PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell wants ProBowl played before Super Bowl!! WHAT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea.

The pro bowl is a non-event. You can't ruin what already sucks. They could just eliminate the game altogether and no one would really care.

Exempting superbowl players is easy. Oftentimes they don't play anyway. You just fill their spots with reserves.

No one cares about football after the superbowl. Scheduling the pro bowl instead when football is at it's peak means that the pro bowl would get much more attention. It would also serve as a nice little diversion during two weeks of superbowl build-up.

Goodell might be reactionary, but it doesn't mean all of his ideas are bad.

Roger Goodell was a terrible choice for Commissioner, and nothing he's done has made me think otherwise. Great move with the cheerleaders though, really..... that was of ultimate importance.:rolleyes:

I'll repeat what I posted earlier here. Was there really that much wrong with the NFL that it needed Goodell to come in and make all kinds of changes? People may like or dislike each change and that's fine. I'd like a change in how rookie's get paid myself. But you'd think the NFL was going down the tubes and needed someone to come in and clean up the league the way this guy is going.

I'll repeat what I posted earlier here. Was there really that much wrong with the NFL that it needed Goodell to come in and make all kinds of changes? People may like or dislike each change and that's fine. I'd like a change in how rookie's get paid myself. But you'd think the NFL was going down the tubes and needed someone to come in and clean up the league the way this guy is going.

Thinking like that is why you aren't a CEO (then again, neither am I). Riding a good thing with no eye towards the future is a recipe for eventual decline.

A business should always be looking for ways to improve. Current success just means that you don't need to make desperate changes.

Apple had a successful computer company. Fortunately for them they decided to get into mp3 players.

IBM was the top personal PC maker. They saw a limited future in that and turned their focus to servers and IT solutions before PCs lost all profitability.

Even when you fail (New Coke) you just need to recognize the failure and move on. It doesn't mean trying was an awful idea.

I don't see any of Goodell's ideas ruining the league.

My first reaction was negative but after thinking about it and reading some of the replies I like it, or at least think it is worth a try. I really liked PatChick's suggestion of playing the pro bowl in the host city for the super bowl on the Sunday before. Building on those ideas:

1. You could honor the probowlers from the SB teams in some way without making them fly 6 hours our of their way to get there, which would never happen.

2. You could also do something to honor the SB teams formally at the game, creating even more hype for the big game.

3. The NFL could steal a few pages from the NBA all star game playbook--do even more of the skill competitions--e.g. what is the football equivalent of the slam dunk competition--the sickest QB to receiver sideline/endzone pass where the receiver keeps his two feet in? Something creative could be interesting and fun.

4. And just to steal a page from MLB, how about figuring out a way to make the actual game count for something? Obviously, the site is already determined. How about the conference winner of the game means that team gets to choose whether to receive or kickoff in the superbowl. Otherwise it's just a coin toss anyway.

This is a ******ed idea. You're going to ask players who lose heartbreaking conference championship games to get on a flight to Hawaii and play in the Pro Bowl the week BEFORE the team they lost to plays in the Super Bowl? Sooooooo stupid.

Edit: This thread has convinced me that it's time for the Pro Bowl to go. What a nonevent. There should be some kind of competition with the pro bowl players the weekend before the Super Bowl (minus the players who will be in the game), but it shouldn't be a full game. Maybe a set of competitive drills or something; the NFL could have its version of the strong man competition. I'd watch that.

Last edited:
4. And just to steal a page from MLB, how about figuring out a way to make the actual game count for something? Obviously, the site is already determined. How about the conference winner of the game means that team gets to choose whether to receive or kickoff in the superbowl.

So you want Peyton Manning determining if we get the ball at the half of the Super Bowl or on the opening posession? Sorry, uh-uh. No way jose.

So you want Peyton Manning determining if we get the ball at the half of the Super Bowl or on the opening posession? Sorry, uh-uh. No way jose.

I'd be fine with a HoF QB deciding our fate. I don't like the idea, but when you tell me my side would have a distinct advantage it does make it sound a little better.

I understand your concern and point. But let's try to brainstorm how to make it a little better, pretend you are the NFL and Goodell. Come on, everyone says the pro bowl sucks as it is.

How could you make it more exciting? The idea of making the all star game count for SOMETHING was an improvement IMO for MLB. It would put a little more AFC/NFC conference rivalry spirit into it.

Re: Goodell wnats ProBowl played before Super Bowl!! WHAT!!

Except ZERO PLAYERS from the Super Bowl teams would play in the Pro Bowl. I don't care, but a lot of people would. I don't mind it AT ALL outside of that - however, "that" is a pretty big deal.

I wonder who would coach both sides of the pro bowl also. The two losing teams' coaches in the NFCCG and AFCCG

Someone needs to take this idiot out before he screws anything else up, Goodell sucks.

Do away with the Pro Bowl entirely, football is too violent a sport to have an all star game. Instead just have some kind of skills competition. I might actually tune in to see who has the strongest arm or who is the fastest man in the nfl or who can push the heaviest sled. Just don't have it the week before the SB, it takes away from it.

I like the idea of replacing the risky, sloppy "game" with a skills competition. Why play a game that nobody really wants to play in OR watch? Let it be more of a celebration of the players and let the coaches go home. I'd bet that the players and their agents would go for this in a heartbeat -- not just because it reduces the risk of injury but because it offers a greater opportunity to showcase them as individuals.

I really don't think that holding it a week before the Superbowl would detract from that game. It would just be a fun PR blip in the 2 week hype marathon. And picking up on the earlier "showcase" theme, you'd be dropping all the league's stars into the voracious media scrum of the SB buildup. Lots more face time for the players and a much better lineup of interviewees for the fans.

Thinking like that is why you aren't a CEO (then again, neither am I). Riding a good thing with no eye towards the future is a recipe for eventual decline.

Two simple words why you and Goodell are WAY off base in your thinking...

New Coke

Two simple words why you and Goodell are WAY off base in your thinking...

New Coke

C'mon, try reading the whole post next time. I mentioned New Coke. Coca-Cola is still doing just fine.

They'll even tell you that New Coke was good for the company in the longterm because before that debacle they never realized what they had from a nostalgia standpoint. People adored Coke in an irrational way that they never realized, so they started marketing to it. It was an expensive lesson, but a valuable one nonetheless.

There are very few companies that are like the NFL. There was very little wrong with the NFL and IMO, most of his changes aren't improvements. Frankly there's nothing he can do to make the Pro Bowl better. And playing it when SB players and possibly those that lost the conference champ games not want to be there, likley worse.

No tears for the collge all star game...that went bye bye..Same to the Pro bowl....OK maybe a skills competition...and or some OTHER type of event..that MIGHT be good...at that time..another football game...

A business should always be looking for ways to improve. Current success just means that you don't need to make desperate changes.

Apple had a successful computer company. Fortunately for them they decided to get into mp3 players.

IBM was the top personal PC maker. They saw a limited future in that and turned their focus to servers and IT solutions before PCs lost all profitability.

Even when you fail (New Coke) you just need to recognize the failure and move on. It doesn't mean trying was an awful idea.

It's interesting that you bring up "New Coke" yet fail to heed the true lesson learned there: Sometimes meddling in an attempt to 'improve' is a bad idea. The Pro Bowl is already a joke. Playing it without any players from the two Super Bowl teams would just make it even more of one, and forcing players from those two teams to play it at the risk of injury would threaten to make the Super Bowl itself a joke.

If anything, the lessons learned from New Coke should be "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "if it sucks, get rid of it".

It's interesting that you bring up "New Coke" yet fail to heed the true lesson learned there: Sometimes meddling in an attempt to 'improve' is a bad idea. The Pro Bowl is already a joke. Playing it without any players from the two Super Bowl teams would just make it even more of one, and forcing players from those two teams to play it at the risk of injury would threaten to make the Super Bowl itself a joke.

If anything, the lessons learned from New Coke should be "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "if it sucks, get rid of it".
I agree...see it go bye-bye...if it's not doing what it should. I think IF they forced players from either SB team, to play THAt in itself would warrant that it should be gone!!!

Actually, I already hit on the true lesson. Coke had no idea what they had in their brand and it took a customer revolt to realize it.

You could also say that even a huge mistake can be overcome, with lessons learned.

Even if things go completely wrong and Goodell ruins the pro bowl there is little lost. Cries of Goodell bringing down the NFL over the pro bowl are ridiculous.

Baseball has a much more important all-star game that ended in a tie around five years ago and is doing better now than it was then.

Really like the skills competiton idea. Always enjoy those off season passing competitons. Really used to enjoy the "Superstars" competitons from the 80's. That final obstacle course was pretty cool. I remember watching a few of the top NFL players of that time pretty much vault right over that first wall...and it was like 12 ft high! :eek:

Okay, it's settled....Skills Competiton the week between the Championship Games and the SB. Amazing how a few Pats fans can come up with such a superior idea in a just 24 hours. :rocker:

Anyone have Goodell's number?

Last edited:
Actually, I already hit on the true lesson. Coke had no idea what they had in their brand and it took a customer revolt to realize it.

You could also say that even a huge mistake can be overcome, with lessons learned.

Even if things go completely wrong and Goodell ruins the pro bowl there is little lost. Cries of Goodell bringing down the NFL over the pro bowl are ridiculous.

Baseball has a much more important all-star game that ended in a tie around five years ago and is doing better now than it was then.

While I agree that "Sometimes management is a bunch of idiots" is the "true lesson", that fits Goodell to a tee. Sadly, he hasn't seemed to have learned a damned thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes