PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Linebacker Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are 2 LB's from having a pretty good linebacking corps. I think we need a fast, young stud who I hope we will get in the draft. But I also think we DESPERATELY need someone to fill the Ted Johnson role. We need a reasonably well rounded, big RUN STUFFING beast in the middle like Ted Johnson was. That is what our defense has been desperately missing the past few years. My question is what free agents fit that bill?

This year there seems to be quality and quantity in free agency for the OLB position, but it looks like there are almost no ILB free agents worth picking up right now. Bruschi was probably the best ILB available this year. As far as I know, that leaves just Mark Simoneau of the Saints and Randall Godfrey of the Redskins as the only ILB who got much playing time last year. Jeremiah Trotter of the Bucs is available but he is such a libility against the pass he hardly saw any playing time last year.

Guys, Clark Haggans plays OLB on the traditional weak side and the only times I recall him lining up in the inside is when they're in a nickle or dime and Haggans is blitzing out of stunts up the gut.

As an OLB, he's no Vrabel. Haggans is a step faster, but Vrabel's far more consistent, obviously has more size and power and is far better in his technique. No way Haggans is able to beat out AD on the outside so basically, we'd have to move AD inside and replace him on the outside with a guy who's not nearly as good. He's no Colvin and I just don't recall him having done much against the Pats since the Halloween '04 game.

Now, Farrior is a guy I'd love to have from the Steelers, but unfortunately, he's locked up for a few more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST