PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gary Guyton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick has said that it was a mistake not to take Guyton over Rudd.

When?

Oh, and for the millionth time, this dude is not on the team...
180px-Paul_Rudd_LF.JPG

No upside for Denver to make that deal. Even if BJ Raji and Orakpo are somehow off the board, they need to upgrade their defense. I think if we trade up, it will be with New Orleans or San Diego, both of whom don't have 2nd round picks and would probably take 47 and 23 for their spot. But I feel like that would be a waste, Maualuga is good and would be a great addition but I'm not sure he's worth trashing a pick that could turn into a standout player. Besides, I doubt he falls past Denver anyway. There are basically, as I see it, five "can't miss" defensive players in the draft:

Curry
Orakpo
Jenkins
Raji
Maualuga

They'll all be gone by 15, at the latest. So I guess the question is moot anyway; and I bet Guyton is a starter (the weak link?) this year.

What about trade 23 and 47 for N.O. 15, and pick Jenkins. Have him play a hybrid S/CB like Tank (who will probably just be hurt) could be a solid nickleback his rookie year.

Is Connor Barwin available at 34 still? If not who else?

Then pick say Jasper Brinkley with the 58?

What is your ideal (realistic) draft look like for the Pats this year? Without a trade?

What about trade 23 and 47 for N.O. 15, and pick Jenkins. Have him play a hybrid S/CB like Tank (who will probably just be hurt) could be a solid nickleback his rookie year.

What is your ideal (realistic) draft look like for the Pats this year? Without a trade?

I'm nowhere near the draft IQ as some of the guys (and gals!) on the draft talk forum, but I don't think Jenkins is worth moving up for. If we were going to move up it would be to try for a guy like Orakpo or a Maualuga. I don't think it happens.

Personally I think Barwin is going to be there at 34, I doubt we take him with 23. It's possible that Miami might want him, but I think we'll draft for value with that pick. Don't be shocked if we take Knowshon Moreno at 23 if he's on the board, that's my sleeper. If he's not there at 34 there are a number of great options, my favorite being Larry English.

My IDEAL draft...borderline unrealistic but possible, is Andre Smith, Connor Barwin, Louis Delmas, and Clint Sintim with the first four picks. That would be a solid draft. But I wouldn't be surprised to see something like, say, Vontae Davis, Clay Matthews, William Beatty, and another possession wideout or even a tight end. People may wind up spitting their beers out during the draft when we take Ebon Britton or Vontae Davis with our first round pick. But any way you cut it, we're going to make out like bandits. There's just too much talent to not hit a few punches with the picks we have.

I'm nowhere near the draft IQ as some of the guys (and gals!) on the draft talk forum, but I don't think Jenkins is worth moving up for. If we were going to move up it would be to try for a guy like Orakpo or a Maualuga. I don't think it happens.

Personally I think Barwin is going to be there at 34, I doubt we take him with 23. It's possible that Miami might want him, but I think we'll draft for value with that pick. Don't be shocked if we take Knowshon Moreno at 23 if he's on the board, that's my sleeper. If he's not there at 34 there are a number of great options, my favorite being Larry English.

My IDEAL draft...borderline unrealistic but possible, is Andre Smith, Connor Barwin, Louis Delmas, and Clint Sintim with the first four picks. That would be a solid draft. But I wouldn't be surprised to see something like, say, Vontae Davis, Clay Matthews, William Beatty, and another possession wideout or even a tight end. People may wind up spitting their beers out during the draft when we take Ebon Britton or Vontae Davis with our first round pick. But any way you cut it, we're going to make out like bandits. There's just too much talent to not hit a few punches with the picks we have.

My initial thought was to trade up to get Maualuga, but apparently he is as dumb as a pile bricks? I still like him.

I really like Connor Barwin, and apparently they recently invited him to Foxboro. We'll see.

Like Ebbon Britton on the OL. What about Kenny Britt at WR?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like drafting wideouts in the first two rounds. We have our WR corps for at least two more productive years; if Randy starts to significantly decline you take his contract and give it to someone else who comes into the market.

If you were going with a borderline luxury pick like that I'd want it to be for a Pat White, and only at 58.

why are we making trades to move up 8 slots and giving up a great draft selection? there are so many good players this year, it seems a little foolish to make a trade like you suggest. i think this year, due to the depth, the Trade Value Chart is not accurate for 2nd round picks. Becuase there are so many good second round picks the value for them should go up. at least thats how I would judge any potential offer

why are we making trades to move up 8 slots and giving up a great draft selection? there are so many good players this year, it seems a little foolish to make a trade like you suggest. i think this year, due to the depth, the Trade Value Chart is not accurate for 2nd round picks. Becuase there are so many good second round picks the value for them should go up. at least thats how I would judge any potential offer

Not knowing the particular players, I have to agree with spending what picks it takes to get the player you want. Draft picks aren't currency and there's a lot of value to getting who you want, rather than scrambling to get the next best on your board.

Also, with the extra picks we'll still have, we can still pick up any value picks we might have missed at 47, or whatever.

Last edited:
My initial thought was to trade up to get Maualuga, but apparently he is as dumb as a pile bricks? I still like him.

I really like Connor Barwin, and apparently they recently invited him to Foxboro. We'll see.

Like Ebbon Britton on the OL. What about Kenny Britt at WR?

Cousin, Remember some NFL executive who was not supposed to leak this information, allowed it to leak out (it may or may not be true) on purpose that Rey was as "dumb as bricks". It's called eliminating the competition. "Say, did you guys see Reys' score? You shouldn't draft him!"

DaBruinz made a great point. Wilfork had a 10 Wonderlic and Watson had about a 41. Who do you want to get a contract extension?
DW Toys

Cousin, Remember some NFL executive who was not supposed to leak this information, allowed it to leak out (it may or may not be true) on purpose that Rey was as "dumb as bricks". It's called eliminating the competition. "Say, did you guys see Reys' score? You shouldn't draft him!"

DaBruinz made a great point. Wilfork had a 10 Wonderlic and Watson had about a 41. Who do you want to get a contract extension?
DW Toys

I think ILB in a 2-gap 3-4 has a little bit more to think about than a NT, but I do agree. I really like Maualuga, and think he would be a good pick up and worth giving up two picks to get.

I also feel like the Pats wont be using all of their picks this year, trade up, trade into next year, what have you.

I want them to get Connor Barwin though. I'm not sure where he's still going to be available though.

Everyone has convinced themselves that Rey Mauluga, a 2 down TJ runstuffer, was the best ILB until they found out he was dumb as a stump.

I would point out to you that there is a ILB candidate who not only won the Butkus award And was rated as a sure fire First round pick for his linebacking play; but is also an Academic All-American too. So he has brains as well as brawn. :p

I have never objected to drafting a 2 down TJ runstuffer; but I believe you are better off with an all-around 3 down ILB. I prefer a big 245#+ guy who can blitz, defend the run, and defend the pass, in todays NFL.

Devil's advocate for a moment—why not draft, say, Guyton (or Green-Ellis) instead of Bo Ruud, or Ventrone instead of Andy Stokes, etc.?

Why wait until the 6th round for Brady or the 7th round for Casell? Beioli are good not God.:D;)

Everyone has convinced themselves that Rey Mauluga, a 2 down TJ runstuffer, was the best ILB until they found out he was dumb as a stump.

I would point out to you that there is a ILB candidate who not only won the Butkus award And was rated as a sure fire First round pick for his linebacking play; but is also an Academic All-American too. So he has brains as well as brawn. :p

I have never objected to drafting a 2 down TJ runstuffer; but I believe you are better off with an all-around 3 down ILB. I prefer a big 245#+ guy who can blitz, defend the run, and defend the pass, in todays NFL.

Laurinaitis? I like him too. There really are a LOT of good young linebackers this year.

Curry won it this year, but don't think that would happen.

Guyton is and will be a quality player for us in the same way Don Davis was a quality player for us. Great role player, reservist and situational starter.

The fact that he saw so much time last year is less about how good he is and more about how thin the LB position is for us overall, IMO. The fact that Bruschi, Seau and Colvin were significant players for us by the end of the season just shows how short-benched we are.

Guyton is and will be a quality player for us in the same way Don Davis was a quality player for us. Great role player, reservist and situational starter.

The fact that he saw so much time last year is less about how good he is and more about how thin the LB position is for us overall, IMO. The fact that Bruschi, Seau and Colvin were significant players for us by the end of the season just shows how short-benched we are.

I don't know. I don't think you can draw that conclusion yet since no one really knows where his ceiling is.

My own opinion is that he'll be more of a Roman Phifer than a Don Davis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes