PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell says there’s momentum for expanding the playoffs

Goodell is hired and fired by the owners.

He has many responsibilities. He may even serve on the Salvation Army Board of Directors for all I know.

None of his responsibilities make him answerable to anyone but the owners.
=====

When I worked, I had very specific responsibilities to our customers and to the community.
I had many responsibilities to other workers. I had responsibilities regarding safety and non-descrimination in the workplace.

But none of these responsibilities changed the fact that I worked for the top management, the bosses (the owners in Goodell's case).

Ultimately, everyone who works in a business is responsible to act to produce more revenue. In Goodell's case it is part of his direct responsibilities.
=====

The BOTTOM LINE is that Goodell acts to please those who pay his salary. Believing anything different is simply naive. The fact that he has lots of responsibilities to lots of separate groups is irrelevant to the fact that the judges of his success are those who pay his salary. Goodell is not in a union. He is part of management. He serves at the whim and will of higher management. That simply is the way the world works.

If Goodell should act in a way that is displeasing to the majority of owners, he would be subject to discipline and eventually fired. But Goodell is much smarter than that.
======

As an aside, I think that is extremely unlikely that any significant action taken by Goodell wouldn't be pre-approved by the owners. It is extremely unlikely that Kraft wouldn't have pre-approved almost every action. Kraft is rarely in the minority on policy issues.
In your business capacity, you've operated in a vacuum where none of your responsibilities within your role, your established network, business contemporaries, potential business partners or decision making capabilities affected no one but your employer given you're only responsible to your employer? Every single deal/decision you make affects more than your employer. It affects everyone involved in that deal irregardless of who you're paid by. Sure, the final outcome rests with your employer but for Heaven's sake, that is not my argument. My argument has been Goodell is responsible for more than just the owner's interests. He is a large player in the interests of the NFL and its associated partners. That is it.

Setting aside the argument over Goodell's actual role, I'd like to get into the topics he had something to say about.

Cold weather SB - I knew when he did it that there would never be another. It was obvious to me that he temporarily waved that rule to drive up the popularity of the PSLs in the new stadium.

Hope for all teams - I thought I was reading a political speech when I heard him telling us why the NFL is special. The truth is that plenty of teams don't have a chance every year in every pro league.

Workplace environment - How the freak does Goodell claim that the NFL is being preemptive in the Miami harassment case. The NFL is living in the dark ages when it comes to that type of behavior.

Injured players - Great to hear that the Commish supports the idea that injured players need to heal properly before heading back onto the field. Maybe he should tell the coaches.

Gay players - In spite of his claim, the NFL is the league least ready for gay players.

London team - Do we change the name of our league to the IFL?

Marijuana - Sorry Goody, but pot is not really part of the evolution of medicine.

Fantasy - I've never been a fan.

Good grief...We could fertilize an entire football field with all the p***ing going on in this thread.

:bricks:

You've wasted a lot of virtual ink. Of course, Goodell is responsible for more than just the owner's interests.

That does NOT change the fact that Goodell works for the owners, and will do as they wish.

Goodell will not do anything so controversial as to upset the majority of owners. He will not consciously do anything that will harm the owners and their long-term revenues. As Andy points out, this is also the player's long stream revenue since they get half.

My argument has been Goodell is responsible for more than just the owner's interests. He is a large player in the interests of the NFL and its associated partners. That is it.

I cannot begun to understand the abject ridiculousness of the notion that Goodell works for just the owners. That is absurd. I acknowledge he is a representative of the owners given his employment by the 32 owners but Goodell, the Commissioner of the NFL is responsible for more than just revenue and ratings. Those responsibilities extend beyond ownership.

If Goodell works for the owners and the owners explicity moosekill, why did he fine the Redskins and Cowboys for circumnavigating total player payments a few years ago? That seems counterproductive to their interests wouldn't you say?
Of course he works for the owners.
He works for ALL of the owners, and something such as you mention deals with a dispute among the owners.
Who do you think he works for?

In your business capacity, you've operated in a vacuum where none of your responsibilities within your role, your established network, business contemporaries, potential business partners or decision making capabilities affected no one but your employer given you're only responsible to your employer? Every single deal/decision you make affects more than your employer. It affects everyone involved in that deal irregardless of who you're paid by. Sure, the final outcome rests with your employer but for Heaven's sake, that is not my argument. My argument has been Goodell is responsible for more than just the owner's interests. He is a large player in the interests of the NFL and its associated partners. That is it.
Whoever these other entities that you are crytpically referring to are, none pay his paycheck or hire or fire him.
Of course what he does has impact on other people than his employer, but so does the kid working the drive thru at McDonalds.
Is your argument really that you are spending all these words trying to convince people that Goodells decisions impact other entitities than his employer? Everyone knows and accepts that.
The difference is he is ACCOUNTABLE to his employer, not those other entities.
His job is to keep those other entities happy TO THE EXTENT that it is beneficial to his employers.

It was in complete disarray under Tagliabue. Franchises moving all over the country on a whim for starters.

So, is it your position that Tagliabue was not a contributor to the obvious growth in popularity and revenue that the NFL experienced during his tenure but that Goodell is?

As for teams moving all over the country on a whim, the team movement was confined to 1995-1997. As distasteful as it was, the long the term effects have been positive for the league. The teams that moved did so under better financial terms and have been successful in the new markets they established. The league was able to backfill the vacated locations (with notable exception of Los Angeles) again under far better financial arrangements. The result has been – your metric here – growth in revenue and popularity

With respect to your list of Goodell’s accomplishments –

The 1st round of the draft moving to prime time

Noting this as a major accomplishment makes my point that there haven’t been many. By the way, does Tagliabue get any credit for the original idea to televise the draft beginning in 1980?

Thursday night game weekly

Ditto (further comment in next item below).

Increased emphasis on player safety

What choice did the league have? I’m not going to be critical of the commissioner here because this issue is at its infancy. It looms as the largest single threat to the NFL in its history and how Goodell leads on this will establish his legacy. However, one can understand if the players are skeptical when Goodell also is leading the charge on Thursday night games, advocacy of the 18 game season and expansion of the playoffs including games on Monday and Friday, initiatives that all have negative implications for player safety.

Successful resolution of a lawsuit which could have completely destroyed the league as we know it

The lawsuit is far from resolved (Settlement details in NFL concussion lawsuit may concern players - ESPN). It is only binding on those who are a party to it and does nothing to prevent future litigation. Not Goodell’s fault, but this is the beginning rather than the end of this issue. A proclamation of victory is premature to say the least. Lawsuits related to player safety will only become more frequent over time.

Increased emphasis on punishing player misconduct off the field

Many players see the process as haphazard and arbitrary. Like it or not, there is a trust issue here and many players simply do not trust Goodell. I think he overshot the mark trying to establish himself as the tough new guy. I hope that with experience he will be able to smooth out the bumps in the road because this is important.

New CBA without a single regular season game missed

My recollection is that was not Roger who got the deal done. Rather, the agreement was brokered by moderate owners (Kraft and Mara) who were able to bridge the demands of the hard liner owners and the players. Not Roger’s fault (the owners who correctly perceived that they had enough leverage to win significant concessions from the union held out until the last minute), but I don’t give him much credit either.

Increased international exposure

Annual games in London? Again, not a huge accomplishment. He is doing the owners’ bidding here (nothing wrong with that) who are looking everywhere they can for avenues of growth.

New record breaking contracts with the networks

The next in a string of many, but unquestionably good for the game

In addition, I'd be remiss in not mentioning the labor dispute with the officials in 2012, a complete fiasco from start to finish and black mark for the NFL under Goodell's stewardship.

Goodell is likely less than halfway through his tenure. I think his performance to date is a mixed bag at best. He faces monumental challenges and time will tell whether he will be able to rise to the occasion.

Lastly -

I guess you don't follow football, so apparently I have to spell it out.

Not sure why gratuitous shots like this are necessary. I think it’s great if you want to argue Goodell’s case. It makes for a good discussion. Unfortunately, this comes across as antagonistic and condescending, reducing my interest in listening to your opinion. That’s too bad.

:confused:

Someone actually listed

Increased emphasis on punishing player misconduct off the field

as a Goodell accomplishment?

:confused:

Someone actually listed

as a Goodell accomplishment?
That is a valid opinion. Some people feel punishment for off field incidents should be ignored, others feel it should be punished harshly, most are somewhere in between.
None of those opinions are any better than anyone elses.

I cannot begun to understand the abject ridiculousness of the notion that Goodell works for just the owners. That is absurd. I acknowledge he is a representative of the owners given his employment by the 32 owners but Goodell, the Commissioner of the NFL is responsible for more than just revenue and ratings. Those responsibilities extend beyond ownership.
And what exactly should he be doing that he is not doing? (please don't give me the lame "Players are upset when they get fined" response)

The league certainly has problems they need to address. Officiating, head injuries, the decreasing interest in actually attending the games. However, there can be no doubt that the NFL is the most well run league in American sports. To refuse to give any credit to the commissioner for that is idiotic.

Cold weather SB - I knew when he did it that there would never be another. It was obvious to me that he temporarily waved that rule to drive up the popularity of the PSLs in the new stadium.
How does that drive up the popularity of PSL's in the new stadium? PSL owners aren't getting tickets to the Super Bowl (or, I should say, the option to buy tickets to the Super Bowl). Heck, each seat has 2 separate PSL owners: one for the Giants and one for the Jets.
Hope for all teams - I thought I was reading a political speech when I heard him telling us why the NFL is special. The truth is that plenty of teams don't have a chance every year in every pro league.
In the NFL, it is a level playing field. Every single team has a chance to win a championship if they put smart people in charge, run the team well, hire the right coaches, etc. Unlike baseball, no team is at an obscene disadvantage year in and year out based on the fact that they generate less revenue than other teams.

So, is it your position that Tagliabue was not a contributor to the obvious growth in popularity and revenue that the NFL experienced during his tenure but that Goodell is?
Tagliabue was a mediocre-at-best commissioner. There's a reason why, almost a decade later, he still needs a ticket to get into the Hall of Fame like all the rest of us. And that silence you hear is all the people not clamoring to change that anytime soon.

Tagliabue was a mediocre-at-best commissioner. There's a reason why, almost a decade later, he still needs a ticket to get into the Hall of Fame like all the rest of us. And that silence you hear is all the people not clamoring to change that anytime soon.

No argument on my part regarding Tagliabue. Unless something changes, Goodell is headed down the same mediocre path.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back