PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good luck the rest of the way... (plus thoughts on Ravens from a Pitt fan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how Solder is doing this year health-wise (?), and obviously he'd get a tough assignment with Suggs, but IMO Dumervil is the bigger problem on the other side. Small frame, gets underneath taller RTs, very explosive. (But then again I think Vollmer has been great this year so maybe that's strength-on-strength).

The bigger question is your interior linemen. It's not just how 'good' they are, but their makeup and how they do in matchups against really physical DTs. For example, Pouncey and DeCastro are great, definitely high-end interior offensive linemen...but they're more 'athletic' than 'road grader', and they can get mauled by the Haloti Ngatas and Brandon Williams of the world.

I don't know much about Stork or Wendell (although it seems that Connolly has had a very good year just based on posts on this board?)...but to me *that* is where the LOS battle will be won or lost. Baltimore has some monster DTs -- they're three deep there if Jernigan plays -- and I don't care how good the QB, pressure up the middle is hugely disruptive to just about anyone.
How did the chargers beat them in baltimore. They have an even worse offensive line than we do.

The Ravens have won just 2 games this season against teams with winning record, both against the Steelers. the Pats won 7.....so far. Like most bullies, the Ravens like to beat up on the "little kids" and that's where they accumulated most of their best stats. No doubt I'm sure they will coming into Foxboro full of that obnoxious swagger, but the Pats AREN'T the "little kids", Lloyd, and when the they get punched back, they aren't going to like it.

Thanks Ken….Reading your post got me jacked up!!! I was getting nervous reading about the Ravens front 7….Then I read your words and I was reminded…

We're the PATRIOTS!!! We know what Championship teams look like we we know the kind of team that will be welcoming the Ravens to Gillette Stadium on Saturday.

What better team to unleash our might than the Ravens! This game is the perfect opportunity for our defense to make a DOMINANT statement. LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!

WE WILL PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!!

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

What was your season prediction? Equally gloomy and pessimistic? 10-6 perhaps?

If you want the sunshine and rainbows narrative, i can refer you to some other posters. They are not hard to find. Im sure you will find their analysis reassuring.

I think the game will get decided by a fieldgoal. Balitmore is a team that knows how to play up to their opponent plus Bal Vs NE games have been traditionally very tight.

NE had an extra week but i still think it can go either way in these tight games.

I think the game will get decided by a fieldgoal. Balitmore is a team that knows how to play up to their opponent plus Bal Vs NE games have been traditionally very tight.

NE had an extra week but i still think it can go either way in these tight games.

Man I sure hope it ain't a field goal. This post season comes down to the pats oline. They block like they did against top competition, we can beat anyone imo. If they can't get running lanes or can't keep Brady up, we will suffer another depressing playoff loss.

We would have won if Talib remained upright!!! Grrr

Any thoughts on the Ravens' running game, lillloyd?

Understanding that you didn't ask me, MTB, it should be noted that Justin Forsett had the highest yards per carry average in the entire NFL this year--even higher than DeMarco Murray.

The Ravens definitely have the capacity to run the ball effectively, and Bernard Pierce is a fairly decent FB to compliment Forsett at times. He's the one who scored their early TD on Saturday night.

I expect that we'll be fairly efficient vs. the run against BAL, but they are definitely capable enough that they could get things rolling if we let them.

Last edited:
. If they can't get running lanes or can't keep Brady up, we will suffer another depressing playoff loss.

I think the Pats are strong enough on defense and STs that that "or" should instead be an "and".

If you want the sunshine and rainbows narrative, i can refer you to some other posters. They are not hard to find. Im sure you will find their analysis reassuring.

Condescension with your gloominess? Nice.

Lillloyd, by the power vested in me (none whatsoever) I declare you Visiting Fan of the Season.

Thanks for your thoughts and thanks for the clear and patient way that you have expressed them. Please come again soon -- and often!

That was a great post...thanks OP...and IMHO the Steelers will be relevant for some time yet and would have given the Broncos a very good run for their money...the injury bug just sucks...we know all about that around here...

Condescension with your gloominess? Nice.

Why are you trolling me? Run along little boy, youve got some Homer90210 and Andy Jackson posts to read.

Why are you trolling me? Run along little boy, youve got some Homer90210 and Andy Jackson posts to read.

Little boy? Hah! You're the child who can't make a point without the predictable resort to ad hominems. Why are you refusing to answer the original question - what was your season prediction?

Not going to lie, this matchup has me really worried. I don't have a lot of faith in our OL to hold up on Saturday. They've been trending in the wrong direction for around a month now, and we're going to have to hope that three weeks of rest have Connolly, Solder, and Vollmer all as close to healthy as a football player can be in January.

On defense, I feel a bit better, although Torrey Smith scares me. I see Revis matching up really well on Steve Smith, and I wouldn't be surprised if Daniels is treated as a big WR and gets Browner. I assume that Smith will have McCourty over the top on him at pretty much all times, but I wonder who the CB on him will be. Arrington?

That said, as much as I'm expecting a slugfest on par with the AFCCG three years ago, there's a small part of me that still thinks the Ravens are just waiting to get shredded in pass defense. I thought the Steelers would do it, but it might be that losing Bell just made them much, much worse than the team that we saw for 16 games this year. The man did have 83 receptions this year, and was a beast in pass protection. He very well might be the third most important player in Pittsburgh's passing game, after Big Ben and AB. Also, Kelvin Beachum is not someone who's well equipped to handle the Ravens' pass rushers. I like him, but he is the smallest LT in the NFL, and his lack of height and arm length makes him susceptible to... well, exactly what we saw on Saturday. As much as I'm not a Solder fan, his length will make it much harder for the edge rush to just beat him in space and set him up for counter moves.

Bottom line, I guess nothing would really surprise me in this game. I think it'll be close, but I could see anything from us losing handily to destroying them by 30 as plausible outcomes.

Last edited:
Let me pile on in this Patsfan "My **** Is Shrinking!" fest
I'm not worried about the Ravins as our likely Seahags SB opponent should we get that far has that tough D plus that bugaboo of a mobile smart non-choking QB. The hold your position "Stare at Rogers" mobile QB defense needs to be revised.
Ravens are an excellent prep for the SB should we merit a return as I believe we will earn.

I scraped a ratbird fan from my shoe today. It was slimy and smelled real bad. I flushed it down the toilet. When the Pats flush them this Sat, I think it should take the stink out. I don't like the Rat players or fan base. Ewww

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back