Welcome to PatsFans.com

Great tidbit from Peter King on Samuel

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by NE_PATS_FAN_54, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NE_PATS_FAN_54

NE_PATS_FAN_54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/03/02/cleveland/2.html

was thinking the same exact thing when i saw the press conference
  2. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Re: Great tidbit from Peter King

That quote is getting taken out of context.

They asked him why he didn't take his tour to any other team and he responded that the money was enough and wanted to go somewhere where he could get back to the Super Bowl.....
  3. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Finally !! Someone has the b@lls to say what us fans have been saying for years ! It always makes me laught when someone, for example, signs with Detroit or Arizona (no offense to those teams) from a Super Bowl team and says things like Assante did.
  4. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

I don't blame them for going for the money, it's what almost anyone would do in their position. But what annoys me more than the fake "superbowl" bit is the "I have a family to feed" crap. At $6 million a year, if your family can't eat it's time to start thinking about fat camp.
  5. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

when they showed that clip right after the PC on ESPNEWS, they came back to the announcer and he says "someone should tell Asante that he just played in the superbowl with the pats, while the eagles didn't even make the playoffs" :rocker:
  6. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

well he also provides this tidbit

if there is no tape , why no mea culpa from all these media idiots ?.what is to be done if there is no tape which has caused so much uproar and defamation for the pats ?
    Pats are in a no win situation. Any mud thrown at them will stick.
  7. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Hmm. So maybe he should have said:

"Look, I know the other players and coaches in my new locker room won't come close to what I've been accustomed to. But if you were offered my kind of money to put up with this pathetic bunch of losers, wouldn't you take it too? Oh, and a personal message to the fans of Philadelphia: you all suck."

Yeah, Asante was shoveling a lot of manure in that press conference. But when you take a new job, you say nice things about your new employers. Then you go shopping for your new Lamborghini.
  8. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0

#61 Jersey

Asante never impressed me as particularly bright, but something like this might have been appropriate:

"I appreciate the faith put in me by this organization. As I enter the prime of my career, I will work hard to justify their generous investment in my proven abilities. I look forward to helping the Eagles compete for a championship."
  9. Watson's IQ

Watson's IQ Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I agree with whoever said the quote is being taken out of context. But let's also not pretend that he signed with the Falcons and is talking about "leading them to the promised land". The Eagles are still a very good team, in fact they were probably the best team in the NFC not to make the playoffs last year. They're also arguably the best team this decade that hasn't won a Super Bowl, and I don't think they're going to suddenly slip into irrelevancy. Is it more likely that the Eagles make a Super Bowl than the Patriots in the next few years? Probably not. But it's also not inconceivable that in the lesser conference that they could be a very good team next year. I expect them to be, and Samuel to be a big part of that.

I don't begrudge him at all taking the money, or saying what he said. Count me among those with no ill will whatsoever.
  10. Sam Malone

Sam Malone Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Asante was a good player for us and everything but he never struck me as being the sharpest knife in the drawer.
  11. GuyClinch

GuyClinch Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lighten up on Asante - any other answer he would have given would cause waves and you don't want to do that with your new team. He just used the stock answers he has learned to use..

I would probably do the same thing. He wanted to a new team and fit in and be well recieved and those are the kinds of things you say..

Pete
  12. tuckeverlasting

tuckeverlasting Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

i would be more curious to hear what hoge has to say about steroids in football and the steelers role in propagating their use in the nfl, the affects on their superbowl wins and the resulting deaths of so many ex steelers from steroids.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.