PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio: Early Season Ratings Decline Continues for NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on topic, if I may...

Here's a PFT article discussing the possible reasons for the downturn. Unfortunately, I really don't believe it has anything to do with Framegate at all. After all, why wouldn't the ratings have fallen off last year (that's when I stopped watching or caring)? Sure, Brady got out of the suspension (temporarily), but that didn't really change the NFL's actions. They still did all that lying, framing, and over-punishing, it was a federal judge who tried to restore some fairness to the situation.

Judging by the number of people who tune in to the Olympics each year it's on, I'm going with the national anthem protests. A lot of people will tune in to almost any crap on TV, so long as it promotes the USA. Mess with that at your peril.

Why is TV viewership down?
I think he left out what I consider one of the biggest reasons: DFS has fallen off a cliff from where it was a year ago at this time. The league loves DFS (legalized gambling) because it generates interest in games. People watch lousy teams and watch games to the end when they have financial stakes involved.

Shameless bump I guess, searched "flex-schedule" and this thread came up first. Didn't read it all but I'm curious. I was expecting the Pats/Browns game to be flexed to prime time and looked it up. The rules state that the decision must be made 12 days prior, this past Tuesday. What are the thoughts here regarding this opportunity to boost ratings?
Brady's return is a great storyline but that doesn't mean it will be an exciting game (for anyone outside NE). Can't blame them for going with NYG-GB.

Brady's return is a great storyline but that doesn't mean it will be an exciting game (for anyone outside NE). Can't blame them for going with NYG-GB.
Thanks, and for the record, I read the schedule wrong and didn't see it was Giants/Packers.

Didn't watch either one. Don't miss SNF, MNF or NFL Thurs night. Cancelled NFL channel.
Enjoying the Patriots' season. I'll be watching Sunday at 1PM.

One of the things that I noticed when I dumped MLB many years ago (I got to the point where I felt like they were playing me for a fool) was that I didn't really miss it, the Red Sox included. I found other ways to spend my time and felt better about myself for stepping away.

One of the things that I noticed when I dumped MLB many years ago (I got to the point where I felt like they were playing me for a fool) was that I didn't really miss it, the Red Sox included. I found other ways to spend my time and felt better about myself for stepping away.

the game also had changed, before it was about 2-2.5 hours, now its a marathon, 3+ hours, a lot of dead time, between ball scratching and pitches, Became unbearable to watch at home, and boring as **** going to the games (and never mind the outrageous pricing)

Usually I am rooting for the typical hated teams to lose, like the Jets, Colts, Broncos, Ravens, and Steelers. Now I also look forward to the ratings results following the NFL telecasts, with the same level of ill-will, if not more. I can't wait to see the next ratings tank...can they sink lower? I would love to be a fly on the wall at the Fuhrer's office.

I'm guessing that many non die hard fans have been put off with the anthem protests, which might account for some of the ratings decline.

Of course putting MNF against the first debate would also account for a ratings decline.

It's funny the NFL is dumb enough to believe it has do with the national anthem protests rather than ten years of watching a moronic tyrant destroy the league.

Question for Bob Kraft: Are the fans of the other 31 paying you back for your cowardice? Glad you satisfied them?

I'm guessing that many non die hard fans have been put off with the anthem protests, which might account for some of the ratings decline.

Of course putting MNF against the first debate would also account for a ratings decline.

I do wonder how much, if any, is New England driven. If we removed NE from the analysis, would it still look as bad? I know a lot of people like me who still watch Pats games, but haven't watched a minute of gameplay of any other game so far this year, but who had in the past.

the game also had changed, before it was about 2-2.5 hours, now its a marathon, 3+ hours, a lot of dead time, between ball scratching and pitches, Became unbearable to watch at home, and boring as **** going to the games (and never mind the outrageous pricing)
I like watching baseball. Go Sox.

Shameless bump I guess, searched "flex-schedule" and this thread came up first. Didn't read it all but I'm curious. I was expecting the Pats/Browns game to be flexed to prime time and looked it up. The rules state that the decision must be made 12 days prior, this past Tuesday. What are the thoughts here regarding this opportunity to boost ratings?
I could be wrong, but thought they weren't able to flex games until later in the season.

I could be wrong, but thought they weren't able to flex games until later in the season.

From what I remember the new rules were games can start to be flexed Week 5 but only 2 can be flexed from Week 5-10.

I do wonder how much, if any, is New England driven. If we removed NE from the analysis, would it still look as bad? I know a lot of people like me who still watch Pats games, but haven't watched a minute of gameplay of any other game so far this year, but who had in the past.

That describes me this year, too. I'll watch the Pats, but change the channel or turn the TV off before and after. I also watched the Pats Thursday night game on twitter because I encourage streaming/discourage using companies like DirecTV, and it negatively affects their TV ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News