PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gary Guyton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzafted

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Is he the long-term solution as a Tedy replacement? I understand he had a very competent rookie season, although nothing he did particularly stands out for me. There's talk of taking, for example, a Clint Sintim to play ILB in this year's draft, but is it possible we found a starter already? How does everyone feel? What are his major downsides? I still think we pick a pass rushing DE/OLB with #23 or #34, but if we can take our other picks and focus elsewhere, it would be great.

Is he the long-term solution as a Tedy replacement? I understand he had a very competent rookie season, although nothing he did particularly stands out for me. There's talk of taking, for example, a Clint Sintim to play ILB in this year's draft, but is it possible we found a starter already? How does everyone feel? What are his major downsides? I still think we pick a pass rushing DE/OLB with #23 or #34, but if we can take our other picks and focus elsewhere, it would be great.
Guyton was a rookie last year. How can you decide is a guy is a long term solution based on his rookie year? See if he takes a great sophomore season leap like Meriweather or does a second year flop like Bethel.

I would say the odds are against Sintim replacing Guyton because there is only a 1 in 32 chance that Sintim will even be on the team.

Guyton is my Sophomore Binky. I think he's the starting ILB w/ Mayo by game four.

all you can really say is that guyton far exceeded expectations last year.......what was more impressive is he did so in a complex defense all while not being in anyones plan beyond being a special teamer last year

I would say at a minimum, he will be valuable depth

I think it depends a lot on how effectively he can bulk up this offseason. Right now, he's more of a situational-type LB, but with some bulk and some coaching from Belichick, who knows? FWIW, it sounds like he has the right gym-rat mentality to make those necessary offseason improvements.

what was more impressive is he did so in a complex defense

I attribute that to BB putting Guyton into a situation role where he was not asked to do make many decisions. When they moved him to OLB in an expanded role it was bad.

This is all depending on if we draft an ILB prospect. If we get an ILB prospect in the first round, then there is going to be a positional battle between them. I would love to see that.

An undrafted rookie getting significant reps in BB's system says a lot about the man.

we are SOLID on the inside.

I attribute that to BB putting Guyton into a situation role where he was not asked to do make many decisions. When they moved him to OLB in an expanded role it was bad.

Certainly wasn't good, but it was about what I'd expect from a rookie playing out of position.

We want to have a 3 man rotation on the inside Icertainly see Guyton as a part of that rotation. I also want to see a draft pick to address as an ILB. This could be a DL conversion.

He is a good player but along with mayo we are loosing some bulk in the middle. so we need some bigger just to take on gaurds every down.
mayo and guyton are aroudn 240 while bru is close to 250 but ted johnson was 20 lb bigger.

asking a 240 lanky guy to take on 300 lb gaurd on even 50% snap is tough.

This is all depending on if we draft an ILB prospect. If we get an ILB prospect in the first round, then there is going to be a positional battle between them. I would love to see that.

yeah but why do that if you've got someone who can play the WILB spot already.... I guess the impetus for my question is, let's say you're in a position with the 23 pick where Maualuga and let's say Andre Smith are both on the board. You feel like Barwin will still be there at 34 (for the sake of argument), but not one of these two. Has Guyton showed enough potential that you'd look at other areas of need even if there is a standout ILB prospect on the board? I know most people would say, draft Maualuga, but I suspect there will be some strong positional value at OT/S/HB on the board there. If you think you have a strong ILB rotation already, you'd focus on edge rushers, the defensive backfield, and the offensive line with the first three or four picks this year, right? Was Guyton's rookie year inside (not outside, too many good prospects to even think he'll be expected to play there again next year) enough to drop the interior linebacking spot down in the order of need for the draft this year, or was he a stopgap that needs to be upgraded?

Guyton is my Sophomore Binky. I think he's the starting ILB w/ Mayo by game four.

Not an unrealistic idea.
Has some tools. Will be ahead of the curve from any draft pick.
DW Toys

I quite like the idea of Mayo and Bru/Guyton rotational. Draft an OLB in round one.

He is a good player but along with mayo we are loosing some bulk in the middle. so we need some bigger just to take on gaurds every down.
mayo and guyton are aroudn 240 while bru is close to 250 but ted johnson was 20 lb bigger.

asking a 240 lanky guy to take on 300 lb gaurd on even 50% snap is tough.

as this person mentioned, guyton is too small......i doubt he can bulk up enuff to play the SILB position, and his speed is his best asset...i dont see him as a starter, but as the #3 ILB guy for us, who will play in obvious passing situations b/c of his speed/range

Maybe Guyton could become like Phifer. Still looking for the big, strong, 3-down run-stuffer inside. Ted Johnson, Steve Nelson, Brian Cox, Vincent Brown...

Physically, Guyton is a tall kinda skinny kid compared to our image of a stocky run stuffin' MLB. He doesn't look the part but the operative factor is can he play the role?

He's been a pleasant surprise. he had kick@ss numbers at the combine.

If he is a solid #3 ILB for 5 or 6 years, I think I'd be more than happy. I think that if he ends up being a productive starter, that's a plus.

yeah but why do that if you've got someone who can play the WILB spot already.... I guess the impetus for my question is, let's say you're in a position with the 23 pick where Maualuga and let's say Andre Smith are both on the board. You feel like Barwin will still be there at 34 (for the sake of argument), but not one of these two. Has Guyton showed enough potential that you'd look at other areas of need even if there is a standout ILB prospect on the board? I know most people would say, draft Maualuga, but I suspect there will be some strong positional value at OT/S/HB on the board there. If you think you have a strong ILB rotation already, you'd focus on edge rushers, the defensive backfield, and the offensive line with the first three or four picks this year, right? Was Guyton's rookie year inside (not outside, too many good prospects to even think he'll be expected to play there again next year) enough to drop the interior linebacking spot down in the order of need for the draft this year, or was he a stopgap that needs to be upgraded?

I'd jump all over Andre smith, if BB TB Randy so on and so on can't get Smith's head into daylight than who the hell can. We need a dominate LT, Light is a B/B- at best and constantly looks awful against a speed rush. He also has a tendancy to forget how to count at big moments which to me is unexcusable. I am all for some o-line upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing