PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Franchise tag could be coming for Wes Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhere between $7-9M+ lies the truth. He's not worth prototype #1 money because of the nature of his game. He's ultra productive but he's not a game changer so much as a chain mover (although he moves them less of late). Teams do still have to game plan around him and he completes roughly 70% of his targets wherever they may fall. If he or his agents want top 5 money (5/$50) they're dreamin due to size, skillset and age. If they want top ten money (5/$42) there is a deal to be made.

This makes no sense to me.
It is exceedingly clear that Welker is one of a kind. There is no way we can replace him with anywhere near as effective a player in his role.
He gets trashed as not a prototype receiver yet just had the 15th most productive season by a WR in NFL HISTORY. C Johnson had more yards than him this year, A Johnson had more once in his life and no other active reciever has ever had a season with that many yards.
Jerry Rice and Randy Moss only had more yards once in their career and only 12 men in history had 1 better season ,and only one (M Harrison) had 2.

So if Welker is downgraded as not a 'real weapon' and can't produce like those guys he must be 50 times better than any slot reciever.
Our offense revolves around Welker. Since he is irreplacable letting him goes means changing the offense.
So your post had valued changing the offense at 1.6 million of cap space.
That makes no sense to me.
I am all for saving as much as can be on every contract, but there isn't a number that anyone else would be willing to pay for Welker that we shouldn't gladly match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere between $7-9M+ lies the truth. He's not worth prototype #1 money because of the nature of his game. He's ultra productive but he's not a game changer so much as a chain mover (although he moves them less of late). Teams do still have to game plan around him and he completes roughly 70% of his targets wherever they may fall. If he or his agents want top 5 money (5/$50) they're dreamin due to size, skillset and age. If they want top ten money (5/$42) there is a deal to be made.
This makes no sense to me.
It is exceedingly clear that Welker is one of a kind. There is no way we can replace him with anywhere near as effective a player in his role.
He gets trashed as not a prototype receiver yet just had the 15th most productive season by a WR in NFL HISTORY. C Johnson had more yards than him this year, A Johnson had more once in his life and no other active reciever has ever had a season with that many yards.
Jerry Rice and Randy Moss only had more yards once in their career and only 12 men in history had 1 better season ,and only one (M Harrison) had 2.

So if Welker is downgraded as not a 'real weapon' and can't produce like those guys he must be 50 times better than any slot reciever.
Our offense revolves around Welker. Since he is irreplacable letting him goes means changing the offense.So your post had valued changing the offense at 1.6 million of cap space.
That makes no sense to me.
I am all for saving as much as can be on every contract, but there isn't a number that anyone else would be willing to pay for Welker that we shouldn't gladly match.

He is not irreplaceable. We won 3 SB's before Welker showed up in town. Yea, a guy named Troy Brown had 3 pretty good years

Comparing Rice and Moss, hands down the two GREATEST impact receivers in the history of the game to Welker is assinine, with all due respect. The NFL Rice and Moss played prime years in is quite different since 2006 after rule changes, in which Welker has played

Welker benefits from the fact the rest of the WR corps on the Patriots has been one big pile of horse in in terms of depth or quality. When Moss was here it was Wlker and Moss. Now Gronk and Moss. If Welker was the be all end all, BB would not have been drafting Chad Jackson, Tate, Price, Slater, Stinko, bring back Branch.

He's been a good player, just like Troy Brown was a good 8th round pick who had years of 101, 97, 82 catches from slot position. He benefits from the fact Brady can trust him with the underneath stuff since before this year we had garbage for TE's and Welker was the only option, and we've given up on RB catching balls out of the backfield.

Welker at anything over 6mill aint happening. He is what folks would say a SYSTEM generated player. First was Troy Brown, then came Welker. A Slot receiver is Brady's comfort zone since Pats do not focus on outside WR speed or deepball. They prefer to have the surehanded slot receiver and take the 5-8yard dumpoffs all day long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welker at anything over 6mill aint happening. He is what folks would say a SYSTEM generated player. First was Troy Brown, then came Welker. A Slot receiver is Brady's comfort zone since Pats do not focus on outside WR speed or deepball. They prefer to have the surehanded slot receiver and take the 5-8yard dumpoffs all day long.

He's not a "system" player anymore than any other WR.

With the cr*pfest that is Gus Frerotte, Joey Harrington, and Daunte Culpepper throwing him the ball in 2006 he still led the LOLphins with 67 receptions for 687 yards, and that was before they realized that he was essentially uncoverable in single coverage.

He is not irreplaceable. We won 3 SB's before Welker showed up in town. Yea, a guy named Troy Brown had 3 pretty good years
He is irreplacable in this offense.

Comparing Rice and Moss, hands down the two GREATEST impact receivers in the history of the game to Welker is assinine, with all due respect.
I didnt compare them, I stated that each exceeded the production Wes Welker put up this year one time in their career.

The NFL Rice and Moss played prime years in is quite different since 2006 after rule changes, in which Welker has played
Moss retired THIS YEAR.

Welker benefits from the fact the rest of the WR corps on the Patriots has been one big pile of horse in in terms of depth or quality.
Wait. Welker had the 15th most recieving yards in NFL history and the 4th most catches because his team sucks, not because he can play?
His team also blew away all records for TEs.

When Moss was here it was Wlker and Moss.
And Gaffney and Stallworth....

Now Gronk and Moss. If Welker was the be all end all, BB would not have been drafting Chad Jackson, Tate, Price, Slater, Stinko, bring back Branch.
First your argument was that Welker only catches passes because the rest of the team sucks. Now you are arguing that he can't be good because BB drafts other WRs too.
You are typing diarrhea.

He's been a good player, just like Troy Brown was a good 8th round pick who had years of 101, 97, 82 catches from slot position. He benefits from the fact Brady can trust him with the underneath stuff since before this year we had garbage for TE's and Welker was the only option, and we've given up on RB catching balls out of the backfield.
More diarrhea.

Welker at anything over 6mill aint happening. He is what folks would say a SYSTEM generated player.
Welker had 1569 recieving yards. Your statement is moronic.

First was Troy Brown, then came Welker. A Slot receiver is Brady's comfort zone since Pats do not focus on outside WR speed or deepball. They prefer to have the surehanded slot receiver and take the 5-8yard dumpoffs all day long.
I don't care what he is doing, when he gets 1569 yards, he earns them and he is a weapon.

I don't think BB will put the franchise tag on Welker. He puts a value on players and 9 Million even for one year is to much. I think he will let Welker test the open market and take his chances.

I don't think BB will put the franchise tag on Welker. He puts a value on players and 9 Million even for one year is to much. I think he will let Welker test the open market and take his chances.

Again, the FTF (Franchise Tag Fallacy) rears its ugly head. To wit:

The use of the franchise tender (or an RFA tender) does not prohibit a team from negotiating a long-term deal.

No Welker would mean the attention resorts to Gronk who will be doubled and will make it tough on him to repeat 2011.

Unless we have someone who replaces the abilities of Wes (not likely) ...not very smart to let him walk as the whole offense would take a serious fall.

Garcon is a dropped pass waiting to happen, and we all know how much Brady loves non-core receivers who drop the ball].

Welker led the league in dropped passes in 2010 and Brady still thought that he was swell. Garçon is a 26 year-old athletic freak who came from a division 3 school. He just had the best year of his young career without his franchise QB throwing to him. He is not just a JAG. He can be a core receiver. He has dropped some big passes in prior years but wasnt in the top 25 in dropped passes in 2011.

Thank you very much love Garson my self.:cool:

Earned it?

Some posts suggests Welker should get paid because he has "earned it". If there's one thing I'm sure of about the Pats approach, it's that players don't get paid based on what they did in prior years, but get paid based on what they are expected to earn in future years.

Welker's 1500 yards at whatever he was making was a steal. In 3 years, Welker's 900 yards for $8 Million would be anything but a steal. I just don't see him getting a HUGE deal, regardless of his yardage total last year. Better to let him go 1 year to early than 1 year too late, right?

Sign Lloyd. Then sign Moss at the vet minimum. Then draft a WR. We would have all 3 for less than Welker will demand.

I really don't see another team signing Welker for HUGE money anyway.

Again, the FTF (Franchise Tag Fallacy) rears its ugly head. To wit:

So if we franchise Welker, don't sign him to a long term deal, we can back out of paying him 9 Million?

So if we franchise Welker, don't sign him to a long term deal, we can back out of paying him 9 Million?

If Welker doesnt sign the franchise tag, the Pats can rescind the tag at anytime not owing the 9 mil. Welker would be free to walk if no new contract was in place.

If Welker signs the tag and a deal cannot be consummated, NE can trade Welker. Cassel signed his franchise tag and NE did not owe him the 14 mil because he was traded.

The whole premise of tagging Welker is to protect the Pats interest in terms of his value on the open market and to buy time to negoaiate. A long term deal for Welker is preferable, but if demands are unreasonable (I believe they wont be) Welker wont simply walk away without the Pats being compensated.

If Welker doesnt sign the franchise tag, the Pats can rescind the tag at anytime not owing the 9 mil. Welker would be free to walk if no new contract was in place.

If Welker signs the tag and a deal cannot be consummated, NE can trade Welker. Cassel signed his franchise tag and NE did not owe him the 14 mil because he was traded.

The whole premise of tagging Welker is to protect the Pats interest in terms of his value on the open market and to buy time to negoaiate. A long term deal for Welker is preferable, but if demands are unreasonable (I believe they wont be) Welker wont simply walk away without the Pats being compensated.

Thanks for the explanation. Lets hope the hammer out a fair deal.

Who cares about south welker. He would just drop the tag if they play it on him

On a serious note...I think the pats should let him walk like they did branch a while ago. The should sign someone who bring more speed to position.

Who cares about south welker. He would just drop the tag if they play it on him

On a serious note...I think the pats should let him walk like they did branch a while ago. The should sign someone who bring more speed to position.

The Pats didn't let Branch walk. He held out and, for all practical purposes, FORCED the Pats to trade him.

Moreover: what makes Welker so important is not his top-end speed, but rather his acceleration in the underneath routes.

Finally, the problem is that Welker is not a money-first guy. If he were, he easily could have held out for a new deal after even just the 2008 season. So, if the Pats let Welker walk, he'll likely end up on another contending team, and that could prove disastrous for NE.

Last edited:
I cant believe this guy Gresh gets paid to cover sports. He made the argument that since welker dropped that ball he should get frachise tagged opposed to a long term deal. Saying that he needs to prove himself now. Are you kidding me??????hahahaha Franchise him or not but what the hell would one fluke play have to do with that decision. What a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes