PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio: Early Season Ratings Decline Continues for NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the FSU/Miami last night. Sure seemed like a better product than the NFL. The play was better than the vast majority of NFL teams, the reffing was much better, and the game felt far less chopped up by commercials.

That's because college football has actually become a superior on-field product. Say what you will about the NCAA but at least you don't know the names of the head officials and know their tendencies like you do with the NFL referees.

That video, it's really disappointing. How does Bendover Bob and the other 31 get a pass? Don't they get Goodell is just the whipping boy? This is really really disappointing. The corrupt 32 win, and it's really sad.:(

That video, it's really disappointing. How does Bendover Bob and the other 31 get a pass? Don't they get Goodell is just the whipping boy? This is really really disappointing. The corrupt 32 win, and it's really sad.:(

A lot of people miss that point. It will be interesting to see at what point in the NFL's decline do the owners end up sacrificing Goodell in an attempt to save the sinking ship. I'll guess that, by then, it will already be too late.

That being said, I highly doubt @ReverendMaynard cares very much about the above because he's going to be tuning in on multiple TV's in his own house, with multiple games on... watching a ****load of football.

Glad to see it, even though I watched last night so I was part of the problem.

Don't worry. As a punishment, you'll be forced to re-wach the game three times. That'll teach you a lesson you won't forget, and the next time you are tempted to tune in, just remember the low level entertainment you're considering, as well as the hundreds of people that own or work for the very league who conspired to ruin your fan experience forever.

The Brady/Manning era will go down as the golden age of the NFL. We'll be looking back at that era like we do with 50's baseball.

When Brady retires the ratings will decrease further.

The Brady/Manning era will go down as the golden age of the NFL. We'll be looking back at that era like we do with 50's baseball.

When Brady retires the ratings will decrease further.

Yeah I think that might go down as one of the best era's in NFL history. But ratings will most likely ebb and flow.. New super stars will emerge and maybe we will get another great rivalry.

The real sh!t will hit the fan when the TV deal ends (IIRC around 2020) and the boys down at 354 Park ave have to announce a 20% reduction in the cap. The NFL has been sticking it to the networks for years trying to scam the last dollars out of those guys. You'd better believe that when they march into the next negotiation session it won't be pretty for the league. You'd better hope you get the Oprah channel, because that's where you might be watching the NFL down the road.

BTW- Team's that are NOT structuring contracts with this in mind are going to be in trouble, not that I'll give a **** by then.

I know why ratings have been down: terrible product. That game last night was garbage.
****ty teams are a side effect of parity. And no one wants to watch a tournament with nothing but bad teams.

I have not read through all 300+ posts, so apologies in advance if this has already been posted.

I recently heard a sports talk radio host state his views on the subject. He stated that NFL ratings historically drop every four years because people are tuning in to political shows and debates. Two NFL prime time games this year have gone head-to-head with presidential debates. The political week begins on Sunday with shows like Meet the Press. Because of that this affects Sunday games (NFL) much more than games played on Saturday (college).

The hard core NFL fan will watch no matter what. Differences in ratings are going to be a result of what casual fans do. In an election year that portion of the masses drifts away from the NFL and to politics. They will be back by the time the Super Bowl is played.

That is not to say that NFL fans in New England are not angry, disillusioned and turning off the television set once the local game finishes. I don't believe that is the case nationwide.

The real test will be in the playoffs, the Super Bowl - and most importantly, the 2017 season.

I have not read through all 300+ posts, so apologies in advance if this has already been posted.

I recently heard a sports talk radio host state his views on the subject. He stated that NFL ratings historically drop every four years because people are tuning in to political shows and debates. Two NFL prime time games this year have gone head-to-head with presidential debates. The political week begins on Sunday with shows like Meet the Press. Because of that this affects Sunday games (NFL) much more than games played on Saturday (college).

The hard core NFL fan will watch no matter what. Differences in ratings are going to be a result of what casual fans do. In an election year that portion of the masses drifts away from the NFL and to politics. They will be back by the time the Super Bowl is played.

That is not to say that NFL fans in New England are not angry, disillusioned and turning off the television set once the local game finishes. I don't believe that is the case nationwide.

The real test will be in the playoffs, the Super Bowl - and most importantly, the 2017 season.

This is true but not to the extent they have tanked. A comparison to previous election years shows there is an anomalously huge gap, and the NFL wouldn't be nervously reassuring sponsors had this been expected. We are hearing about 5-year lows, 10-year lows, and even historical lows (in the history of MNF/SNF), not the typical election dip. Problem with many radio hosts or just hosts in general is they like to opine without facts. Google already has a collection of articles on the topic, theorizing on why the NFL is getting killed, most concluding it's a variety of factors, with a main factor being the league's tarnished image and poor product.

The Omissioner speaks:
“We don’t think we’ve lost viewers, and I think when you look at ratings you have to go a little deeper than that,” Goodell said. “There’s viewers, but also how long they’re engaging for. A lot of times, people will leave a game for whatever reason, whether they’re going to go to other programming, or whether the game is less competitive. Those are all factors. As an example, on the competitive, while we’ve had very close games overall, league-wide, we haven’t had the closest games in prime time. Last year we did, and in 2014 we did, and ratings reflected that the first five weeks at record levels.”

Asked if some people are turning off the NFL because Colin Kaepernick and others are protesting during the national anthem, Goodell dismissed that idea.

“We don’t think that’s a factor and our network partners don’t either,” Goodell said.

Roger Goodell: NFL not losing viewers, but some are watching less

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents