PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fox Sports Mike Rosenberg: Goodell is letting the Patriots off too easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
who is this nerd? I have never heard of him

Some troll. I imagine he will be banned by this time tomorrow.

Don't be naive. Every team steals signals one way of another. It's been written about, and admitted in many interviews. Do you live under a rock?

I thought the NFL didn't care if you steal signals. So why wouldn't they admit it. Haha. The NFL isn't concerned about signals being stolen, they just don't want other teams videotaping the asses of opposing teams players. Cause they don't care that you videotape the signals, they just want to ensure you don't videotape their asses.

Ah I just can't stop. You guys are so ridiculous. Illegal taping of what? The f-in signals. What in the hell are you talking about? And why was the taping illegal, cause they don't want you stealing signals. It's all about the integrity of the game.

If they were taping anygoddamnthing - the cheerleaders, your dumbass in the stands, the hot dog vendor, or Chad Pennington's flaccid arm - it would have been in violation of the rule. The rule is there to prevent real "espionage." Stealing signals is, and always has been, legal. That is not why the Patriots were fined and docked a pick.

Ah I just can't stop. You guys are so ridiculous. Illegal taping of what? The f-in signals. What in the hell are you talking about? And why was the taping illegal, cause they don't want you stealing signals. It's all about the integrity of the game.

Under the letter of the rule you're right. But let's not kid ourselves. This has been going on for decades. The league only started enforcing the rule 2 years ago. What they don't want is teams doing it so blatantly out in the open that they get caught. Where were the cries about integrity when Jimmy Johnson was doing this almost 2 decades ago? This was about seizing an opportunity to bring down the most despised head coach in sports.

Last edited:

Your a moron, you can steal signals, most teams do, you just cant tape them in the manner the Pats did, they thought they could because they werent used the day of the game but goodell had another interpretation.

If they were taping anygoddamnthing - the cheerleaders, your dumbass in the stands, the hot dog vendor, or Chad Pennington's flaccid arm - it would have been in violation of the rule. The rule is there to prevent real "espionage." Stealing signals is, and always has been, legal. That is not why the Patriots were fined and docked a pick.

Not true, you don't know what you're talking about. Teams are allowed to tape during the games, just not tape the opposing teams sidelines. One with common sense would think that this is so they don't tape the opposing teams signals. As one of the other posters said, get your facts straight.

Hey Scottso, Think about this: Why do coaches from all the other teams playing the Jets cover their mouths with their clipoards? Watch. I'll bet they do it every time they play the Jets this year too. Sorry to shatter your goody two shoes fantacy world, but signal stealing is part of the Jets game.

So singling out the Jets isn't fair is it? You mean all teams take measures to see that their opponents don't steal their signals ? Wait I thought the Patriots were the only ones that did that.

Last edited:
You can't tell me with a straight face that ANY other team found guilty of this same incident would have received this much media attention or that the punishment would be nearly as severe.

Not true, you don't know what you're talking about. Teams are allowed to tape during the games, just not tape the opposing teams sidelines. One with common sense would think that this is so they don't tape the opposing teams signals. As one of the other posters said, get your facts straight.

Reiss said:
In the NFL's operations manual, it states that "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." Furthermore, all video shooting locations for coaching purposes "must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."
In a memo to NFL head coaches and general managers on Sept. 6, 2006, NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson wrote: "Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."
In the league's Constitution & Bylaws, it reads: "Any use by any club at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which such club is a participant, of any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping, or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game."

The only reason the taping was illegal is because it was considered accessible to the staff during the game but all of the evidence we have now shows that the Patriots weren't using it in game. If they had been doing it somewhere else, what they did would have been legal.

Link

Last edited:
Hey Scottso, Think about this: Why do coaches from all the other teams playing the Jets cover their mouths with their clipoards? Watch. I'll bet they do it every time they play the Jets this year too. Sorry to shatter your goody two shoes fantacy world, but signal stealing is part of the Jets game.

So singling out the Jets isn't fair is it? You mean all teams take measures to see that their opponents don't steal their signals ? Wait I thought the Patriots were the only ones that did that.

First of all, that's not a signal. Thats the coach calling the play into the quarterback. Thats verbal, and it is done so that the opposing team cannot read the lips of that coach calling in the play. Maybe it has been tried in the past by teams, and is probably some paranoia as well. From everything I read, the Walsh tapes showed the signal, the play, and the time on the scoreboard. Now, why is this? I can only think of one logical explanation, and that is so that when the Patriots saw a signal, they knew what play was coming. Call me naive, but I think they did it so they knew what play was coming. Now is that fair, for the Patriots to know what play is coming?

The only reason the taping was illegal is because it was considered accessible to the staff during the game but all of the evidence we have now shows that the Patriots weren't using it in game. If they had been doing it somewhere else, what they did would have been legal.

Link

Meaning you can only tape from the endzones, which is what the Jets did. Cause they followed the rules and were only taping the plays for coaching purposes. I mean this is so ridiculous, the Pats blatantly violated the rules to tape signals so they knew what plays would be coming before they came. I don't think there is any disputing that the NFL doesn't want a team to know what play the other team is calling.

Meaning you can only tape from the endzones, which is what the Jets did. Cause they followed the rules and were only taping the plays for coaching purposes. I mean this is so ridiculous, the Pats blatantly violated the rules to tape signals so they knew what plays would be coming before they came. I don't think there is any disputing that the NFL doesn't want a team to know what play the other team is calling.

The tapes were EDITED hello! Therefore they couldn't have been used during a game.

If that were the case, the NFL would have a rule that prohibits the stealing of signals. Do me a favor and find that rule.

The taping from the endzone is not legal if the cameraman is still accessible, in-game, to the coaching staff. The information provided by your Jets has been inconsistent and they or the Patriots are lying, but I don't have enough information to determine whether or not what they were doing was legal.

Your focus incorrectly remains on the contents of the tape which has absolutely nothing to do with the problem. The location of the taping is the problem.

You've obviously made up your mind in ignorance, without rational thinking, and with a clear bias. No amount of fact will further change your stance.

One of the things I always find amusing with this, is this dude is saying BB should be suspended and that he was left off easy... He got fined $500,000 grand if I remember correctly! A half a million dollars! That is getting let off easy? Damn.

No, taping from the endzones violates the same rule the Pats violated. READ THE RULE.

While you're chewing on that, explain how the Pats broke down and deciphered the film, all in a 12-minute halftime, mind you...without any video equipment.

While you're chewing on that, explain how the Pats broke down and deciphered the film, all in a 12-minute halftime, mind you...without any video equipment.

I'm not saying the Pats broke the film down at halftime. Oh my god. Will one of you answer why the Pats filmed opposing teams during games? Because they used that knowledge gained from those tapes the next time they played that team. This is so stupid. Every team has hundreds of plays, do you really think they change them every week. Somebody just be a man and say why the Pats taped signals, please.

Now you just proved you're making this up as you go along. Please show me a link or any other reference where it is against NFL by-laws, or a memo was sent out, that you cannot tape the opposing team sidelines. Are cameramen supposed to shut off the video if a player they are taping goes out of bounds?!!

First of all, that's not a signal. Thats the coach calling the play into the quarterback. Thats verbal, and it is done so that the opposing team cannot read the lips of that coach calling in the play. Maybe it has been tried in the past by teams, and is probably some paranoia as well. From everything I read, the Walsh tapes showed the signal, the play, and the time on the scoreboard. Now, why is this? I can only think of one logical explanation, and that is so that when the Patriots saw a signal, they knew what play was coming. Call me naive, but I think they did it so they knew what play was coming. Now is that fair, for the Patriots to know what play is coming?

Even better Scottso. So stealing a verbal play that's called in is not as bad as a hand signal calling a play in?? I fail to see a difference.

I understand playing the Jets is akin to playing the New York Morons, but with Mangini who learned his coaching from the signal stealing Patriots, and Herm Edwards so aware of the taping that he smiled and waved to the cameras, you'ld think that they just might change up their signals from time to time.

This is the most over-blown thing ever in sports

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes