PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great article on Dante and BB's shareholders vs. stockholders philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Great article by Volin on Dante and OL, football philosophy he and BB share, his great experience with Garoppolo and Brissett etc. with words by BB and coaches, players and ex-players

Patriots offensive line has been revitalized thanks to Dante Scarnecchia - The Boston Globe
_

Quotes:

Bill Belichick always arrives for work before the crack of dawn. But he never has to turn the lights on at Gillette Stadium. That is already taken care of by Dante Scarnecchia, the Patriots’ offensive line coach.
“Six [a.m.] would be late for him. More like 4:30,” Belichick said. “Oh, Dante’s early. He beats everybody here. You have to pretty much stay here to beat him here.”
“It’s a lot of hours, but not my first rodeo. I knew what it was going to be like” says Dante

BB
“He’s like the sixth man — there’s the five linemen and the coach,” Belichick said. “He has a lot to do with their continuity and their performance. They’re all shareholders. I don’t know if there’s one majority stockholder.”

DANTE
“Every line coach in the league aspires for the same thing — continuity and players playing as hard as they can play,” he said. “There’s no magic to any of it.”
-
He has coached football since 1970, and won three Super Bowl rings with the Patriots the last decade, but he called this year’s four-game experiment with Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett “as great an experience as I’ve ever had in coaching.”
“I think Jimmy really showed what he can do,” Scarnecchia said. “And Jacoby, he just earned nothing but huge respect around here given what he did in two games. So for me, personally, as a coach that’s something you want to see every week. I was really lucky to be here for that.”

KOPPEN
“Last year with [DeGuglielmo], you saw a lot more vertical sets, and that pocket was sort of caving in on the outside because those tackles weren’t building width into their sets like they are now,” Koppen said. “You saw the tackles basically going straight back all the time. Now he’s got those tackles understanding when they can go wide in their sets and when they can’t. You can see it in their hands, their body position, where their weight is. You can put on the tape from this year and last year, and the difference is remarkable.”

“Dante, as I’ve said many times, is as good a coach as anybody I’ve ever been around,” Belichick said. “I’d put him up there with Scott O’Brien, Nick Saban, guys like that. He does a great job, and it’s great to have him back.”

I always suspected the two were cut from the same cloth :cool:

KOPPEN
“Last year with [DeGuglielmo], you saw a lot more vertical sets, and that pocket was sort of caving in on the outside because those tackles weren’t building width into their sets like they are now,” Koppen said. “You saw the tackles basically going straight back all the time. Now he’s got those tackles understanding when they can go wide in their sets and when they can’t. You can see it in their hands, their body position, where their weight is. You can put on the tape from this year and last year, and the difference is remarkable.”

Koppen especially is very insightful on the Ex-Pats podcast. Whenever they were talking about communication in general and the OL specifically he was bringing up this great saying..

"5 men - one fist"

Everyone should really check the podcast out and just go through its archives.. amazing insight into the locker room culture and our coaching staff. I don't think you will get anything closer to what it is like to be a fly on the wall than that..

Koppen especially is very insightful on the Ex-Pats podcast. Whenever they were talking about communication in general and the OL specifically he was bringing up this great saying..

"5 men - one fist"

Everyone should really check the podcast out and just go through its archives.. amazing insight into the locker room culture and our coaching staff. I don't think you will get anything closer to what it is like to be a fly on the wall than that..

Further validation Googs was a ****ty coach.

Just look at Cannon. He went from fans wanting him cut to second team pro bowler. WTF.

It's been an amazing example of how a great coach can turn a young man's career around.

Sad but comical that some players have to deal with a flag floundering slob like Fisher. How many careers has that man wrecked? I wonder.

Josh strikes back..

Nice he points out: Unselfish.
Another great (also greatly overlooked) asset of BBs character and legacy. Its not easy but still not impossible in this dog eat dog world to be unselfish and successful (and I don't mean charity stuff and such)..

"5 men - one fist"

Is it free or $$$? (My wife rolling her eyes is always like "You know they are all free now don't you nobody charges for podcasts anymore.")

Googs was handicapped playing without a Left Tackle and a hobbling Right Tackle reserve in Cannon. It was compounded by being forced to break in three interior line rookies too. I wonder what Dante would have accomplished in such circumstances as well.

He blooded the rookie Guards and Center, so they could blossom as sophs into able starters. Solder is infinitely more talented than a one-legged RT trying to play out of position at LOT.

Googs was handicapped playing without a Left Tackle and a hobbling Right Tackle reserve in Cannon. It was compounded by being forced to break in three interior line rookies too. I wonder what Dante would have accomplished in such circumstances as well.

He blooded the rookie Guards and Center, so they could blossom as sophs into able starters. Solder is infinitely more talented than a one-legged RT trying to play out of position at LOT.

On the flipside he inherited a fully functioning offensive line that he just needed to maintain to a SB title in 2014. Once we lost a couple of scar trained veterans (Connolly, Wendell ect.) and he had to bring along young talent he couldn't make it work.

In the end he simply was not a fit which was definitely not completely his fault.

To be fair, most coaches would, by comparison...too bad no common sense seeping into the owner's office, as validation causes infinity to increase every second that the flying elvis is a ****ty logo
th
th
th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back