PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio: Early Season Ratings Decline Continues for NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
There you have it, from the Ginger Baghdad Bob.

To a certain extent, he might be technically correct. In a sample size of simply me, they haven't lost me as a viewer, I just view a lot less (6 Patriots games and glimpses of one Broncos game while at a party) compared to last year (all Pats games, usually the Sunday 2nd game, and the SNF football game at the least, and the MNF and TNF football games if the matchups were compelling and I had time). I think there are a lot of people in a similar boat.

The problem is that he's a moron for not believing this to be a problem. Actually, I could have just ended the sentence after the word "moron" and have still conveyed the point....

LOOOOVE the verbal gymnastics from ole Rog here: “We don’t think we’ve lost viewers, and I think when you look at ratings you have to go a little deeper than that"...“There’s viewers, but also how long they’re engaging for."

If the viewer glances at the game, and then turns it off because of dissatisfaction with the product, then you have lost a viewer. He is no longer viewing, right? By Roger's logic, I'm still faithfully dating my first girlfriend, it's just that I haven't "engaged" with her for awhile.

I'm sure the advertisers, who are paying the NFL big bucks by way of the respective networks, are happy with his explanation that viewers will "leave the game." I hope this get thrown back in the NFL's face next time the league negotiates the television contracts.

I love that this POS is sweating it out, along with all of the owners. I've logged 0:00 in non-Pats games this season and continue my vow to not watch another non-Pats game. As much as I hate Goodell, and I really, really hate Goodell, he is just the tip of the iceberg. The league office and other owners really are petty, jealous haters and mainly loser Jets alums.

This just in, video of Goody from earlier today talking about the NFL's viewership and how he sees it:

Not only is that hilarious, but a couple posts before yours I was thinking of exactly the same thing.

Another great, similar bit from that movie: when they have to cancel their Boston concert, he says, don't worry about it, it's not a big college town...

Last edited:
I don't care what he says, after his part in deflate gate I will never trust a word that comes out of that man's mouth, even if it makes sense!
On the plus side he's definitely not making sense!

This guy...

we also know that two primetime games that saw our most dramatic decrease went straight up against two very significant debates. Another one of our primetime games was on Thursday night on NFL Network, as opposed to a network broadcast, which will always get a lower rating. There are a lot of factors to be considered. We don’t make excuses.

Roger Goodell talks about TV ratings, Las Vegas and other NFL issues

I guess we can credit him for waiting one sentence after making excuses to decree they aren't doing that.

I've been singing this song from the jump: No stars, especially at QB = low viewership.

The NFL has its loyal fanbase and then it has its casuals. I would call myself a 'tweener, but more on the casual side because when there's no Brady, there's no me watching that garbage, but anyway...

Outside of the hardcore, devoted loyals, who is really tuning in to watch

Tannehill in Miami
Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo
Fitzpatrick, and even worse Geno Smith in New York.
Star power is even worse in the NFC East.

There are no stars in the AFC/NFC South, despite the league trying to make that bust Luck into the next coming of Manning. They tried to make Newton relevant but he's just not happening. There is Drew Brees, but he's getting old and his team can't win games, though they seem to be on a streak right now, Go Saints, but whatever.

No stars in the AFC/NFC North, outside of Rodgers and Raptistburger. Outside of Steelers fans, nobody is spending Sunday nights tuning into little Ben or Antonio Brown who ain't exactly T.O when it comes to providing the entertainment factor. Rodgers might work but he fell off big time.

No stars in the AFC or NFC West, outside of Sherman, Wilson and maybe Kaepernick.

The league is lacking starpower. I said this before the season started and I'll say it again, the league will collapse without Brady. Put a Pats game on in any primetime slot, with Brady at QB and watch the ratings increase. This ratings drop has less to do with presidential debates and viewer engagement and more to do with consumer interest, and they are not interested in the new cast for NFL's new tv season. It happens to all the great shows. The new crew just don't appeal to us.

The NFL will definitely change plans this season and find a way to put Brady, instead of those sorry Steelers, in the bowl game this year. Consumers may be very interested in knowing whether Brady will get his fifth ring. The redemption story, the revenge tour and all that $$$ storyline bs they want to feed us with. I just wonder who he's going to destroy in Feb.

I've been singing this song from the jump: No stars, especially at QB = low viewership.

The NFL has its loyal fanbase and then it has its casuals. I would call myself a 'tweener, but more on the casual side because when there's no Brady, there's no me watching that garbage, but anyway...

Outside of the hardcore, devoted loyals, who is really tuning in to watch

Tannehill in Miami
Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo
Fitzpatrick, and even worse Geno Smith in New York.
Star power is even worse in the NFC East.

There are no stars in the AFC/NFC South, despite the league trying to make that bust Luck into the next coming of Manning. They tried to make Newton relevant but he's just not happening. There is Drew Brees, but he's getting old and his team can't win games, though they seem to be on a streak right now, Go Saints, but whatever.

No stars in the AFC/NFC North, outside of Rodgers and Raptistburger. Outside of Steelers fans, nobody is spending Sunday nights tuning into little Ben or Antonio Brown who ain't exactly T.O when it comes to providing the entertainment factor. Rodgers might work but he fell off big time.

No stars in the AFC or NFC West, outside of Sherman, Wilson and maybe Kaepernick.

The league is lacking starpower. I said this before the season started and I'll say it again, the league will collapse without Brady. Put a Pats game on in any primetime slot, with Brady at QB and watch the ratings increase. This ratings drop has less to do with presidential debates and viewer engagement and more to do with consumer interest, and they are not interested in the new cast for NFL's new tv season. It happens to all the great shows. The new crew just don't appeal to us.

The NFL will definitely change plans this season and find a way to put Brady, instead of those sorry Steelers, in the bowl game this year. Consumers may be very interested in knowing whether Brady will get his fifth ring. The redemption story, the revenge tour and all that $$$ storyline bs they want to feed us with. I just wonder who he's going to destroy in Feb.
I think it's both. The product is worse running off casual fans and the league has lost its credibility turning hardcore fans into casual fans.

LOOOOVE the verbal gymnastics from ole Rog here: “We don’t think we’ve lost viewers, and I think when you look at ratings you have to go a little deeper than that"...“There’s viewers, but also how long they’re engaging for."

If the viewer glances at the game, and then turns it off because of dissatisfaction with the product, then you have lost a viewer. He is no longer viewing, right? By Roger's logic, I'm still faithfully dating my first girlfriend, it's just that I haven't "engaged" with her for awhile.

"It's not that people aren't tuning in! It's that they're tuning in, seeing how badly our product sucks, and tuning out shortly afterward!"

... okay, Roger. Is that better?

Yep, that, and the related article ( The NFL Ratings Plummet Explained - The Draw Play ) and one it links to ( Why are NFL ratings down? The league's greed has finally caught up to it ) cover most of the ground.

All the Goodell era moves, starting with Thursday Night Football and then London, have done nothing but weaken the product in a vain effort to chase the almighty dollar. I don't recall anyone asking for the Thursday Night games ( especially with thier crap-tastic matchups ) and I recall many actively denouncing the London games.

Mark Cuban was right: pigs feed at the trough, hogs get slaughtered. Roger has pushed things so far beyond sustainability but he doesn't care, he gets paid tens of millions each year, all in cash.

I love the second article ( Why are NFL ratings down? The league's greed has finally caught up to it ), it's a great read. It ends with:
Through all this, NFL owners still have the gall to wonder, “What’s wrong with our viewers?”

The answer is that we finally wised up.

In my cases I've used a few "dodges" like using a DVR to skip over the endless commercials, but even that ends up not working if the on-field product just isn't worth the time to watch it.

The article points out that in the future the NFL wants even more of the same. They've scheduled the Mexico game. We hear they're asking the players for an 18 game season. They are totally incapable of seeing how all this stuff is just killing the game.

Hard to watch with all the commercials. I guess they don't care since it means more beer sales at the bar. Still shorter than a baseball game though. But the breaks in the action are hard to handle. I'm actually slowly coming over to the soccer side. Games are MAX about 2-hours and there are minimal breaks for commercials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back