PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Getting your woman to understand/enjoy the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still trying to get my wife to understand/enjoy me!

J/K.

My wife just doesn't have the interest to learn enough about football to like it. She sorta likes basketball and has enjoyed going to Fenway. She does care about the Pats because she knows I get upset if they lose, and she never gives me a hard time for being into them obsessively or flying 8,000 miles to see a game. That's good enough for me.

uh...my distaste for the dreaded "let's go clothes shopping!" request is only exceeded by the slightly more ghastly "let's go shoe shopping!!" option...5 pairs of too tight jeans that don't fit coupled with ten pairs of assorted footwear in all shapes and colors that will ultimately end up, tags still attached , in the closet is enough for me to schedule a series of root canals as an escape...:scream:

Yes, yes, I understand what you're talking about. (And I did mention that I go to most of the games with my buddy.) I just figured it would help our relationship to get my gal at least semi-interested since I'm a season ticket holder and watch so many other games during the season. We don't live together (yet), so if our together time is going to involve football, I'd rather have her with me than against me, if you know what I mean. So far, she's into exploring what it's all about.

1st bold: Ahhhh, gotcha. Not living together, you're still (relatively) new to the relationship in the way that you still enjoy every second you get to spend with her because you don't spend EVERY seceond with her, so you're willing to sacrafice man-time to spend more time with her! Hoozah to you!
2nd bold: (the 07 SB was a bad time in my household, I know EXACTLY what you mean)
However, just be aware of the future consequences of such actions.
If you get her used to going to games/watching games with you, once you finally DO move in/get married, your #1 excuse to escape and see your buddies once a week is now down the toilet.
Now I will say this, having a wife enjoying the same "manly" thing as you can in fact be a plus as well. I got my wife to enjoy watching MMA with me and while she isn't an aficionado, I enjoy watching the fights with her more than my guy friends as I just love watching her smile as people get their faces smashed :)
This could be the same with you and your girlfriend with football! Who knows, but like I said, just have a back up excuse for guy time in the future. I suggest joining a poker league or something of that sort.
Summary: if she's remotely interested in football, but doesn't "have a team" I fully encourage you to make her a Pats fan, but if she has little to no interest in football I think you are shooting your future self in the foot! :)
Either way, I hope you both enjoy your time at games and your future together!

Brady got the wife 'more interested' in the Patriots. She used to like them and all that. But when Brady came on board and they started winning, she watched. She is more into the post season i think whereby I watch the NFLN 24-7, so she is not quite at my obsession level.

But she loves my team, and who can blame her...

what I'd recommend is that you just make a deal with her. Tell her that you will be totally cool with her sleeping with any of the Patriot player if the opportunity ever arises.

This will serve as impetus for her to get into the bios and learn faces and body weights, etc. Since its hard to see faces of the player's in action, she'll begin to learn numbers during the play and then quickly reference it to the bios she has learned.

Once you know numbers, you understand positions (for the most part). Most casual male fans vaguely understand numbers (QBs are low or maybe in the teens, TEs in the 80s, etc) but not as good as your GF will.

That is a great platform to nurture the learning process.

Much of this thread stands as condescending bull tainted not so lightly with that - "oh, if I get her a pink hat and don't scream too loud my woman will probably only get up and leave the TV room for half the game!!! Including all the big plays she'd realize were huge if she'd only sit down and do what I do!!!!!" - mentality that sinks so many couples right off the bat.

Missing is -
Hmm, a woman can decide on her own if she likes this game. What?

My woman is actually interested (quietly) in trying to share my passions... Really?

The inevitable (and among so many: secretly hopeful) result of the employment of this too typical behavoir is a turn off by your "woman." Some people like football and some don't. But some are willing, and even eager, to share it with someone they love. But no one likes feeling they are being tested for acceptability while at the same time they are supposed to be feeling the local joy of Moss going 72yds for a perfect score.

Imagine, gents, the look of such a thread started on a cooking, ballet, gardening (etc.) site. "How to get your man interested in Bouillabaisse," for instance. How many 'men' having posted in this Patsfans thread would read women's replies to Bouillabaisse (essentially parallel to how to get woman to like the Pats) and say to themselves , "that's never going to happen..."

Think about that next time you get cranky about your 'woman' and her reaction to football...

I got my woman to love football. At first Rex Ryan didn't like football because it confused him. After a few years under my tutelage he came to love football but stopped cooking for me.

Much of this thread stands as condescending bull tainted not so lightly with that - "oh, if I get her a pink hat and don't scream too loud my woman will probably only get up and leave the TV room for half the game!!! Including all the big plays she'd realize were huge if she'd only sit down and do what I do!!!!!" - mentality that sinks so many couples right off the bat.

Missing is -

My woman is actually interested (quietly) in trying to share my passions... Really?

The inevitable (and among so many: secretly hopeful) result of the employment of this too typical behavoir is a turn off by your "woman." Some people like football and some don't. But some are willing, and even eager, to share it with someone they love. But no one likes feeling they are being tested for acceptability while at the same time they are supposed to be feeling the local joy of Moss going 72yds for a perfect score.

Imagine, gents, the look of such a thread started on a cooking, ballet, gardening (etc.) site. "How to get your man interested in Bouillabaisse," for instance. How many 'men' having posted in this Patsfans thread would read women's replies to Bouillabaisse (essentially parallel to how to get woman to like the Pats) and say to themselves , "that's never going to happen..."

Think about that next time you get cranky about your 'woman' and her reaction to football...

Well said :rocker:

I don't think I'm going to change the fact that my girlfriend is a Bucs fan, but I've tried...

At least she's not a rabid Ravens fan like my wife! That playoff game was insufferable! I kept bringing up the 07 Pats-Ravens MNF game but even I have to admit that got kinda lame as the game/beatdown got out of hand.

Missing is -

My OP was not approaching this from the angle you seem to be taking issue with. It's a matter of introducing the game to someone who has no knowledge of it so she can make an informed decision of whether she likes it -- not to coerce, manipulate or brainwash. She's curious and interested in sharing my passion. I've met women before who "didn't like" football because they didn't understand it, and lacked the right guy in their life to patiently walk them through the basics. I see nothing wrong with proactively trying to share what, for me, can be a pretty time-consuming hobby for six months of the year. I'd much rather have her enthusiastically involved than otherwise feeling she needs to compete with it for my time. And yes, I do acknowledge that turnabout is fair play: She has her own "Bouillabaisse," which I have actively supported.

My OP was not approaching this from the angle you seem to be taking issue with. It's a matter of introducing the game to someone who has no knowledge of it so she can make an informed decision of whether she likes it

I have found that with women in particular my "violent, physical chess" analogy works well.

At that point, if anyone has even a basic understanding of the game of chess they have an immediate ballpark understanding of the the role of the pawns (offensive and defensive lines) the rooks, bishops and knights (WRs, TEs, RBs) as well as the queen (RB?) and King (QB).

It's not a perfect analogy but does give one the sense of what they are watching on the chess board/field and some sense of the strategy involved in opening up routes for players to advance while protecting the "King".

Comparing it to chess accurately describes the significant strategy involved and our attraction to the game as well.

I'd rather go fishing than watch any sports on tv. If it's Pats or Sox I can listen to it on the radio. Sports take away from family time and that you can never replace.

I'm very very lucky in this regard. My wife and I got married 3 years ago (early October). She and I both love football, and that's one of many reason's we got married! :D On our honeymoon, we went to San Fran (cool city) for about a week and then flew down to Dallas in 2007 to watch the Pats whip the Cowboys. She paid for the tickets to the game as a wedding gift to me.

The following year- 2008- the Pats played the 49ers and she suggested we go back to San Fran, hang out eat Sour Dough and amazing Chinese food, and watch the Pats play in SF. Brady was hurt, but we wanted to go anyway and see our team, so we did. 3rd row at the 25 yard line, on the pats side of the field. Pats won again. Cassel was starting to look a little more comfortable at this point.

We go to about 2 games a year, sometimes 3. We DVR the games we go to and watch them that night or the next night. When we watch at home the phone gets shut off, we get something "tail gate-ish" to eat and we watch it together. She screams at the TV as much as I do. She hates the colts, and jests as much as I do. And if someone even mentions the NE-NYG superbowl... well... we just don't talk about that game in our house.

I can't offer any advice on making someone like football, as she loved it right from the start. I consider myself a very lucky man for obvious reasons! :D

My girlfriend is slowly getting into football :)

I got her to watch the History of the Patriots DVD, and explained the rules while we watched the Cinn-Dallas game on Sunday!

I am still a little shocked when she came out with 'rookies are drafted to a team from their college team'!

Missing is -

i love to cook and do most of the cooking in my house so i can't agree lol

My wife is interested in football somewhat. She will watch the Patriots games with me and has stopped complaining about the duct tape on her mouth.:D

Actually there some very knowledgeable woman football fans- patchick is an example. I remember being at a business function with my wife about 5 years ago. I started talking to this young and very attractive female company representative. She not only knew her football but she was an avid draftnik. I asked her to marry me right in front of my wife. I figured that we could move to Utah. :cool:

I love football, and the Pats and the NFL, because it really is just one big soap opera where the catfights happen on the field on Sunday. Pitch it to her that way. Who can resist it when Tubby Wrecks messes up and says something stupid about a rival? What about the poor hapless Bills [the ugly stepsister], who can never get a (playoff) date? What about upstart Miami (and others), causing us headaches every year, like the business rival trying to steal our thunder (wins) or all our clients (players & coaches)? What about the heavy-handed Dad (Roger Badell) ready to strike down his charges when they mess up?

Women are interested in the story and the people behind the story. Once she understands the game a little better she'll be cheering with the best of them, and most of us don't need pink hats or shirts to do it!

I love football, and the Pats and the NFL, because it really is just one big soap opera where the catfights happen on the field on Sunday. Pitch it to her that way. Who can resist it when Tubby Wrecks messes up and says something stupid about a rival? What about the poor hapless Bills [the ugly stepsister], who can never get a (playoff) date? What about upstart Miami (and others), causing us headaches every year, like the business rival trying to steal our thunder (wins) or all our clients (players & coaches)? What about the heavy-handed Dad (Roger Badell) ready to strike down his charges when they mess up?

Women are interested in the story and the people behind the story. Once she understands the game a little better she'll be cheering with the best of them, and most of us don't need pink hats or shirts to do it!

drums.gif
Very well said!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Back