PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell wants ProBowl played before Super Bowl!! WHAT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Goodell wnats ProBowl played before Super Bowl!! WHAT!!

SB players would show up as special coaches and be part of the ceremonies but not play.

If that's the case, then how exactly is it a "PRO Bowl" as in having the BEST players of the year playing??

This would allieviate alot of the boredom of the off week

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I am NEVER bored during the two weeks leading up to the SB. Anxious, full of anticipation, excited..absolutely; bored....never. I love all the stories, player profiles, analysis, overdone hype. ESPECIALLY when the Pats are involved. It sort of reminds me of when I was a kid and it was the first week of December...and I thought Christmas was never going to get here!!

Alot of people here are still bitter about Goodell and that seems to be tainting their opinion about a small useless event.

Okay, I'll concede that maybe there is a bit of that. Perhaps if the idea was proposed by someone else, I would not have reacted so emotionally in my original post. Regardless, I still consider it a bad idea for all the reasons mentioned.

Here's a good idea...I think that MLB should be playing the All Star game tonight, while we wait for the World Series to start..(minus anyone from the Rockies or Red Sox of course).

BTW...how do you edit spelling errors in the thread title?? Guess I was a bit emotional when I started it! LOL

Last edited:

Play the Pro Bowl the weekend before the Super Bowl at some overseas location, not necessarily Hawaii anymore. Super Bowl guys (and likely championship guys) don't go. No problems at all with that.

I know the overseas Pro Bowl wasn't part of the plan, but I like that better than overseas regular season games or (please, no) the Super Bowl. Then you get exposure of NFL stars to other parts of the globe, even if the football is miserably bad.

Last edited:
That cannot be true or real.

That is bullcrap.

Nobody is that stupid.

Please tell me I heard this wrong....Chris Mortenson just announced that Goodell is proposing to hold the ProBowl every year before the SuperBowl!!!

Goodell is truly an idiot!!

I think this is a great idea.

Nobody cares about the pro bowl when it is held after the season is already over.

Players on Super Bowl teams would automatically be replaced with substitutes. There would be no choice in the matter.

If that's the case, then how exactly is it a "PRO Bowl" as in having the BEST players of the year playing??

Who cares? No one watches the stupid game anyways.

I think this is a great idea.

Nobody cares about the pro bowl when it is held after the season is already over.

Players on Super Bowl teams would automatically be replaced with substitutes. There would be no choice in the matter.

How/when would the coaches and players be chosen?

Will he next want to do preseason in Tankograd?

You'd have to determine the coaches in some different way than you do now. There's no way a coach has time after playing a Sunday conference championship game to go back with his team, take care of offseason preparations before the team scatters, get to Hawaii (or wherever else), install a n offense/defense, and practice with his new team. Not to mention you'd be scrambling to find fill-ins at the last second because you won't know which positions need to be filled in.

It sounds like a good idea if you put no thought into it, but once you start thinking of the problems, it's no good.

great. and the superbowl teams are going to risk injury to their stars...

Has this been confirmed anywhere? It seems too stupid to be true. Was Mortenson just speculating on something he's heard?

Has this been confirmed anywhere? It seems too stupid to be true. Was Mortenson just speculating on something he's heard?

Heard it on ESPN's MNF pregame show. Basically said that it was one of two main topics on the agenda for a mid season meeting with Goodell and the owners.

Guess what the other topic is......a "reinforcement" of the no filming rule and a "crackdown" on any further "cheating" by teams. I hesitate to believe that Goodell's office used the word cheating since, as far as I know, only the media and other uneducated people, not Roger's office, have used that term to describe a rules violation. (though I may be wrong about that)

Anyway, that's actually the part that caught my ear and made me listen to the ProBowl portion of his report. According to Mortenson, the PB change could occur as soon as Feb 2009.

Last edited:
No coaches or players from the SB would be expected to participate and the venue would be outside the US.

Would the game draw fewer viewers than now?

You can't deny it would increase viewership in the event-- I mean, who watches it now as it is anyway? I sure don't... plus, it might be a neat filler on that off week before the Super Bowl. I don't think it's a horrible idea at all.

How much better is going to be to be when the best team and the the third best team (a.ka. the NFC champion) has no interest in having their players attend?

Maybe they can move it to Montreal next.

You can't deny it would increase viewership in the event-- I mean, who watches it now as it is anyway? I sure don't... plus, it might be a neat filler on that off week before the Super Bowl. I don't think it's a horrible idea at all.

If you think guys playing in the Super Bowl would be willing to play in that game, you're outta your mind.

Do you actually believe the owners would allow that to happen?:rolleyes:

Roger Goodell was a terrible choice for Commissioner, and nothing he's done has made me think otherwise. Great move with the cheerleaders though, really..... that was of ultimate importance.:rolleyes:

Roger Goodell was a terrible choice for Commissioner, and nothing he's done has made me think otherwise. Great move with the cheerleaders though, really..... that was of ultimate importance.:rolleyes:

What happened with the cheerleaders?

Good points all--

Do many players from the SB usuallly attend the Pro Bowl anyway? I only ask because, like I said... I never watch it.

(PS-- I also agree Goodell's a moron... I just don't happen to think this is the worst idea ever.)

Players that win the Super Bowl typically go, but players on the losing end of the Super Bowl will decline to go.

Actually, the more I think about this the smarter it seems

It sounds like a good idea if you put no thought into it, but once you start thinking of the problems, it's no good.

This is perfectly true. However, it's just as true of the idea of playing the Pro Bowl a week after the Superbowl out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I mean, how crappy is that idea? Players from non-playoff teams have more than a month off to get out of shape, not to mention throwing their families' vacation plans out the window. Players who made it all the way to the Superbowl often bow out because they've just played a whopping 19 football games and had to deal with the SB media crush, parades, etc. The coaching staffs grouse because they've already played deep into the playoffs and this sets them further behind in their draft preparation and/or erases much of their tiny offseason break. And because the game is in Hawaii it doesn't attract the average NFL fan or provide a tourism boost to an NFL city. And to top it all off, nobody cares the slightest about the game as it now stands.

Using the off-week before the Superbowl makes a lot more sense, IMO. Turn the host city into a 2-week football carnival. Yes, the players from the 2 SB teams won't be able to play. Consider that an extra perk for making it to the big game. :) They'll still be selected, get all the pomp and ceremony and incentive clauses, and since there are 2 weeks before the SB they'll still have plenty of practice and preparation time.

stupidest idea ever. with more injuries to players in the probowl many players are opting out of playing in fear that they might get hurt. they should just scrap the probowl period and just hand out trophies to players instead.

How/when would the coaches and players be chosen?

Will he next want to do preseason in Tankograd?

Players will be chosen as they are now. Alternates will be chosen at the last minute as they are now (there will just be more alternates since the Superbowl players aren't attending).

It will be hardest on the coaching staff. I think you can still choose them the same way (championship losers) but it would be better to select the staff from one of the divisional round losers, so they have adequate prep time, and the chance to debrief their team after playoff elimination.

stupidest idea ever. with more injuries to players in the probowl many players are opting out of playing in fear that they might get hurt. they should just scrap the probowl period and just hand out trophies to players instead.

I'd be all for that! But if there has to be a game, I'll hold my nose and take the pre-SB idea over the current version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes