PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For those of you freaking out about the Jets' running game

Status
Not open for further replies.
my bad ... meant 'our best'.

Glad to see that unlike most Jesters, you are similar to a few Jets' fans on this board who post in a mature and sensible manner. :)

Belated welcome aboard. :)

And hope you don't disappear after next Sunday. ;)

I though woody was done for the year? Man that guy is a trooper.

I hadn't thought about the big advantage the Jets have in the missing players department. We have played all or most of the season without our #1 CB, #4 CB, #1 DE, #2 DE, #4 DE, #1 RB, #1 OG, #2 OG, and Kicker, among others (all coming out of camp). The Jets have some missing players but nothing close to this.

yet another overly aggressive/digressive Pats fan ... big surprise.

Let's be honest - the Jets didn't exactly shut down an offense that was on fire - Manning and company were having a pretty mediocre night.

The Jets offense looked pretty mediocre for most of the game as well. And while I know all Jets fans are pumped up about the final drive, I think most teams are not going to kick it to the best returner on the Jets and/or let him get to the mid field in such a critical situation.

So I guess the question goes back to the Jets - do you think your Defense can play MUCH better than it did against the Colts - and do you think your offense can play MUCH better than it did against the Colts?

Because that performance from last night - forget about 45-3 - is NOT going to be good enough against the Patriots.

Last edited:
The Jets are a 1 dimensional offense with no QB..that will not win you a SB..or beat the Pats for that matter

The Jets are a 1 dimensional offense with no QB..that will not win you a SB..or beat the Pats for that matter

agreed ... however ... When Sanchez is hot ... a situation that seems to occur with the frequency of a lunar eclipse ... the Jets have a TON of weapons ...

1. Edwards
2. Holmes
3. Keller
4. Greene
5. Tomlinson
6. Cotchery
7. Smith ... when healthy

you could do worse for an arsenal ... ps ... id love to see welker in green.

Last edited:
good point .. i think McCourty is your best CB though.

He could be but we can't make that assumption yet as we don't know how or if Bodden would've improved over last year with an extra year of experience under his belt in the Pats system.

If Bodden were playing and based on his play from last year and McCourty's play this year (assuming Bodden would've improved or at least played at the same level as last year) the Pats secondary could be better than the Jets.

A scary thought considering the playmaking on this defense right now without Bodden.

If Sanchez has a 62 rating and Brady has a 109 rating next weekend, it will be a blowout. 17 of Manning's 26 attempts (12 completions) went to White, Tamme and Rhodes. On Sunday, those guys are Welker, Hernandez and Woodhead...and that doesn't even include Gronk. Instead of a 9-yard gain and a 3rd-n-1 (which they couldn't convert), this Sunday those will be 15 yard gains and move the chains. The Colts had 3 drives in the 2nd half...failed 3rd-n-1, inexplicable run on 3rd-n-7 and horrible play call on 3rd-n-6 on the last drive...all FGs. On Sunday, those drives will be TDs. On the Jets 2 TD drives, it took them 27 plays and 12 first downs to gain 150 yards. Those are turnovers and FG attempts on Sunday.

The Jets can obviously win this Sunday but their effort and execution will need to be lightyears better than it was yesterday. The problem for them is:
a) I don't think they recognize their execution yesterday was terrible
b) Drew Coleman, Dwight Lowery and Eric Smith are still their top cover options beyond Revis/Cromartie...and the Pats will force Cromartie to change direction and tackle

As for the Jets running game, it only works when the pace is on target for a 17-20 point winning score. Once it becomes clear the Jets will need 3+ TDs or 6+ scoring drives to win, the game starts to fall on Sanchez. Sanchez hasn't had a 90 rating since before Thanksgiving. Over that same period, Brady has played 4 playoff teams and in those 4 games his low rating was 110.

agreed ... however ... When Sanchez is hot ... a situation that seems to occur with the frequency of a lunar eclipse ... the Jets have a TON of weapons ...

1. Edwards
2. Holmes
3. Keller
4. Greene
5. Tomlinson
6. Cotchery

Sanchez is streaky and I would agree that when he is hot the Jets offense has a ton of weapons however, it is not just Sanchez that is streaky it is also Edwards, Greene, Smith, and even Holmes has shown to be inconsistent catching the ball.

When Snachez is hot is when he is distributing the ball to Keller and Tomlinson is running it very well. Something that I see the Pats taking away next week with Mayo/Guyton on Keller and the DL limiting Tomlinson/Greene.

The Pats D will give up yards but they matchup VERY well against what the Jets do on O.

a) I don't think they recognize their execution yesterday was terrible

as much as i hate to admit it .. i think you hit the ball out of the park with this observation. Sanchez did say he thought he played terrible last night though.

i actually agree with this .. still hoping for a W ... but Brady is the best QB i have ever seen .. including Satan Manning. If we can pound Welker out of the game and cover ONE of the two tight ends .. we have a shot.

I don't believe in Woodhead still ...

You have to cover Branch too.

You have to cover Branch too.

Branch does not scare me very much ... he will bust one over the top ... but Welker concerns me MUCH more ... he demoralizes defenses by consistently catching 9.5 yard slants when it is 3rd and 9.

1. Edwards
2. Holmes
3. Keller
4. Greene
5. Tomlinson
6. Cotchery

Sanchez was a deer in the headlights last night and the Colts have nothing in their defensive backfield- all replacement parts and guys who showed up since November. Sanchez will not "get hot."

Branch does not scare me very much ... he will bust one over the top ... but Welker concerns me MUCH more ... he demoralizes defenses by consistently catching 9.5 yard slants when it is 3rd and 9.

It's the "whoever is open" offense - and truth be told I'm slightly surprised it's worked as well as it has (it's been helped greatly by having tall and fast TEs as options)... but it has worked well, especially against a DB designed to stop a speedy deep threat #1 WR like Moss - rather than any one of a half dozen plus receiving options.

When the Pats changed their offense by trading Moss, it created a major mis-match for a team like the Jets who devoted a ton of money (and draft picks) to assemble their secondary.

Bottom line - the Jets need to play better than they did last night or they lose. The Patriots 30+ points a game is NOT an aberrration.

If the Jets lose all they get for "winning" against the Colts is a lost 2nd round pick instead of a lost 3rd round pick.

Meanwhile Jets fans who have spent a good amount of this season declaring that the Patriots dynasty is over will have to sit back and watch as the Patriots draft 6 guys in the first three rounds to secure the dynasty for years to come.

Last edited:
It's the "whoever is open" offense - and truth be told I'm slightly surprised it's worked as well as it has (it's been helped greatly by having tall and fast TEs as options)... but it has worked well, especially against a DB designed to stop a speedy deep threat #1 WR like Moss.

THAT is the difference between Brady and Manning. Brady will throw the ball to whatever player is in the uniform that runs the route that exploits the defenses weakness. Manning apparently will audible to a run when it really matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back