PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This season has been very hard to gauge, the combination of injuries and unsteady play is different than past seasons.

Using last year as an example; the team had a steady improvement throughout the season and was playing very good football going into the playoffs. This year the offense has had no continuity (obviously impacted by injuries) and the defense (although improved) has not been able to close things out. Other small items that in the past have been rocked solid such as short yardage conversions have been terrible and special teams very sloppy.

I just don't know how to read this team. They are good enough to get on a roll and handle anyone or could come up flat and get bounced. Wrapping up home field will make me feel better, most other AFC teams are frauds and haven't proven they can win on the road.

What are others thoughts?

There's this talk going around that we will have everyone back and healthy for the playoffs. I'm starting to fell a little pessimistic about that and even if that happens, the team will probably struggle for playing without sync for so many weeks, with different formations. Anyway I think we can beat anyone in the AFC and even the Panthers in the SB, Belichick will keep Newton in the pocket and take away his weapons.

The team I think we have less chances to win is the Arizona Cardinals, they are good in every phase of the game and they abused Aaron Rodgers badly last sunday. Also I think Palmer and all those guys, Floyd, Fitz, Brown, I think they would tear our secondary apart. Only a choke job to give us a chance, I think right now we have 20% of chances to beat the Cardinals in a possible SB matchup. Chances may improve a little bit but I think they are too good and building confidence.

There's this talk going around that we will have everyone back and healthy for the playoffs. I'm starting to fell a little pessimistic about that and even if that happens, the team will probably struggle for playing without sync for so many weeks, with different formations. Anyway I think we can beat anyone in the AFC and even the Panthers in the SB, Belichick will keep Newton in the pocket and take away his weapons.

The team I think we have less chances to win is the Arizona Cardinals, they are good in every phase of the game and they abused Aaron Rodgers badly last sunday. Also I think Palmer and all those guys, Floyd, Fitz, Brown, I think they would tear our secondary apart. Only a choke job to give us a chance, I think right now we have 20% of chances to beat the Cardinals in a possible SB matchup. Chances may improve a little bit but I think they are too good and building confidence.

AZ scares the hell out of me. I think they are playing the best right now.

With that said its still Carson Palmer at QB.

This team has always been built around Brady's quick release and short/medium range receivers.

With all the injuries the timing routes are off, the Oline is decimated and most of the offense is in the hands of people who would be watching from the stands if fate wasn't such a fickle *****!

I would hope that IF everyone can return and get in a playoff state of mind, we should be OK.

My biggest worry is the huge difference in practice shape vs game shape when the injured return. In a win or die situation, taking a game to readjust to the games speed may be the teams undoing.

The Pats are 3-2 since Thanksgiving.... that speaks VOLUMES about where this team is at right now

Using last year as an example; the team had a steady improvement throughout the season and was playing very good football going into the playoffs.

Incorrect. They had more wins but they were not exactly playing good football.

Somewhat dominated by GB (Yards: 480 for GB/320 for NE - TOP: GB: 36:35/NE: 23:25)
Struggled against SD
1 good quarter against the lolphins
Struggled against a 3-11 jests team
Throwaway game against the jills

Playing good football at the end of the season and winning the SB has really no correlation. Yes some teams have played good football going into the playoffs and won the SB but in the last decade 7 teams that weren't exactly playing good football at the end of the season won the SB.

Already gave the example of the Pats last year

2012 ****birds were 1-4 in their last 5 games
2011 NYG were 3-5 in their last 8 games
2010 GB was 3-3 in their last 6 games
2009 NO lost their 3 last games (although the final game was a throwaway)
2007 NYG were 4-4 in their last 8 games
2006 dolts were 3-4 in their last 7 games

Last edited:
Really hard to gauge this team in its current condition. Also, hard to tell if it's going to improve by adding some pieces. Interesting, unpatriot like finish to the year.

I feel like its going to be hard for this Patriots team to win 3 in a row against playoff teams.

Playing good football at the end of the season and winning the SB has really no correlation. Yes some teams have played good football going into the playoffs and won the SB but in the last decade 7 teams that weren't exactly playing good football at the end of the season won the SB.

Already gave the example of the Pats last year

2012 Baltimore was 1-4 in their last 5 games
2011 NYG were 3-5 in their last 8 games
2010 GB was 3-3 in their last 6 games
2009 NO lost their 3 last games (although the final game was a throwaway)
2007 NYG were 4-4 in their last 8 games
2006 dolts were 3-4 in their last 7 games

Interesting points! But we all know that the Pats are noted for their success in December, and for them to own a 3-2 record since Thanksgiving, is somewhat uncharacteristic. For instance, since 2003, the Patriots are 49-9 in games played in December. And since 2001, the Patriots are 54-10 in December. That's a HUGE winning percentage.

By those standards, this team is under-performing

Last edited:
Interesting, unpatriot like finish to the year.

Didn't watch last year? That Pats team was so much healthier than this one and they weren't exactly rolling through teams in the last month.

When you are limping to the finish line in the prelims, difficult to gauge how you will do in the tournament.

IMO it is all contingent on our O line, how many offensive weapons we have and the condition of the D backfield.. McCourty and Chung not playing was huge last weekend.

As wonderful as records and trends are this is a unique situation, even last week to have tied that game considering the personnel they have available was remarkable

I feel like its going to be hard for this Patriots team to win 3 in a row against playoff teams.

The team we fielded this past Sunday would have zero shot at repeating. The team we fielded this past Sunday plus Edelman, Amendola, McCourty, Vollmer, and Chung can beat anyone in the AFC.

I think the hard thing about this year is we haven't seen one great game in all phases all season. I guess you could argue Jacksonville, but that was 13 weeks ago, and it wasn't flawless by any means.

The other one would be the Houston game, but we still had a muffed punt.

It would be nice to have one or two games to look back on for experience. We have seemingly won a number of different ways and lost in a few different ways. With the team returning shortly, I just don't know what that will mean once the real games begin.

Until all the guys are back are back, they aren't back.

When they are, we will see what we will see.

Go back and rewatch the KC game last year, then watch the Cincinnati game...I mean, we all know what happened, but reflect on it. Things can turn around on a dime, and there are very obvious reasons why the Pats are playing how they're playing right now.

Keep the faith. Any good movie has the sad part before the triumphant finale.

I have a similar view. I feel like the past five weeks or so, a lot of people have been shrugging off our struggles using our injuries as an excuse to why we aren't playing well, and we have time to fix the issues for the playoffs. Although the injuries definitely make it harder to play well, we are heading into the last game of the regular season and we still have a lot of guys hurt. I'm not sure if we can simply get a bunch of guys back and start playing at a high level. Even if we get everyone back, they won't be at 100%, but hopefully we can avoid any major injuries in the playoffs and we will only get better with time.

Key points for me:

- Edelman back and effective
- Offensive line needs to get some cohesion and at least pass protect well
- Laffell take his head out of his arse and be that guy he was last year
- Offensive line generate sacks and pressure

Ok, run defense has not been ok, special teams ****ed up some games, but most of our problems are on the offense, no chemistry, no depth, no running game, patchwork offensive line, injuries, lack of an authentic outside receiver, especially this last item.

The lack of investment in the WR position with high draft picks is something that have been hurting this team a lot in recent playoffs. Last year was an exception, we had all the pieces in place, all playing lights out, Gronk, Laffell, Dola, Edelman, Vereen, Brady was phenomenal and the O-line was rock solid. I don't see that this year, I think defenses will do what the Broncos and Ravens did in 2012 and 2013. Clog up the middle of the field and pressure. Ok Gronk makes a huge difference but he will get double coverage. I'm ok with the Easley pick, Garopollo, Brown, I'm NOT OK with the Jordan Richards pick. God damn it, it was very clear last year that Dobson was a long shot to be the guy we all thought he would develop, why not take another chance in a WR in this past draft that had a lot of quality prospects? Not even a 3rd rounder.

A one and done's not out of the question with this team. I hope not. Hope we get to the afc championship game. I would love to see edelman play this sunday if he csn give it a go. I just don't know though.

Key points for me:

- Edelman back and effective
- Offensive line needs to get some cohesion and at least pass protect well
- Laffell take his head out of his arse and be that guy he was last year
- Offensive line generate sacks and pressure

Ok, run defense has not been ok, special teams ****ed up some games, but most of our problems are on the offense, no chemistry, no depth, no running game, patchwork offensive line, injuries, lack of an authentic outside receiver, especially this last item.

The lack of investment in the WR position with high draft picks is something that have been hurting this team a lot in recent playoffs. Last year was an exception, we had all the pieces in place, all playing lights out, Gronk, Laffell, Dola, Edelman, Vereen, Brady was phenomenal and the O-line was rock solid. I don't see that this year, I think defenses will do what the Broncos and Ravens did in 2012 and 2013. Clog up the middle of the field and pressure. Ok Gronk makes a huge difference but he will get double coverage. I'm ok with the Easley pick, Garopollo, Brown, I'm NOT OK with the Jordan Richards pick. God damn it, it was very clear last year that Dobson was a long shot to be the guy we all thought he would develop, why not take another chance in a WR in this past draft that had a lot of quality prospects? Not even a 3rd rounder.

I been saying that lafell's a key guy in this
offense. Idk if he has been healthy all year

Injuries are a reality and they affect virtually every team. You cannot subtract McCourty, Chung, Jules, DA, Solder, Vollmer, Lewis from a team and expect them to play at there most capable. Fortunately it appears McCourty, Chung, Jules, DA, Vollmer will be back for the playoffs which will move the Patriots back toward their most capable.

What we are right now is not what we will be 19 days from now. The Patriots will have much more potentcy capability on both side of the ball in 19 days. Whether that raised potency capability and their ability to execute/not make bad errors is enough to defeat the next two opponents? That's why the games are played.
I continue to like our chances an awful lot but a bit dampened from a month ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes