PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agency Phase One For Defense

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
FRANCHISE/TENDER/EXTEND
Jackson

EXTEND OR WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE SEASON STARTS ( I suspect that none will be re-signed)

DL Davis
LB Hightower
LB Bentley
LB Collins
S McCourty
ST King

If the youngsters can step up next year, there's a lot of cap to be recaptured here.

If the youngsters can step up next year, there's a lot of cap to be recaptured here.
Focus on another penetrating DT to Match up with Barmore.
Speed at every linebacker position.
Chase Winovich, would be nice to see him make the leap he has the measurables needed to succeed in the NFL.
I would let JC walk and focus on the next undrafted DB.
If you are a DB undrafted rookie should be fighting to sign with the Patriots.
We get unpaid DBs paid.

Yes, Belichick can count on youngsters stepping up and the effect on the current cap would be zero, instead of the sizable amount Belichick will likely spend to replace these players.

Of course, can take Chris's position and simply sign 2 UDFA's to play CB and safety.
=============
I see a major spend of resources on defensive backs: a first round draft pick and high-level free agent. And even this is likely to result in a markedly weaker secondary. The most likely approach is to sign a top corner and a first round corner (and move Mills to safety). Even then, I would expect a lower level safety to be signed in free agency.

"Obviously", one solution is simply to franchise Jackson and draft also draft a corner.

JC may get tagged, but then traded. I'd be shocked if Bill gave him the money he's looking for as there are too many holes on both sides of the ball.

Need a DT that is good against the run.

Need a talented MLB.

Wouldn't mind going back to a 4-3. Easier to find players in FA/draft as opposed to Bill's outdated 2 gap 3-4.

DL Davis, LB Hightower , LB Bentley, LB Collins, S McCourty, ST King - let them all walk.

Last edited:
FRANCHISE/TENDER/EXTEND
Jackson

EXTEND OR WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE SEASON STARTS ( I suspect that none will be re-signed)

DL Davis
LB Hightower
LB Bentley
LB Collins
S McCourty
ST King

If the Pats want to avoid a 6..45M hit to the cap, they NEED to rework McCourty's contract NOW. Otherwise, those last 2 years are accelerating and hitting this year whether or not he's on the roster.

The only one you listed that matters is Jackson on defense.

JC may get tagged, but then traded. I'd be shocked if Bill gave him the money he's looking for as there are two many holes on both sides of the ball.

Need a talented MLB.

Wouldn't mind going back to a 4-3. Easier to find players in FA/draft as opposed to Bill's outdated 2 gap 3-4.

DL Davis, LB Hightower , LB Bentley, LB Collins, S McCourty, ST King - let them all walk.
We haven’t played a 2gap 34 in at least 6 years.

JC may get tagged, but then traded. I'd be shocked if Bill gave him the money he's looking for as there are two many holes on both sides of the ball.

Need a talented MLB.

Let Van Noy walk too.
I'd like to see Leo Chenal get drafted for our MLB spot and let all of the young untested LBs battle it out for OLB snaps.

Let Van Noy walk too.
I'd like to see Leo Chenal get drafted for our MLB spot and let all of the young untested LBs battle it out for OLB snaps.

When the Pats shifted to the NICKLE as their primary, they typically use 2 LBs who are more ILB than OLB. They use a 4-2-5. They use 2 DTs, 2 EDGE players, and 2 LBs. They'll use Dugger and Phillips as guys who would move down into the box or into coverage as needed.

They need LBs who can go sideline to sideline while also having an eye for coverage. Hopefully McMillan makes a full recovery and can be one of the guys.. It will be interesting to see what McGrone, Perkins and Jennings do though I don't have high hopes for Jennings..

Next season looks to be a very painful one for the defense unless some of the young bucks step up and perform. Raekwon coming back to the way he looked before he got injured (according to reports) would be fantastic. I just don’t see how they can afford JC. If they can tag him and trade him instead of letting him walk away for nothing would be amazing. Other than that, the rest have to walk…..unless you can get McCourty back on a restructured deal to lower that accelerated hit and help the transition for Bledsoe or whomever else they have in mind. Cut KVN, Guy, Anderson, Tavai and Cody Davis. Could we extend Jones 1-2 years to free up some money?

FRANCHISE/TENDER/EXTEND
Jackson

DL Davis
LB Hightower
LB Bentley
LB Collins
S McCourty
ST King
Do not sign

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents