PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Get rid of Donte, Keep Asante

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
If they got rid of the extra WR, who really isnt doing THAT much (i really really like Donte, dont get me wrong) and keep Asante, i would not mind at all....

give the money to the guy who is harder to replace....Asante is very good, and with Hobbs not doing too great (even if gay is doing amazing this year, defenetely resign him---maybe he playes CB2 next year)

let Chad Jackson replace Donte....but dont ruin this great defense....i LOVE it

If they got rid of the extra WR, who really isnt doing THAT much (i really really like Donte, dont get me wrong) and keep Asante, i would not mind at all....

give the money to the guy who is harder to replace....Asante is very good, and with Hobbs not doing too great (even if gay is doing amazing this year, defenetely resign him---maybe he playes CB2 next year)

let Chad Jackson replace Donte....but dont ruin this great defense....i LOVE it

I'm with ya. I like them both, but Asante is really, truly an elite corner. I always thought he was a little overrated, but he has proven me wrong. I think he is way harder to replace than Donte. It's not even debateable.

I like Donte and I have since he was a Saint but I'd rather have Asante back. Moss is priority #1, of course, then Asante, and if there's money left over and Stallworth will take the paycut then he's #3, otherwise it was nice for a year, Donte.

Um, unfortunately the question is not Donte or Asante, it's Moss or Asante. Unless one of them (Moss) is willing to take a discout, they probably can't keep both. Donte's as good as gone iMO, with CJ filling his role next year.

I do like Stallworth but between Chad Jackson or Gaffney (he would be a lot cheaper to re-sign), we can clearly get by just fine without Stallworth assuming we keep Moss. They $$$ can be well spent elsewhere, whether it's Asante or whoever else.

I hope we keep Donte..NOT SURE it's a choice...Moss is needed and keeping DS would be really good....but AS?? I think he wants the big money..and that will not happen here..no matter what...If he were reasonable, I might agree..but I do not think that will happen...

I hope we keep Donte..NOT SURE it's a choice...Moss is needed and keeping DS would be really good....but AS?? I think he wants the big money..and that will not happen here..no matter what...If he were reasonable, I might agree..but I do not think that will happen...

We're paying AS $8M this year, so I guess you mean, we would'nt pay him that kind of money over several years? To me, a CB who can shut down his side of the field is one of the few players worth that kind of money - only a QB and Moss-like WR have greater impacts on the game. I'm not saying it can be done, but I think at the very least we make him a near-market offer.

Get rid of both of them. Asante is pretty good, but a lot of it is the system.

Get some new blood in there, see how it goes. Use the cap space to sign Moss..that'll be 8M per in cap hit, most likely.

I would certainly like to see us keep Asante. Especially since Hobss is our weak link now. Maybe it is because teams choose to go after him, but he is not all that good...

Get rid of both of them. Asante is pretty good, but a lot of it is the system.

Get some new blood in there, see how it goes. Use the cap space to sign Moss..that'll be 8M per in cap hit, most likely.

Wow, that's an ignorant post. Maybe we should say the same thing about Brady (Oh, that's right, everyone did used to say that about Brady).

If you're not prepared to explain the "system," and more specifically, what it is about the "system" that makes him such a great playmaker, tackler, and cover guy, then....stfu.

Can we enjoy the season first and start thinking of this stuff in February?

I don't like to see posts that start "Get rid of Donte..." during this big winning run.

I'm with ya. I like them both, but Asante is really, truly an elite corner. I always thought he was a little overrated, but he has proven me wrong. I think he is way harder to replace than Donte. It's not even debateable.

Did Lee Evans even get a catch last night, given Samuel was covering him all night?

edit: answered my own question.

1-10-BUF 18 (Q1 14:53) (Shotgun) 7-J.Losman pass deep left to 83-L.Evans pushed ob at BUF 34 for 16 yards (27-E.Hobbs). Caught along sideline at BUF 34.
2-10-BUF 30 (Q1 6:28) 7-J.Losman pass short right to 83-L.Evans pushed ob at BUF 39 for 9 yards (22-A.Samuel). Caught along sideline at BUF 39.
2-10-BUF 41 (Q1 5:15) 7-J.Losman to BUF 30 for -11 yards (97-J.Green). FUMBLES (97-J.Green), and recovers at BUF 25. 7-J.Losman pass short right to 86-M.Gaines to NE 46 for 13 yards (22-A.Samuel).
3-6-BUF 33 (Q2 3:05) (Shotgun) 7-J.Losman pass deep middle to 83-L.Evans to BUF 49 for 16 yards (37-R.Harrison). Caught at BUF 49. New England challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) 7-J.Losman pass incomplete deep middle to 83-L.Evans. Pass bounced to receiver at BUF 49.
2-7-NE 34 (Q3 6:18) 7-J.Losman pass incomplete short left to 83-L.Evans (27-E.Hobbs) [75-V.Wilfork]. Receiver and coverage along sideline at NE 22.
1-10-BUF 47 (Q4 11:55) 7-J.Losman pass incomplete deep middle to 83-L.Evans (27-E.Hobbs). Receiver and coverage at NE 5.
1-10-BUF 35 (Q4 3:49) 22-F.Jackson right tackle to BUF 38 for 3 yards (22-A.Samuel, 94-T.Warren).
3-5-BUF 40 (Q4 2:24) (Shotgun) 7-J.Losman pass short left to 83-L.Evans to BUF 46 for 6 yards (27-E.Hobbs). Caught in flat at BUF 43.
2-6-midfield (Q4 1:12) (Shotgun) 7-J.Losman pass short left to 83-L.Evans ran ob at NE 41 for 9 yards. Caught along sideline at NE 41.

Asante was covering Evans most of the game and essentially took him out of the game. Plus made a tackle on a running play and on the broken-play fumble-recovery-scramble-pass for a 1st down routine. Not a bad performance. Did roughly the same to Reggie Wayne too.

Last edited:
yeah, I saw at least one mid range grab

I love them both but if it comes to nut cutting time I would have to say they may loose both and give that money to Moss and other guys heading to FA. Gay is playing like everyone thought he could finally and is staying healthy doing it. AS is gonna want multi year 8-10 mil. That aint gonna happen not when BB is so good at hiding a CB short comings. Gay is good enough that the gap is not hard to hide in a scheme and with the O being as bad ass as it is they dont need to be #1 in D. they can be top 10 and still win 13 games a year for years to come. I say they let both of them go take that 1st rounder and trade down for a lower 1st rounder and they draft a CB and another saftey or perhaps a LB. Yes I know the pats dont draft LB's often but what else do they need??

Asante is the man. Plain and simple.

Moss.
Asante.
Re-structure Rosey.

Wow, that's an ignorant post. Maybe we should say the same thing about Brady (Oh, that's right, everyone did used to say that about Brady).

People said about Brady: Get rid of both of them and let's get some new blood in here? I waded through a lot of Bledsoe vs. Brady posts and I never heard anything remotely like that. Telling people to stfu and posting stuff like that in retort makes me wonder if your not just a troll from another team trying to start crap.

I agree. I just don't see Asante coming down on his demands and I don't
see PATs paying that much. Gay and Hobbs may be next years starters
which isn't all that bad.
This doesn't mean Donte is automatically in but I bet PATs will try to bend
a little more to keep this receiver core intact for next year.

If you're not prepared to explain the "system," and more specifically, what it is about the "system" that makes him such a great playmaker, tackler, and cover guy, then....stfu.

It's not ignorant at all. Asante benefits greatly from coaching and the system.

Other players who've left Branch, Givens, Patten haven't done as well in other systems.

You'll see when they get rid of him and he's a good but not great CB. Until then, don't tell people to 'stfu' as it's not your board.

Basically, I think they could take a good athletic CB from college and make him a very good CB pretty quickly...and he'd cost about 1/8th as much as Samuel, if that.

Why have all these draft picks if you have no place to put them? 8M per year is steep. I think he's good, just not as good as he thinks he is. They need to save money somewhere if they want to sign moss at 8M per or so...what he brings, can't be taught, IMO. He's unique.

Last edited:
It seems unlikely that they'll keep either--Stallworth for the reasons mentioned (apparently adequate replacements, etc.), and Samuel for cost. My understanding is that they can't franchise him again, and Samuel will be looking for the biggest deal possible. Knowing the way the league works, there will definitely be some team out there that will trump the Pats.

Is anyone else worried about the lack of quality CBs in the pipeline? I think we gotta resign Asante.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down