PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For those Brady Bashers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
While not the usual numbers, he has had games like that every single season. I was merely pointing out his INTs for the year are on par with his career averages and are not higher than expected.

In 2003 or 2004, we never would've complained about a loss like this. We understood that once you got to December, stats deflate and the only thing that matters is the W.

If the only thing that is stopping us from being a SB contender is the QB play, then I'm going to sleep soundly at night. Brady was an MVP contender going into the Saints game & has been banged up since. He either gets healthy and plays better or he doesn't. It's probably that simple. It's not worth the hand-wringing people are doing here, and its certainly not worth criticizing Brady for, as he's playing through some pain. As Moss was & as other players are doing. These guys should be commended for their efforts.

As for the offense in general, I think the reality is that the talent on this offense is pretty front-loaded, and we don't have the depth at the receiver position we used to. It's making life more difficult for Brady. But, again, this team was a 3rd & 4 from the Super Bowl with Reche Caldwell as their #1, so if Brady plays better, they're still a contender.

Last edited:
He is the least of this team's problems.. He is taking this team on his back and playing injured... Broken Ribs, busted finger, sore shoulder and a rusty knee... Anybody that says he has regressed, needs a major wakeup call..

This Qb has heart, just because he is not lighting up the score board, like manning..

The major problem is the play calling, not Tom Brady

Tom Brady's performance is a major reason for the Patriots not playing up to (our expected) level.

- he has been much less accurate than usual
- he has been choosing to throw into coverage downfield instead of hitting open receivers in the flats
- his decision making in general has not been at the expected (normal?) level
- he's coming up small in big situations

Now, is this because of injuries? Because of poor protection? Because he doesn't have a good third receiver option? All of that plays a part, but Tom Brady has overcome a lot of problems in years past that he doesn't seem to be overcoming very well this year.

More accurate throws and better decision making by Tom Brady (i.e. playing anywhere near the level that Peyton Manning has played this year) would have made a huge difference both in the Patriot's record as well as their margin of victory.

It's because QB is by far the most important position on the field and Tom Brady is just not playing at the level we've seen so often in the past. He has not played as one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL this year. We just have to deal with that. No need to make excuses. Personally, I think that he'll come back to his previous level. I just wish it would be soon, but I'm not expecting it. Perhaps he'll make me eat my words like Brett Favre has done. :D

Today, I saw 1 trick play: a double reverse run, but welker.

Just for the record, it was a reverse.

End arounds have 1 hand-off. Reverses have 2 hand-offs (hence the name "reverse"). Double reverses have 3 hand-offs.

In 2003 or 2004, we never would've complained about a loss like this. We understood that once you got to December, stats deflate and the only thing that matters is the W.

If the only thing that is stopping us from being a SB contender is the QB play, then I'm going to sleep soundly at night. Brady was an MVP contender going into the Saints game & has been banged up since. He either gets healthy and plays better or he doesn't. It's probably that simple. It's not worth the hand-wringing people are doing here, and its certainly not worth criticizing Brady for, as he's playing through some pain. As Moss was & as other players are doing. These guys should be commended for their efforts.

As for the offense in general, I think the reality is that the talent on this offense is pretty front-loaded, and we don't have the depth at the receiver position we used to. It's making life more difficult for Brady. But, again, this team was a 3rd & 4 from the Super Bowl with Reche Caldwell as their #1, so if Brady plays better, they're still a contender.

I was with you right to the last line...

You're dead on about this team being frontloaded. Having Moss as your #1 threat is a lot different than having Caldwell. Nobody developed a blueprint for stopping the Brady to Caldwell juggernaut... Brady was always better at deciphering defenses and finding the open man than defenses were at covering 3 or 4 functional options and a running game. Brady always deserved better options, and he proved what he could do with them in 2007. Until the focus became taking him out as an alternative, and that hit a nerve. Then it became about needing elite pass protection, including Brady suffering consequences if his is inconsistent at best. And there it remains on an offense that now has only 2 legit passing options (and an inconsistent TE option largely depanding on the blocking demands vs. opponents).

I think they would love to run now on the one hand just to balance things up and give Brady some cover battling his significant injuries. But they also know if they can't somehow make the passing game work they aren't going to have a legit shot at competing beyond the division. I think that is why they targeted Moss early yesterday and then targeted Aiken, even though the ground game was working early on. They can't be one dimentional in either direction or severely limited through the air or they are going through the motions and they know it... so they keep trying to find a way to make the passing game once again more than two dimentional...or less... while still managing to just make enough plays to win a game they must win to have a shot at the second season.

Brady is not part of the problem. In fact if not for another part of the other ongoing problems <plural> he probably wouldn't be as beat up as he his AGAIN this season. Brady can't be part of the solution unless a number of guys step up CONSISTENTLY. That has happened in the past. Not so much in recent years. Having 3 or 4 guys step up on an 11 man offense isn't going to cut it against elite competition. That barely gets you by the dregs. This team is what it is talent/roster wise and the only way to make that better now is to find a way to get every player to focus and give 110% and hope the coaches can scheme around most of the glaring weaknesses (on both sides of the ball).

Those who can't grasp that will just continue to wail in vain about whomever it's easiest for them to scapegoat on a game by game or play by play basis.

Brady is not playing near the lvl he has in the past. You people are saying all these injuries may i get a link please? Also Brady is holding onto the ball way to long. You can blame alot of his sacks on the banged up oline or but Brady has no rythym and is cleary holding the ball to long. I do agree the play calling has not been anything like we have seen in the past. If you get time go back and look at how long Brady is holding onto the ball.

Brady is not playing near the lvl he has in the past. You people are saying all these injuries may i get a link please? Also Brady is holding onto the ball way to long. You can blame alot of his sacks on the banged up oline or but Brady has no rythym and is cleary holding the ball to long. I do agree the play calling has not been anything like we have seen in the past. If you get time go back and look at how long Brady is holding onto the ball.

LOL If you need a link you probably don't deserve one...as the balance of your post would seem to underscore.

Brady is not part of the problem. In fact if not for another part of the other ongoing problems <plural> he probably wouldn't be as beat up as he his AGAIN this season. Brady can't be part of the solution unless a number of guys step up CONSISTENTLY. That has happened in the past. Not so much in recent years. Having 3 or 4 guys step up on an 11 man offense isn't going to cut it against elite competition. That barely gets you by the dregs. This team is what it is talent/roster wise and the only way to make that better now is to find a way to get every player to focus and give 110% and hope the coaches can scheme around most of the glaring weaknesses (on both sides of the ball).

Those who can't grasp that will just continue to wail in vain about whomever it's easiest for them to scapegoat on a game by game or play by play basis.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying Brady is part of the problem, per se. Just that he can be the solution, if that makes sense. He overcame what was a pretty shoddy wide receiver group in 2006 and had us 12 feet from a Super Bowl game.

He's going to have to do it again this year. I know it sounds ridiculous when you have two Pro Bowl caliber wideouts on the offense - but if your #3 is not a complementary player and your offensive line yields pass rush without the blitz, the numbers game is against you.

Every year, Belichick goes into big games and shuts down the top 1 or 2 offensive weapons of another team - well, unfortunately, that logic is having its turn on the Patriots.

As for Brady, I can't pin the offensive struggles on him - not when he was playing at a high level earlier in the season and the only thing that has changed to him is his health. But I can say that he can play better going forward and he can overcome the lack of depth and one-dimensionality of this offense. A one-dimensionality that was caused by a series of events that probably no Front Office could expect - two legitimate veteran wideouts being complete busts (Galloway & Lewis) and injuries to both the rookie wideouts (Edelman & Tate).

Last edited:
it looked fairly accurate when he hit Aiken in stride and he dropped it

it looked pretty accurate when it landed in Moss's lap and the Bills were called for PI

Brady did not look bad today. Sure it was no '07 performance but I have nothing to complain about from him

Which Aiken pass are you referring to? The one where Reggie Corner pulled Aiken's arm down and the refs missed a blatant pass interference call? It's pretty bad when Gumball can get a call right...

As another respected poster explained, if you need a link, simply look at any of the injury reports going back to the Miami game on Dec.6th. Brady has shown many strengths this year, all while fighting off many obstacles. The reason he may be 'holding on to the ball' a little longer at times is because he really doesn't have many options.

Moss is often doubled, or at least not open.
Teams are focusing in on Welker, and rightfully so.
Edelman and Aiken are more of just decoys lately, and aren't a very viable option. I don't know if they aren't being targeted, or just aren't open, but regardless they aren't catching balls.
Ditto for the TE's.

When teams automatically take away your #1 right off the bat, and you really don't have a decent option at #3--that only leaves Welker. The reason you are seeing Brady hold onto the ball lately is because he has to. There are many plays that are like a game of backyard football, Brady drops back, and looks for Wes Welker, holding the ball and waiting for Welker to get open.

I suspect after seeing and knowing Moss will not be open, he trusts Welker getting open as the majority of the production. The playcalling must start to improve and become less predictable, because many times it seems as though we aren't getting enough versatility going. We'll need to involve Faulk more, the TE's Watson and Baker, and more of Edelman/Aiken to go anywhere in the playoffs IMHO.

At any rate, it doesn't have anything to do with Tom Brady. Brady isn't any of the problem, if anything he's doing everything McGyver style--with a piece of yarn and a paperclip.

"To blame" is a weird phrase.

He is playing hurt. He is playing less well than when he is not hurt. Is it his fault he's hurt? Kind of goes with the territory. QBs get hurt sometimes. Is it his fault he does not play as well hurt as healthy? Maybe some QBs are actually better when their bodies are less healthy. Hmmm. Sounds counterintuitive.

It's not Brady-bashing to say he's not performing as well as we are used to - regardless of play-calling.

I also don't know what to make of the usual play-calling critiques. I've been seeing them on here since the Pats were SB champions. Yes, yes, I'm sure this time they're right. Actually seems like the ultimate exercise in woulda shoulda coulda.

If you stipulate that the difference between a good team and a bad team in the NFL is thin; and if you stipulate that QB is the most important position on the field; and you further stipulate that our QB is playing hurt; then it stands to reason we're not the Colts or Saints this year.

We're not a steamroller. We're not a juggernaut. We're not scary. It's not because Brady's out for the year, so we can't scream about how Cassel's not Brady. We're rebuilding on D, so we can complain about those guys for a while too... but ultimately it comes down to, right now, we're not the best.

I'd relax a little, understand this is a good team with a dinged up QB and a rebuilding, young defense. I remember when the Pats were playing great D and all we could do is complain how they're all too old. Oh yeah and how we needed a tall cornerback.

The guys at the top of the organization build teams. Each year is a different iteration. This team - this 2009 team - so far is in contention, but does not (as of now) look like a SB champ. Could happen, but does not look likely.

I'm sure someone in here will be exactly right about why this team does not look like a world-beater, in retrospect, 5 years from now. I do not, however, know who it is. I am sure everybody in here will look a little bit right 5 years from now. But I don't know in which respect. Those who claim certainty always claim certainty. If their track records matched their self-confidence, they would be NFL coaches and personnel men.

I'm just contrarian I suppose. I think Brady's playing hurt, and I think Brady's playing worse, and I think that's predictable. I think the Pats' D is okay but not suffocating or dominating. They're not the '86 Bears. That doesn't make them the 08 Lions either. Maroney is not the second coming of Jim Brown, but he's not the second coming of Kijana Carter.

You guys keep slicing and dicing it, what can I say. I mean, anybody want to argue some more about whether the 4th and 2 call against the Colts was supreme confidence in the O or a supreme vote of confidence for Peyton Manning or a supreme vote of no-confidence for the Pats' own D?

Och, what am I doing. That's why this place is here. I must just be getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes