From KFFL..Branch wishes to stay....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Patriots | Branch entering contract year; wants to stay
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 06:07:40 -0700

John Tomase, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots WR Deion Branch is entering a contract year in 2006. He wants and expects to remain in New England beyond this season, but he'll test the market if he must. "My job is to finish my contract regardless of whether I get an extension or not," Branch said. "Coach (Bill) Belichick has given me every opportunity to excel here. This is where I want to be, and I'm pretty sure things will work out for me and for us as a unit." All of that said, Branch can envision the contract becoming more of an issue as time passes.
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Last edited:
It's good to know that he wants to come back and it also doesn't seem like he's going to ask for a huge contract.

Is this a typo? Should this read Givens, not Branch? Didn't I read these exact words before? They sound familiar.

I will not be surprised if Branch hits FA. I doubt PATs will pay top dollar and
Branch saw his buddy Givens get absurd big bucks for a #2 WR at best so
you can bet he wants the same. Will PATs poney up? Not unless they
have to.

BB/SP must be thinking
"Where did Branch and Givens come from?. Why shouldn't we think there are
other WRs that can be found and be just as effective and not cost a big
bundle."

Now If PATs can't find such WRs then they may over spend to keep Branch.
Overspend from the point of view of the PATs.
I'm getting use to the idea of watching Branch in his last year as a Patriot.

JR4 said:
I will not be surprised if Branch hits FA. I doubt PATs will pay top dollar and
Branch saw his buddy Givens get absurd big bucks for a #2 WR at best so
you can bet he wants the same. Will PATs poney up? Not unless they
have to.

BB/SP must be thinking
"Where did Branch and Givens come from?. Why shouldn't we think there are
other WRs that can be found and be just as effective and not cost a big
bundle."

Now If PATs can't find such WRs then they may over spend to keep Branch.
Overspend from the point of view of the PATs.
I'm getting use to the idea of watching Branch in his last year as a Patriot.

I think Branch as a #1 is underrated. He is an awesome player with uncanny ability to get open and accelerate coming out of his cuts. He deserves the money that Givens did not. Patriots will pay him - mark my words.

fgssand said:
He deserves the money that Givens did not. Patriots will pay him - mark my words.
Patriots are not known for paying players what they deserve on the open market. Patriots are known for paying a player what he is worth to THEM. If the money spent elsewhere would give the Pats a better shot at winning, then that is where the money will go.

In the Pats offense, having one great WR and 4 average ones makes it weaker. Pats spread the ball, and having five good WRs is better that one great, 4 average, which is what you can buy for the same total $$$.

spacecrime said:
Patriots are not known for paying players what they deserve on the open market. Patriots are known for paying a player what he is worth to THEM. If the money spent elsewhere would give the Pats a better shot at winning, then that is where the money will go.

In the Pats offense, having one great WR and 4 average ones makes it weaker. Pats spread the ball, and having five good WRs is better that one great, 4 average, which is what you can buy for the same total $$$.

"Patriots are known for paying a player what he is worth to THEM." Very true statement!! That is the Patriot Model....and the formula is a proven success.

I do think Branch will be valued by the Patriots high enough to re-sign him long term.

"

Branch did have a mediocre season and didn't make the big plays like he did previously. He kinda played soft in my opinion. When he is playing aggressively he is very underated.

spacecrime said:
Is this a typo? Should this read Givens, not Branch? Didn't I read these exact words before? They sound familiar.

No kidding, this is not good news. It is old news. KFFL has a Pats form letter they just plug a new Pat's name into.

NEM said:
Drew Bledsoe said he wanted to retire as a Patriot. I believe Ty Law said the same thing. Mybe even Willie. BUT, MONEY STILL TALKS, Loyalty does not.
How about Woody...?? We shall see what happens..I HOPE they keep him..we shall see.

NEM said:
Drew Bledsoe said he wanted to retire as a Patriot. I believe Ty Law said the same thing. Mybe even Willie. BUT, MONEY STILL TALKS, Loyalty does not.
Hah.. Willie mentioned it like three days before signing with the Brownies.

Tomase's piece is well worth the read in it's entirety. It was a lengthy and wide ranging interview and Branch was pretty frank about his own contract situation and performance.

"Minus Givens, Branch wonders what kind of attention he’ll receive from opposing defenses.

“I saw a lot of double teams in college,†Branch said. “But I never understood the meaning of the term until last year. Then I really understood the meaning of a defense taking someone completely out of a game.â€

Specifically, Branch points to a 41-17 loss to the Chargers on Oct. 2. Facing an assortment of double and triple coverage, he caught one pass.

“That game really opened my eyes,†Branch said. “It wasn’t even double coverage. It was more like a triangle they were running on me with the safety, corner and a linebacker. It was like a box, and I was in the middle. That was a real fun game, let me tell you.â€

And they ended the interview on this comical yet chilling note:

“A guy like Richard is going to take everything,†he added with a laugh. “Hopefully when they’re done with him, there’s maybe a little something left for me.â€

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=133998&format=&page=1

NEM said:
Two words:

Tedy Bruschi.

MoLewisrocks said:
Tomase's piece is well worth the read in it's entirety. It was a lengthy and wide ranging interview and Branch was pretty frank about his own contract situation and performance.

"Minus Givens, Branch wonders what kind of attention he’ll receive from opposing defenses.

“I saw a lot of double teams in college,” Branch said. “But I never understood the meaning of the term until last year. Then I really understood the meaning of a defense taking someone completely out of a game.”

Specifically, Branch points to a 41-17 loss to the Chargers on Oct. 2. Facing an assortment of double and triple coverage, he caught one pass.

“That game really opened my eyes,” Branch said. “It wasn’t even double coverage. It was more like a triangle they were running on me with the safety, corner and a linebacker. It was like a box, and I was in the middle. That was a real fun game, let me tell you.”

And they ended the interview on this comical yet chilling note:

“A guy like Richard is going to take everything,” he added with a laugh. “Hopefully when they’re done with him, there’s maybe a little something left for me.”

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=133998&format=&page=1
A valid concern, Givens went a long way to take pressure off Deion with his play, if Tennessee hadn't valued him just that much more then NE did, he'd be here, since I believe NE was competative with Houston. Still, looking at this draft, I see 3-4 players in the middle to late rounds who might eventually fill Given's role.

Edit: Excellent read, take Mo' advice folks!

Last edited:
Branch can't command #1 money on the open market (he knows this and so does BB) and he's obviously a perfect fit for NE's passing system. I think they'll renegotiate to retain him and pay him more in line with a good #2 receiver elsewhere which is obviously still north of what he's due to receive this season.

That leaves plenty of room for Sey's raise and another chunk for the draft and the "injured reserve fund."

The pundits don't understand "the plan," but these are the same people that think you're supposed to spend all your money in FA (see: Clayton, John).

Sorta recall David Givens saying almost verbatim the same things. Not saying Branch is Givens but............... It is what it is.

There was a lot of talk about not being able to pay Givens because of having to pay Branch more. They will still have to pay him more to keep him, IMO. They just won't have to pay the #2. Branch would receive #1 pay from someone.

Box_O_Rocks said:
A valid concern, Givens went a long way to take pressure off Deion with his play, if Tennessee hadn't valued him just that much more then NE did, he'd be here, since I believe NE was competative with Houston. Still, looking at this draft, I see 3-4 players in the middle to late rounds who might eventually fill Given's role.

Edit: Excellent read, take Mo' advice folks!
I really think/hope Reche Caldwell is a good enough player that he can step up and be more valuable to us than even Givens was. He really is a talented player that has shown flashes, if he can put it all together we got a steal. Plus, like you said Box the draft picks should help relieve even more pressure from Branch. Caldwell + rookie(s) > Givens...hopefully.

Feep_FLA said:
Sorta recall David Givens saying almost verbatim the same things. Not saying Branch is Givens but............... It is what it is.
Last year or even the latter part of 04, I think all Patriot fans knew that Givens would not be here when he was a FA. I get a different vibe from Branch.

Almost every player that has gone has said the same thing. Of course he hopes and expects that the patriots will give him close to the best deal. What is he supposed to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back