PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gary Mayers troll piece on Belichick: "I can make a strong case he’s overrated and living off Brady"

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the Denver mediots asked BB what the Patriot way means, he said he's never used that term so I don't know.

I took a look at how Gary Myers reacted to players on the NY football teams getting charged with DUI. While he was consistent in chastising the players, there's a noticeable difference in his approach.

With Braylon Edwards and David Diehl, Myers pointed out the dangers of drinking and driving and, like he did with Michael Floyd, noted that the players were lucky they didn't injure or kill anyone. He also pushed for both players to be benched for a game (The Jets held Edwards for a quarter, Diehl did not miss any playing time.)

What was missing in both of those cases was Myers taking the Giants or Jets leadership to task. There was no labeling of Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum or Tom Coughlin and Jerry Reese as hypocrites and enablers. No claiming that either of the coaches involved were "holier-than-thou" or "nauseating." With Edwards, the Jets took a risk and got burned. With the Giants, Coughlin and Reese should have used Diehl's situation as a learning opportunity for the rest of the team. The problem was entirely with the player, not the team. Unless, of course, the Patriots were involved. Then the team is a morals-free cesspool.

Brady and Belichick are both great. They were destined to unite just like Ringo,Paul,George and John.

It only happens every so often in entertainment.

Myers has become one of Brady's biggest defenders and one of Goodell's biggest detractors since he saw the light on Deflategate, regularly writing columns to the effect that the League owes the Pats their picks and Brady an apology. He takes a lot of heat for that in the New York market, so I can understand why he's throwing the locals a little red meat about BB.

The truth is that it's a fair debate to have.

People will be having the "Chicken/Egg" debate about "Belichick/Brady" long after most of us are pushing up daisies. So, taking a side is fair game. My own view is that it's the greatest Coach/Player combination in the history of sports and I just leave it at that.

As for Floyd. While I'll be honest and say that I'll be very pleased if he helps the team down the stretch, I am a little big uneasy about picking him up, given the circumstances under which the DUI occurred.

It's not like he was stopped at random and blew a hundredth of a point over the legal limit (don't get me wrong...it would have shown bad judgment to be driving impaired even slightly). He was asleep/passed out drunk behind the wheel of a running vehicle at an intersection, with his foot on the brake. That could have ended up as a catastrophe. And, yes, I am being inconsistent there, so don't call me out on it as I acknowledge and can live with the inconsistency. I'm willing to look at two such circumstances in two different ways.

[edit to correct brain fart]

Last edited:
Myers has become one of Brady's biggest defenders and one of Goodell's biggest detractors since he saw the light on Deflategate, regularly writing columns to the effect that the League owes the Pats their picks and Brady an apology. He takes a lot of heat for that in the New York market, so I can understand why he's throwing the locals a little red meat about BB.

The truth is that it's a fair debate to have.

People will be having the "Chicken/Egg" debate about "Belichick/Brady" long after most of us are pushing up daisies. So, taking a side is fair game. My own view is that it's the greatest Coach/Player combination in the history of sports and I just leave it at that.

As for Lynch. While I'll be honest and say that I'll be very pleased if he helps the team down the stretch, I am a little big uneasy about picking him up, given the circumstances under which the DUI occurred.

It's not like he was stopped at random and blew a hundredth of a point over the legal limit (don't get me wrong...it would have shown bad judgment to be driving impaired even slightly). He was asleep/passed out drunk behind the wheel of a running vehicle at an intersection, with his foot on the brake. That could have ended up as a catastrophe. And, yes, I am being inconsistent there, so don't call me out on it as I acknowledge and can live with the inconsistency. I'm willing to look at two such circumstances in two different ways.
Wait....what? Who is Lynch?

If you mean Floyd, apparently, you think he should be blacklisted from having a job in the league, while violent abusers like Josh Brown, Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy get chance after chance.

Floyd gets a clean slate here. I'm pretty confident if he has an alcohol related incident while here, he'll be gone the next day..

And no, it isn't a fair debate to have. He's not taking a side, he's completely trashing Belichick. Because he has a personal agenda.

Wait....what? Who is Lynch?

If you mean Floyd, apparently, you think he should be blacklisted from having a job in the league, while violent abusers like Josh Brown, Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy get chance after chance.

Floyd gets a clean slate here. I'm pretty confident if he has an alcohol related incident while here, he'll be gone the next day..

And no, it isn't a fair debate to have. He's not taking a side, he's completely trashing Belichick. Because he has a personal agenda.
First of all, thanks for correcting my error. I was distracted.

As for Myers, what is his agenda? We all know he doesn't like BB and resents that he left the Jests high and dry.

First of all, thanks for correcting my error. I was distracted.

As for Myers, what is his agenda? We all know he doesn't like BB and resents that he left the Jests high and dry.
That his agenda. He has a personal vendetta against Belichick.

That his agenda. He has a personal vendetta against Belichick.
OK. So, he doesn't like Belichick. He has a lot of company outside New England.

Why are we so thin-skinned about it? They just "Hate him 'cause they Ain't him."

Myers is better than most, though. Unlike the CHB he has come loudly to Brady's support after Deflategate. I don't care whether Myers likes Belichick and I doubt Belichick cares whether he likes Belichick either.

OK. So, he doesn't like Belichick. He has a lot of company outside New England.

Why are we so thin-skinned about it? They just "Hate him 'cause they Ain't him."

Myers is better than most, though. Unlike the CHB he has come loudly to Brady's support after Deflategate. I don't care whether Myers likes Belichick and I doubt Belichick cares whether he likes Belichick either.

It's fine he's a Brady guy, but I have no use for guys who grind their personal agendas against Bill. Especially since it almost always indicates a fundamental ignorance of the game.

It's fine he's a Brady guy, but I have no use for guys who grind their personal agendas against Bill. Especially since it almost always indicates a fundamental ignorance of the game.
Myers knows the game pretty well. He's also not alone in arguing that Belichick has taken a ride on the Brady Train, just as there are those who argue the other way. I think it's a reasonable debate about which reasonable people can disagree.

As I said in my first post, for me, it's a chicken/egg kind of thing that I just resolve for myself by saying that they are two highly talented guys who ended up working together to the everlasting delight of us Patriots fans.

And, while most of us on this Board find BB to be a basically likable curmudgeon, there are many (usually on the losing side of his skills) who don'f find him as likable.

Let's be honest here. Bill Belichick doesn't go out of his way to be liked. Some people respond to that by not liking him and saying that he is what he is because of Brady.

I really don't think it's a big deal. Most highly successful and accomplished people have their detractors. It comes with the turf.

Myers knows the game pretty well. He's also not alone in arguing that Belichick has taken a ride on the Brady Train, just as there are those who argue the other way. I think it's a reasonable debate about which reasonable people can disagree.

As I said in my first post, for me, it's a chicken/egg kind of thing that I just resolve for myself by saying that they are two highly talented guys who ended up working together to the everlasting delight of us Patriots fans.

And, while most of us on this Board find BB to be a basically likable curmudgeon, there are many (usually on the losing side of his skills) who don'f find him as likable.

Let's be honest here. Bill Belichick doesn't go out of his way to be liked. Some people respond to that by not liking him and saying that he is what he is because of Brady.

I really don't think it's a big deal. Most highly successful and accomplished people have their detractors. It comes with the turf.
**** him. He's a NY writer with an axe to grind. He can kiss my ass. And Bill's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back