PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Plan Thoughts for Houston?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruschi's Breakdown -- New England Patriots-Houston Texans on "Monday Night Football" is worthy of all the hype - ESPN Boston

Mike: Since 2002, the Patriots are 71-14 at Gillette Stadium in the regular season, which is the best record in the NFL. This year, the Texans are 6-0 on the road, the only team in the league with a perfect record away from home. Something has to give. Let's get into the breakdown by delving into the Texans' offense.

Tedy: When you're looking at their system -- one read, one cut, get downhill with the zone blocking up front -- you go back to the Denver days when Mike Shanahan was there. Of course, Texans coach Gary Kubiak was once an assistant under Shanahan in Denver, so that explains the connection. Their offensive line moves in unison, it's almost like synchronized swimming, and they block an area -- if you come into that area, that's the player you have to contend with. One thing that can be challenging for a defensive player is some of the tactics they use on the back side of that zone running game; they want to chop you down and they don't care how they do it. I've seen ankle biting, I've seen barrel rolls on film, and there have been times when players are engaged and another offensive lineman comes in and chops them down -- which inside the tackle box is legal. You can talk about the unwritten code in the NFL, about not chopping a guy down when he's not looking, or preserving the health of your fellow NFL member; it doesn't come into account with the Texans. I wouldn't call them dirty, but it's just the way they get the job done. It's tough to watch as a defensive player, always frustrating to go against -- you're going to have to play the cut block and these guys are going to be on the ground.
It's a savvy offensive line that works well within the system -- a little undersized, but they're athletic, and they know how to get on your legs and that makes it tough in the running game.

Am I the only more confident in Donald Thomas being in there over Mankins?

I feel like our ground game is stronger with Thomas in the game. Mankin's hasn't looked 100% all season.

I feel like our ground game is stronger with Thomas in the game. Mankin's hasn't looked 100% all season.

Mankins is clearly the superior player when healthy. If he is healthy enough to play then I will not be upset that he gets the nod over Thomas. However, be that is it may, I do like the experience the backups have gained this season with the injuries to the offensive line. Feel this will improve our depth if we can keep these players around for a few years. :)

Last edited:

If they're both healthy then, yes, you would be the only one.

Wow, nothing sells like drama & Bruschi seasoned that one just right....

Take a look at how many defensive linemen or LBs have gotten hurt vs the Texans. I know some of the "technique" worries some players, but in truth, nobody gets hurt by our hawgs.... well, other than their pride.

By the way, can one of you guys spike Vince Willforks game juice or something? We'd appreciate it if he weren't playing, but we wouldn't do anything dirty to make it happen.

Take a look at how many defensive linemen or LBs have gotten hurt vs the Texans. I know some of the "technique" worries some players, but in truth, nobody gets hurt by our hawgs.... well, other than their pride.

By the way, can one of you guys spike Vince Willforks game juice or something? We'd appreciate it if he weren't playing, but we wouldn't do anything dirty to make it happen.

Maybe Vince and JJ Watt can share a drink together.

;)

We may need Thomas on the right side if Connolly's back is still an issue.

What do the Texans have on their interior o-line? Do they have anyone you feel could consistently go toe to toe with Vince? Vince had been a monster in every game except the Ravens game.

Our O-line looks like chop liver as compared with the Bronco's of old.

With more emphasis on player safety, our zone blocking is much cleaner than ever.

In fact, all teams in the NFL run the ZBS as part of their scheme.
Our guys, with more practice, are able to do it "more in the right way".

None of them has been labeled a dirty player by their peers.
You don't see any fine (or did I miss one) or bad press.

on defense , stopping the zone running plays and boot legs are going to be a huge challenge. We saw how successful indy was running to the edges .The other thing which curran mentioned was how amped up brady gets for these games and sometimes too amped up and becomes over agressive with deep shots etc. Need to settle down early.

What do the Texans have on their interior o-line? Do they have anyone you feel could consistently go toe to toe with Vince? Vince had been a monster in every game except the Ravens game.

It would be foolish for us to try to go toe to toe with Wilfork.

Our Center Myers has become very efficient with the hook block that helps quite a bit against big guys.

We have a rookie Guard Brandon Brooks who played at some 348 in college but is currently listed 337.

The coaches want him to play at a lighter weight to be more efficient in the ZBS.

He only recently saw some playing time.
The most snaps he's seen so far was last week, I forgot wherether it was 15 or 18 snaps.

With some help, he was involved in 5 take-down or pancake blocks against the Titans.

I honestly have one seen Houston on Red Zone so cannot say too much but I would be physical and question their toughness. All those that play Fantasy know that Schaub and AJ are injury prone...

I honestly have one seen Houston on Red Zone so cannot say too much but I would be physical and question their toughness. All those that play Fantasy know that Schaub and AJ are injury prone...

They Are both healthy and very hungry this year.

The label injury-prone is unjustified regarding Schaub.
If you get hurt in a similar way that Brady got hurt, ya' know

They Are both healthy and very hungry this year.

The label injury-prone is unjustified regarding Schaub.
If you get hurt in a similar way that Brady got hurt, ya' know

Schaub has missed significant time in three of his six seasons as a starter. How is the injury-prone label unjustified?

Last edited:
Not sure what's up but the line just jumped from Pats -4 to -5.5 or even -6 depending where you look. Usually that kind of jump is from an injury. Anyone have any info?

Not sure what's up but the line just jumped from Pats -4 to -5.5 or even -6 depending where you look. Usually that kind of jump is from an injury. Anyone have any info?

Maybe Gronk got angry and decided he was going to play tonight? :eek:

Uh... no one.

Our line is more a sum of its parts, especially on the inside. The three guys have to work in unison to deal with Vince. In the run game, it's going to be about confusing him, getting him to move laterally.

In the passing game it's going to be about Moving Matt around. Not letting him be a stationary target. Schaub pretty much gets the ball out on time. Even if that means throwing it away.

Schaub has missed significant time in three of his six seasons as a starter. How is the injury-prone label unjustified?

What would you say if Brady got hurt pretty much the same way in 3 different years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back