screen. That's wild to think he actually changed his target in midthrow and the ball was still on. I have no doubt that the CB begins biting on Welker while the ball is still in Brady's hand, but I'm just flabbergasted that Brady was able to make that adjustment in the middle of his throw. That's exactly why I assumed that he didn't.

LOL, look closely. This is not what everyone is portraying it to be. Brady is throwing to Moss BEFORE the CB bites on Welker's curl.

Brady was going to Moss all the way.

Look at it closely. Brady is set and already in his throwing motion to Moss before the CB even breaks toward Welker.

Brady is even ballsier than I thought. We all assumed he had Randy in one-on-one coverage on that play, and decided to go to him.

No, he made that decision before the CB broke!

Sorry. The CB was facing Brady and not running with Moss BEFORE Tom threw the pass. Even though he hadn't 'broken yet' .... it was immaterial as the CB's postion and facing signalled the trap. It's plain as day if you look closely at which direction the CB is facing.

R

Last edited:
Brady and Moss read the play beautifully. The deep safety fell asleep. He should have gotten deeper to begin with, but I think he thought the ball was going to Welker. The Giants blitzed on the play, which was why the Giants trapped Welker. Between a pass rush that should force Brady to throw the ball sooner (and shorter) and trapping Brady's usual hot read in Welker (who had ~10 catches at that point in the game), the Giants thought they had the perfect defense on 3rd-and-10. The last thing the deep safety thought was that Brady would have time to chuck that ball deep to Moss. Oops.

That was one of the best play breakdowns I've seen.

Regards,
Chris

this also shows welker's importance. remember all the haters saying he sucked. now he pulls a double because he is such a threat to move the chains and randy is wide open. pick your poison. just don't pick the wrong one.

Sorry. The CB was facing Brady and not running with Moss BEFORE Tom threw the pass. Even though he hadn't 'broken yet' .... it was immaterial as the CB's postion and facing signalled the trap. It's plain as day if you look closely at which direction the CB is facing.

R

We're looking at a completely different video. The CB is clearly running with Moss before Brady throws it.

LOL, look closely. This is not what everyone is portraying it to be. Brady is throwing to Moss BEFORE the CB bites on Welker's curl.

Look at it closely. Brady is set and already in his throwing motion to Moss before the CB even breaks toward Welker.

Brady is even ballsier than I thought. We all assumed he had Randy in one-on-one coverage on that play, and decided to go to him.

I disagree. Before breaking on Welker, the DB would have to turn and give up pursuit of Moss. That's what Brady saw when he threw it down field.

The over the top safety gives a stutter step towards Welker. This could be because of the trap defense, or perhaps Brady faked that way. Moss, Brady, and Belichick all said it was a trap defense, so that's what I'll believe. Anyhow, that slight stutter step gave Moss the opportunity to blow by the coverage. Brady read the same thing at the same time and history was made.

It does look close, I'll give you that. I'd imagine Brady and Moss are just so in the zone that it's not even funny. One misstep, one second of hesitation by the defender results in Moss being open.

It's kind of like when you get really good at a video game and you can kind of just feel things are they are happening. Except Brady and Moss are 10x better at football than you are at Halo.

Not according to Brady.

He sees the field better than you think. He anticipated Welker being covered.

Yea, Brady wasn't intending to go with Moss. He read the coverage and saw it was a trap play - before it played out. He could tell that the CB on Moss was about to cut in to Welker so he knew Moss would be single covered by the safety and let it fly.

I agree....he probably saw it in the CB's eyes. After all....does anyone read a defense better than Tom Brady? Include Marino and Montana in that equation.

No WAY! Look again. The CB and already stopped covering Moss and started back toward welker when the film is stopped for analysis. Go back and look. Brady hadn't thrown yet.

I think the play was suppose to go to Welker, but when Brady saw how the corner was playing Moss (he turned his back to Moss), Brady knew Moss was going to be open, so he let'er rip. If you look at the high video, the way the corner was playing Moss didn't fool Brady. It goes to show how much Brady sees as each play progresses..... Moss ran the "9" route which was to draw the corner and safety deep but once he saw the corner turn he just took off and hoped that Brady would throw it to him deep. Much better play on Brady's part.......

I love how Moss calls Welker "Wes Welker", rather than just "Wes" or "Welker". I also like how he says "Tommy".

That Moss is one cool mother-watchyourmouth. But I'm just talking about Moss.

At 2:46 you see the CB break towards Wes Welker. It's so clear.

As Brady gets set to throw, the CB is still running with Moss, and the safety actually bites in as though he's going toward Welker. They tried to make it seem as though the safety was helping the nickel back on Welker. Actually, I think Butler was so far out of position not only because of Moss's speed but because their plan was to make it seem as though he was doubling Welker. You can clearly see that Butler is moving toward Welker BEFORE Brady sets to throw the ball (at the same time the CB is running stride for stride with Welker).

I'm convinced by what you all have written about Brady's pre-read, but in the video it's clear that Brady makes these decisions because he knows what they are going to do, rather than reacting to what they actually do. Neither the safety Butler moves toward Moss nor the CB peels away from him prior to Brady's throw.

While I see your point,

1. The CB sure didn't seem to be accelerating to try to stay with Moss.
2. If Butler HAD doubled Welker, Moss would still have been single covered, with the CB on inside technique, which is still a pretty good bet for Brady.

In other news:

I've thought ever since the first instant replays that Moss's drop was caused by him not locating the ball in time -- losing it in the lights, as it were. He sort of looked bewildered, he waved his arms wide apart, he DID react slowly to the ball -- I think the evidence is pretty conclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes