PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: ‘Understanding’ is Wells has 'finished interview portion'’ of Deflategate report

Guys everyone keeps mentioning that the league has no proof to punish the Pats for Deflategate, but why in the world would that matter??? The league had proof and end result of the Jets tampering with Revis (public statement by Woody and Revis signing with Jets) and did nothing of any consequence to the Jets despite a clear precedence of punishment for tampering in the form of lost draft picks. So why in the world would lack of proof prevent the league from seriously punishing the Pats for Deflategate with no precedence established...I am not even being sarcastic at this point...the allegations alone are more than sufficient "proof" for today's NFL. Someone saw smoke, so there must be a fire argument seems more than enough.

Hell yes, I find his comment troubling. Let's just hope that this wasn't Goodell throwing in a very obvious hint that the attention is still very much focused on the Patriots, which is exactly what it sounds like he's doing.

For me it's tough to know, he talks out of both sides of his mouth. In the next answer, he says there was "no suspicion of anything" - which is an absurd statement. It might be that the investigation began with the assumption they could look at other games and find wrongdoing, maybe that's no longer a focus of the investigation. Who knows?

As others have mentioned recently, the wildcard here is Pash, who is obviously not going to want to paint the league in a bad light. Goodell wants to make it sound like Wells is off on his own, but the initial statement noted it was Pash & Wells running it together.

Felger/Mazz is doing 11.3, compared to WEEI's 7.0. It's all shtick, and it's probably not going to change anytime soon, because Boston radio fans are fools enough to keep listening to it when the vastly superior Dale & Holley show is available.

We need a "Sadly agree" rating option. For those moments when you agree with the post, but wish it wasn't true.

Felger/Mazz is doing 11.3, compared to WEEI's 7.0. It's all shtick, and it's probably not going to change anytime soon, because Boston radio fans are fools enough to keep listening to it when the vastly superior Dale & Holley show is available.

I think that's mostly due to the fact the Felger/Mazz show is televised....it gives them a larger platform and attracts more viewers/listeners

This is still going on? Long lunch break

For what it's worth, Volin believes the report is being held until after the draft and he believes that there is some damning information in there but not necessarily against the Patriots.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/04/...-holding-deflategate-report-until-after-draft

I can agree with his sentiments. Especially in light of Belichick's refusal to hold back during his initial deflategate press conference (which was a new thing for him). I think the NFL is afraid he might do so again when all the NFL's (and Colts') bad acts surface in the report.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told PBS’ Charlie Rose on Monday that he anticipates the Deflategate investigation will be over “soon,” and added that it’s his understanding that investigator Ted Wells has “finished the interview portion” of his probe.

addtext_com_MTAxODI1NjkyNzU.jpg

I think the fundamental thing about all of this is to look at is Bill's modus operandi.

Bill justified taping from the sidelines by the literal interpretation of an NFL rule and that turned into Spygate. (and IMO there was no reason to think he was wrong in his interpretation). The point is he does everything for a reason and it's justifiable by a sound explanation.

With that said...there isn't anything in the rulebook to justify intentionally deflating footballs. Even by a huge stretch of the rules. That's cheating. So to me that is reason to think such an action did not happen. Bill looks for an edge but he does not blatantly cheat. That is not his M.O. Everything he does has a rhyme and reason. That is why I'm confident the team did not do what they are accused of doing.

Now the rules around what the footballs PSI must be at what time before kickoff are vague and open for another spygate-style interpretation. If Bill sees the rules and interprets them as the ability to set them to 12.5 and then prep them after and as a result they end up slightly under at kickoff - to me that's not out of the question. And if they did this, I'm sure we'll also find out they are not the only ones who have. Then again, this could also give the league room to issue a small fine.

If the league exposes this, it will be interesting to see if they take action and change the rule because if they do they are actually doing something to hinder offense and that has not been the league's M.O. for many years.

Last edited:
@VectorPrime - Now that the draft is imminent, we're going to have stuff to talk about over the next few days on the main board.

I can't wait for the day I come to Patsfans and the lead thread says "Breaking: Wells report released...." and we can put this all to bed. I am kind of OCD and can talk a subject to death, but I think even I have reached my breaking point.

I thought I figured I would listen to Felger and Mazz for some laughs on their spin and they didn't disappoint. Here are a few highlights:
  • They are convinced that the fact that there was no real punishment for the Jets is a back door deal for Goodell not to punish the Pats in Deflategate. "Bob, we not going to give you any compensation for tampering with Revis, but don't worry I got your back on Deflategate".
  • Felger is convinced the League has tons of circumstantial evidence that proves the Pats tampered with the balls, but is convinced the League won't do anything to punish them even though he can under his power. In other words, after months of him saying there is no doubt that the Pats tampered with the balls, he can claim he is right when the Wells report says they found no evidence of them tampering with the balls.
  • Felger is convinced the League knows the Pats have been tampering with the balls for years and have waited for this moment to get them.
  • Felger feels that since Goodell appeared on CBS this morning that it is proof that Goodell has Kraft's back because Kraft set up the interview with CBS through his partnership with CBS.

I lost you at "I figured I'd listen to Felger and Mazz"

Wow. I wonder if Felger realizes how stupid he is and its a shtick or if he really is that stupid.

His entire clown show is an act. He purposely says controversial things to get people going and outraged, because the people that like him tune in, and the people that hate him tune in to hear the next thing he'll say to piss them off

Then when people are pissed, they're mentioning his name in their angry rants and it generates even more publicity for him

He knows he's full of ****, but he laughs all the way to the bank

Last edited:
His entire clown show is an act. He purposes says controversial things to get people going and outraged, because the people that like him tune in, and the people that hate him tune in to hear the next thing he will say to piss them off

Then when people are pissed, they're mentioning his name in their angry rants and it generates even more publicity for him

He knows he's full of ****, but he laughs all the way to the bank
You hit the nail on the head. As soon as the tide started to turn for the Patriots in deflategate he immediately set up his out with " we'll see if Goodell has the cahones to impose a penalty on his Buddy Kraft", of course the fact that the Pats got the biggest penalty for cameraplacementgate doesn't enter the conversation.
Last week he said someone associated with an AFC team told him that all teams let the air out of the ball but the Pats got caught, we can now thank the Pats for another rule or procedure change. Don't understand his logic, if all the teams did it then should'nt everyone be pissed at the Colts for making a big deal out of it? Course I think what he said is all bull anyway.

Hi sb,

Please don't take my style too seriously.
I'm an old-school engineer.
We tend to confuse "abrupt & confrontational" for "charming & refreshingly honest".

I think the fundamental thing about all of this is to look at is Bill's modus operandi.
The point is he does everything for a reason and it's justifiable by a sound explanation.

Excellent comment. People have patterns of behavior that they follow.
Everything that I've seen about BB conveys "respect for the game" & integrity.
And damn clever & innovative.

With that said...there isn't anything in the rulebook to justify intentionally deflating footballs.

Wrong, by virtue of understatement.

That's cheating.

THERE ya go. That's better.
"Intentionally deflating footballs" is explicitly illegal. It is illegal to do anything to the footballs after the referees have finished their pre-game inspection.

This is exactly why the act of re-inflating the Pats' balls at halftime was also explicitly against the rules.

The end result of that action was that the Pats played with illegally OVER-inflated balls during the second half.

The fact that the refs decided to adjust those balls' pressure PROVES that they didn't know how pressure & temperature interact inside a football. The reactions by the Colts, the league, NFL players, the media & lots of fans prove that they also had no clue how pressure & temperature interact within a football.

That is exactly what all this is about: systemic ignorance of this simple interaction.

So to me that is reason to think such an action did not happen. Bill looks for an edge but he does not blatantly cheat. ... That is why I'm confident the team did not do what they are accused of doing.

There is a much better reason to be confident: physics.
It explains exactly what happened.
People can be fickle. They can change. They can disappoint you.

The laws of physics are as reliable as can be.

Now the rules around what the footballs PSI must be at what time before kickoff are vague and open for another spygate-style interpretation.

No, actually they are not vague at all.
They are simply incompetent.

You see, the inflation state of any football depends on TWO factors: the pressure & the temperature of the air inside the ball. Unless you know BOTH, then you know nothing about the ball's inflation state.

One ball, whose pressure reads 12.5 psi & whose internal air temp is 75°F is at a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT inflation state than another ball whose pressure reads 12.5 psi & whose internal air temp is 50°F.

This is exactly the problem with the NFL's ball pressure rules. They do not consider, they do not measure, the temp of the air inside the balls.

If Bill sees the rules and interprets them as the ability to set them to 12.5 and then prep them after and as a result they end up slightly under at kickoff - to me that's not out of the question. And if they did this, I'm sure we'll also find out they are not the only ones who have.

Except this did not, and could not, have happened.

Any "buffing" of the balls MUST have happened LONG before the referees ever got to them.
In fact, the buffing happens before Brady even picks the balls he wants to use.
After Brady chooses the balls, nobody is going to start messing with them. Nobody is going to change them from the condition in which Brady picked them.

And any internal air temp increase that results from the friction of buffing the balls (why did writing that phrase cause me to giggle?) is going to be absolutely minimal & dissipate within an hour or so.

Then again, this could also give the league room to issue a small fine.

The ONLY way that the league levies any fine (big or small) on the Pats is in the glaring light of ignoring the laws of physics.

They will NOT get away with taking this path.
They will be forever labeled as clueless morons, if they try.

If the league exposes this, it will be interesting to see if they take action and change the rule because if they do they are actually doing something to hinder offense and that has not been the league's M.O. for many years.

If they want to really fix the problem, then the answer is simple: measure the temp of the air inside the balls & inflate to the proper pressure that produces a "legal" inflation state.

To quote Sigourney Weaver in Aliens, "... it's the only way to be sure."

Let me just add this. In a country where 40 percent of the public believes that dinosaurs coexisted with cavemen, do you really think that scientific facts make any difference with Goodell, most of the owners and the public in general. All they know is that the balls were below pressure levels when examined. How it happened by science, magic or invisible aliens with needles is irrelevant.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back