PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Get rid of Donte, Keep Asante

Status
Not open for further replies.
oww, this thread got really complicated....

why do most of you think there is no way for asante to come back? i think the odds are very good...

he IS playing very well, and Hobbs i think will get better...

Our O is good as long as we have Moss, but we need asante on D...and i think well sign him, if were willing to pay him 7mil for this yr, why not for more yrs?
There isn't enough room under the cap to keep both Randy Moss and Asante Samuel. I'm surprised that a number of posters expect Randy Moss to come cheap, which I hardly doubt. Even a levelized contract of 3 years/$22.5 million ($7.5 million per year) would be considered a discount to the market for Randy Moss.

http://www.patscap.com/futureyears.html

There isn't enough room under the cap to keep both Randy Moss and Asante Samuel. I'm surprised that a number of posters expect Randy Moss to come cheap, which I hardly doubt. Even a levelized contract of 3 years/$22.5 million ($7.5 million per year) would be considered a discount to the market for Randy Moss.

http://www.patscap.com/futureyears.html

no no, i believe we can resign Moss and Asante to similar contracts, b/c of we wont pay Donte his like 10 mil for next yr....we cut Donte to make room...

also, if we sign Randy to a 8mil/yr contract, and we offer Asante a similar one, how exactly is he gonna think that he is worth more then Randy?

no no, i believe we can resign Moss and Asante to similar contracts, b/c of we wont pay Donte his like 10 mil for next yr....we cut Donte to make room...

also, if we sign Randy to a 8mil/yr contract, and we offer Asante a similar one, how exactly is he gonna think that he is worth more then Randy?
That won't add up! If the Patriots do not exercise the option for Donte Stallworth, the Patriots will have roughly $17.5 million under the cap. If the cap figure for Moss next year will be $7.5 million, the Patriots will only have $10 million left under the cap for the following:

Sign unrestricted free agent Randall Gay
Sign unrestricted free agent linebacker (perhaps Kawika Mitchell?)
Sign unrestricted free agent Larry Izzo
Tender restricted free agent Mike Wright
Tender exclusive rights free agent Pierre Woods
Tender exclusive rights free agent Eric Alexander
Sign 2008 NFL Draft Picks
Reserve cap room for injury replacements

We don't need a guy to replace Asante. We only need a draftee to do 75% of what Asante does at less than 10% the cost of Asante.

This is not unlike 2005 with Ty Law, who signed with the NYJ and then the Pats drafted Hobbs in the 3rd round. So I expect a similar path will be taken this time. Asante will leave and the Pats will use a first day draft choice on a CB.

IOW, this has all happened before.

In 2005 Ty Law was cut because his salary for the year was enormous and he wouldn't restructure.

I wonder if that will be the same case for Rosevelt Colvin next year.

Yea, but with Colvin there's always the option of extension, and I don't think he'd be unreasonable with his contract demands. Remember, Colvin's original 2006, 2007, and 2008 cap hits were originally scheduled to be about $515K less, but NE pushed some of his cap hit back to free up space. Really, Colvin doesn't remind me of Ty Law at all.

Good shape for next year, yeah, and not bad for 09. 2010?

I don't know if I'm just all cranky lately, but it seems to me that with the amount of *** hitting the fan by 010, now might be the time to keep an eye on choices. Okay granted, Kelly Washington is gone. Is Stallworth a #2 worth a #1's pay? I don't think so, and the big payout is this offseason and coming season. Moss will probably cost us somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 M APY, yes, with the first year of the deal cheap next year. What does that do to us? It pushes the money we'll spend exactly where we don't want it into 2010.

Some guys whose hits go up significantly in 2008 and 2009, in millions:
Tom Brady 7.35 -> 14.73 -> 14.73 ->
Rosie Colvin 6.43 -> 7.39 -> ? (UFA)
Richard Seymour 6.71 -> 6.84 -> 9.79
Donte Stallworth 2.77 -> 6.37 -> 4.87
Randy Moss 3.0M -> ???? -> ?????
Adalius Thomas 3.41 -> 5.41 -> 6.41 -> 9.41 (010)

And next year we have almost 4M counting against the cap from Corey Dillon, don't forget.

Look at the impact of the known pickups, as well as the Brady impact (he took the hit this year... you can't keep restructuring him, unless he wants to give away money.) Just the players above count 13M more against the cap next year than this year...before we know the impact of the Moss deal AD, Seymour, and Brady continue that level of surplus expenditure over this year in 2009... so a significant amount of our "new" cap room is accounted right there.

So we have a buttload of FAs in 2010 and 11. We have a model and a tradition of depth. We have a model and tradition of roleplayers like Faulk (and the next Faulk, if we can find him,) being hired for the things they do, rather than a handful of homerun hitters.

We might want to ditch that model... if not, the facts are these:

- We've just signed a marquee wide receiver corps. It looks likely we'll keep a very pricey, very good #1. The Welker deal seems pretty locked in (he's not mentioned above, but he got about half upfront if memory serves.) Stallworth was structured very much like Moss, and before Moss was acquired (cheap the first year, expendable if he does not perform [or we get Randy Moss.])

- Nothing is free. Like matter and energy, you can convert one kind of money into another through loopholes. But the key is that cap money can't be created or destroyed.

- Are we "overspending" on depth now? How about on defense? Don't we spend to the cap, once all is said and done?

- Ergo, philosophy has shifted. But Moss was signed as a target of sudden opportunity, after Stallworth.

We're going to feel the cap pain eventually. Asante is a very good CB. But we might have to part ways. Stallworth is a good #2 receiver, but something tells me that we'll accept 40 TDs a year instead of 60 (totaling direct and indirect Stallworthlessness, and being generous.)

We need to realize this team has a habit of building its linebacking corps through free agency, a pricey proposition -- just for example. If we try to keep every expensive cog in the machine, we do end up with a well tuned Jag... and when it breaks down, it might spend time in the shop, and oh yeah, with no loaner. I'll take the pickup truck (okay with the flash new chrome too,) and the second car in the garage just in case. That's what depth is for this team, and going nuts over every cog in an immensely successful 07 team might not serve us well in the out years.

I guess it depends whether we're looking to have the big end-of-dynasty sale in 010 and 011, or whether we want to take it through the middle of the next decade (randomly named because that's the outside limit of Brady's really productive career.)

Oh yeah and by the way, we're gonna need to find out Steve Young at some point too :)

PFnV

ohh, i dont like that...

how bout if we cut stallworht AND kelley, how much space we got then???

so we resign moss, we cant afford to give samuel 7m/yr?

and extend colvin...

That won't add up! If the Patriots do not exercise the option for Donte Stallworth, the Patriots will have roughly $17.5 million under the cap. If the cap figure for Moss next year will be $7.5 million, the Patriots will only have $10 million left under the cap for the following:

Sign unrestricted free agent Randall Gay
Sign unrestricted free agent linebacker (perhaps Kawika Mitchell?)
Sign unrestricted free agent Larry Izzo
Tender restricted free agent Mike Wright
Tender exclusive rights free agent Pierre Woods
Tender exclusive rights free agent Eric Alexander
Sign 2008 NFL Draft Picks
Reserve cap room for injury replacements

btw, i think ur leaving the bonuses out of ur equations...not all of the 7.5 will be against the cap, cuz say 30% of it is bonuses (signing)...and then same goes for the rest of ur list....

do i make any sense? cuz im not pretending i know this stuff, barely understand it actually

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News