PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fox Sports Mike Rosenberg: Goodell is letting the Patriots off too easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The taping from the endzone is not legal if the cameraman is still accessible, in-game, to the coaching staff.

Your contradicting your buddy fixit, so you're allowed to tape from the endzones as long as the coaches don't see the tape. Makes sense to me, this would seem like a coaching purpose. Break down the plays, tendencies, etc. Alot diffierent than knowing exactly what plays are coming. Come on guys, you're calling me biased but if the shoe was on the other foot you would be pissed that the Jets knew exactly what play was coming before it did.

yeah they were used in the next game

It's called scouting....same information can be gleaned from the all 22 tapes sent over by the NFL.

Even better Scottso. So stealing a verbal play that's called in is not as bad as a hand signal calling a play in?? I fail to see a difference.

You're right, stealing a verbal call is just as bad. The only problem is that the Patriots are the ones that have been proven to steal calls. The Jets have never been proven to steal calls. Can you please answer my question and tell me why the Pats tape other teams signals?

I'm not saying the Pats shouldn't have been punished. I just think it was as severe as it was simply because of all the media attention it got. And the reason it was given so much attention was solely because of the hatred for the Patriots specifically Bill.

I'm not saying the Pats broke the film down at halftime. Oh my god. Will one of you answer why the Pats filmed opposing teams during games? Because they used that knowledge gained from those tapes the next time they played that team. This is so stupid. Every team has hundreds of plays, do you really think they change them every week. Somebody just be a man and say why the Pats taped signals, please.
Why do NFL coaches work 20 hour days? It's the same mentality, leaving no stone unturned, trying to find a tendency. Read Education of A Coach and you get a glimpse in to the personality that drives an NFL coach to such minute details that return little or nothing on the investment of time.

I would also counter with, if they were trying to cheat, why was the camera out in the open? If it was considered such a major transgression, wouldn't the camera have been hidden? Maybe Belichick was being honest in his appraisal of the rule ("for use in the game being played")

yeah they were used in the next game

Yeah, you're right. 6 years with a camera on the sideline and not one opposing coach said one word about it. Must have been a real crime against morality huh?

Why do you bother trolling here? Is this giving you some cheap emotional high?

No dude, if you look at my history on this site I had a nice conversation with some Patriots fans about the draft and Victor Hobson. I just don't agree with you guys on this issue, and it is simple to me. Let me put it this way, and I'll repeat, I think I'm a rational guy. You saying the Patriots stealing signals wasn't cheating is the equivalent to me as a Jet fan saying Vinny Testaverde really crossed the goal line on that QB sneak. The Jets lost that game, Testaverde never came close to the goal line. But it seems if some of you were Jet fans, you would say he did.

First of all, that's not a signal. Thats the coach calling the play into the quarterback. Thats verbal, and it is done so that the opposing team cannot read the lips of that coach calling in the play. Maybe it has been tried in the past by teams, and is probably some paranoia as well. From everything I read, the Walsh tapes showed the signal, the play, and the time on the scoreboard. Now, why is this? I can only think of one logical explanation, and that is so that when the Patriots saw a signal, they knew what play was coming. Call me naive, but I think they did it so they knew what play was coming. Now is that fair, for the Patriots to know what play is coming?

what do you think the signal is ? it's the play ! if you read his lips it's the same as stealing signals, you moron.

remember, mangina was a belichick protege and while he was in ne he thought it was okay to videotape. in fact, he profited from the videotapes and got a head coaching gig (which he is failing at miserably) out of it. while in new england he never said a peep. what a hypocrite.

what do you think the signal is ? it's the play ! if you read his lips it's the same as stealing signals, you moron

Hence, the reason there Einstein, they cover their mouth. Hey, if you cover up a defensive signal, will the middle linebacker be able to still see it and know what the play is. No you moron, cause he doesn't have an earpiece in his helmet where they can speak it to him. Well he will this upcoming season, thanks to spygate.

what do you think the signal is ? it's the play ! if you read his lips it's the same as stealing signals, you moron.

remember, mangina was a belichick protege and while he was in ne he thought it was okay to videotape. in fact, he profited from the videotapes and got a head coaching gig (which he is failing at miserably) out of it. while in new england he never said a peep. what a hypocrite.

And why do you have to call him Mangina, I haven't used Bill Bellicheat or Shady Brady up to this point?

Hence, the reason there Einstein, they cover their mouth. Hey, if you cover up a defensive signal, will the middle linebacker be able to still see it and know what the play is. No you moron, cause he doesn't have an earpiece in his helmet where they can speak it to him. Well he will this upcoming season, thanks to spygate.

Inactive players sheild the coach giving the signs, using towels for example, all the time, so only the ILB or whoever relays them to the rest of the defense can see them. Hence, they know the signals are trying to be stolen. By every team in the league.

So stealing signals isn't illegal. Taping outside is illegal. That is what the Patritos did wrong.

Your contradicting your buddy fixit, so you're allowed to tape from the endzones as long as the coaches don't see the tape. Makes sense to me, this would seem like a coaching purpose. Break down the plays, tendencies, etc. Alot diffierent than knowing exactly what plays are coming. Come on guys, you're calling me biased but if the shoe was on the other foot you would be pissed that the Jets knew exactly what play was coming before it did.

What don't you get? It's perfectly legal for a team to tape signals as long as the taping is done from somewhere not accessible to the coaches. If the Patriots tapes had come from the press box there would be absolutely no problem with the tapes. None. But because they came from the sidelines (no matter the fact that they look like they were edited and used after the game) the Patriots broke a rule and were punished for that rule. That rule pertains to where they filmed and has nothing to do with what they were filming because stealing signals is not illegal! What the Patriots did is illegal, no doubt, and any Patriots fan who actually knows what the details are would not argue otherwise but most everyone in this thread is arguing against your non sequitur of an argument.

Last edited:
And why do you have to call him Mangina, I haven't used Bill Bellicheat or Shady Brady up to this point?

If the Patriots are cheaters, doesn't that mean your rat-fink bastard of a coach is a cheater too? Or do you just forgive any indescretions by your coach because he's a snitch?

The Jets blew last year and will blow this year and Eric the Rat will be fired. He will not find a job as a janitor in this league unless Al Davis is still alive.

By contrast, BB would have suitors lined up around the block if he was available, scandal or not.

Reality check: We're great. You svck. Have fun watching our "cheaters" pummel you twice this year.

Scottso, check the link:

[http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2696227]

This among other things is why Patriots fans are annoyed by all this. We know we broke a specific rule. We get that, we're not denying it. I think we're just tired of hearing about the "integrity of the game" and all this nonsense for months now when in this case above, when the Dolphins admitted to having an advantage from the tapes, the response is "That's just football" simply because there was not a rule against exactly what they did.

I think we're tired of the media ignoring it when Jimmy Johnson admits he did the exact same kind of filming as a scout, and was even told to go through the opposing teams box after games to see if they threw away any notes the team could use next time. I believe it was Dan Reeves that admitted he kept a backup QB for several years mainly because he could read lips.

Again, the exact quote from John Clayton was: "Teams are always trying to steal signs and signals off other teams. That's just football." Nobody disputed that a year ago. Nobody called for congress to look into it. Nobody talked about the integrity of the game. A year later, when we picked up signals, an admitted common practice in the NFL, in the one way that had a rule against it, we're dirty cheaters that don't deserve our Super Bowl titles.

Can you not see they hypocrisy in that?

Not true, you don't know what you're talking about. Teams are allowed to tape during the games, just not tape the opposing teams sidelines. One with common sense would think that this is so they don't tape the opposing teams signals. As one of the other posters said, get your facts straight.

Scottso, if the Patriots had taped the signals from an enclosed location like a cardboard box, and not from the sideline, it would not have been illegal. I have no idea why I'm bringing this up to you for the 7543546654346576543th time because you just don't seem to get it, but I feel as if I have to. What was illegal was the location they taped from, not the stealing of signals. Now if this had been a tape of the Rams walk-thru, A LOT different. THAT'S cheating. This was not (as we still whooped your ass after that). Location, location, location baby! Besides, if we relied so heavily on this "cheating" then maybe the Jets would have more than a handful of wins against us since '01. Face it, taping or not, we still pounded you and still will. Where did the unfair advantage go after we opened the season 16-0?

By the way, what's your stance on Joe Namath gambling on Jets games?

Scottso, if the Patriots had taped the signals from an enclosed location like a cardboard box, and not from the sideline, it would not have been illegal. I have no idea why I'm bringing this up to you for the 7543546654346576543th time because you just don't seem to get it, but I feel as if I have to. What was illegal was the location they taped from, not the stealing of signals. Now if this had been a tape of the Rams walk-thru, A LOT different. THAT'S cheating. This was not (as we still whooped your ass after that). Location, location, location baby! Besides, if we relied so heavily on this "cheating" then maybe the Jets would have more than a handful of wins against us since '01. Face it, taping or not, we still pounded you and still will. Where did the unfair advantage go after we opened the season 16-0?

By the way, what's your stance on Joe Namath gambling on Jets games?

Not cheating, you're right. They weren't cheating yet they got docked a first round draft pick. Bellicheat got fined, as well as Kraft. Yet they took the punishment and didn't say ****. Cause they wanted it to go away, if I was innocent I would be screaming my head off. And yeah you have pounded us, but the Walsh tapes prove you have been taping since 2000. The unfair advantage was all of the signals you learned about illegally taping the opposing teams since 2000. And I'm 31 years old, so I never saw Joe Namath play. But if he gambled on Jets games he should be punished, AND HE BROKE THE RULES. But anyway, we're gonna see how good a coach Bellicheat is now that the defensive signals get called into the defensive players earpiece. Hell he may be the genius, or he may be what Ted Johnson says he is, which is a cheater who gave the team signals before the game. We shall see.

who gave the team signals before the game.

He gave the team signals before the game? Doesn't this show that the tapes were not used during the game they were taped? Which according to his reasonable if agressive interpretation, it was all legal?

Further, who gives a hoot if they stole signals? They videotaped outside. This is what they did wrong. They broke this rule. They got a felony conviction for a parking ticket. It's fairly straight-forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back