PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Frontline Report on Football and CTE injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things that people forget is that a concussion is the brain hitting the skull.. I'm not sure that you can devise a helmet that would 100% prevent this. However, I think a combination of that one dentist's mouthguard with a helmet that actually absorbs the impact instead of transferring it would be better than what they have now..

The NFL concussion spotter hard at work. Case Keenum got his head hit hard to the ground in a sack, and could barely get up again. He played the very next play. Not taken off the field or anything

What does this mean for the future of the sport and our enjoyment of it. A few random thoughts:
  • Even more than now, the sport will attract those from a lower socio economic stratus who are willing to take the risk (or do not understand that risk).
  • What must be going through Bryan Stork's mind?
  • Why don't I feel more guilt in the enjoyment of this sport?

All football fans should watch this. It is very disturbing and MAY make you feel different about the sport. I know I felt kinda physically ill watching it. It made me very depressed about a sport I have loved since I was 6 years old (back in 1968, I'm 53 now). But it's very important to watch.

Also it shows the NFL leadership is so corrupt. Even Jet's fans, would come away thinking, hmm maybe Goodell and Tagliabue are corrupt. I came out of it knowing they are/were corrupt, no ifs ands or buts. Not just corrupt (Goodell has been found guilty of contempt of court several times ), but they are disgusting individuals who do not care about human life, yet all they talk about is protecting the shield and integrity, yet their actions and lies are going to cause lifelong brain injuries to not just NFL players, but football players of all levels.

We as Pat's fans knew all along there are no bounds to what lengths Goodell's and the league's corruption can reach. Deflategate was a nice (for them) distraction for the league to use to sweep the concussion issue under the rug for a little bit of time, but with this and the Will Smith concussion movie that is coming out, they can not hide behind the crooked shield they are trying to protect.

All those idiots who feverishly stood behind Goodell during Deflategate (especially the media) should be ashamed of themselves and should be forced to watch this 10 times in a row and then be forced to answer to the former player's families who were found to have CTE.

My only critique about the documentary was there was no comments about what can be done to avoid these horrible brain injuries and brain damage. Obviously helmets have to be improved, I know in hockey, former players like Mark Messier are working with a helmet company to come up with a helmet that will help players avoid concussions. This has to be addressed immediately in football. Better helmets that can better address the pounding the heads of players take every game has to be invented ASAP.

I guess in the long run, it's not up to Frontline to come up with answers, their job is to report the story. They did a great job.

The comments were clear.

1) If you are under 12 years old, don't play football.

2) If you are under 98 years old, don't play football.

Frontline does an amazing job with how they present information. You can watch one of their shows on almost any topic and be engaged.

Their segments on Isis, Syria, Al Quaida or anything in the Middle East is usually incredible. Learn so much about that region from Frontline. The one about the children in Syria was astounding. I hate everything that is going on over there and hate that Europe and America has to deal with the terrorism that is caused by some of the horrible people from that region.

Honestly you have to present this info to players before they choose to play. The it's their choice.

If they choose to continue, so be it. Ultimately it's their life, body and choice. I can't understand people not wanting to do something they love because of the risks involved. I'd rather do what I do and risk my body physically then spend my whole life wondering how good I could've been and wishing for something better.

Honestly you have to present this info to players before they choose to play. The it's their choice.

If they choose to continue, so be it. Ultimately it's their life, body and choice. I can't understand people not wanting to do something they love because of the risks involved. I'd rather do what I do and risk my body physically then spend my whole life wondering how good I could've been and wishing for something better.
Agreed. And most seem to be fine with the risks, especially with the money they get paid. But still, what percent of their lives are spent on the football field ? They spend so much of their lives off of the field after their retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back