PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio: Early Season Ratings Decline Continues for NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, I have to think the NFL* and Omissioner have be secretly looking forward to Tom Brady's return to help boost ratings.

Wouldn't it be gr8 if Pats held Brady's return to the NFL* for ransom unless the NFL* met certain conditions prior to the Pats putting Brady back on the field?

Anyone remember "The Ransom of Red Chief" by O. Henry, where the parents of the kidnapped boy demand a ransom from the kidnappers to take the kid off their hands?

It would be, but revenge is a dish best served cold. Something tells me the consequences of the criminal behavior will come eventually, and not just in a ratings drop.

One time I asked Ken if he remembered what they used in street lamps when he was a kid..."kerosene" he told me....and then he went on and explained the invention of the light bulb, how street cars were propelled and the first time he saw a triplane in the sky. Yup, Ken has always been a veritable compendium of historical knowledge. Odd he's failed to keep up with the latest technological trends.(this post was made with a modicum of exaggeration)

Be honest, people.
Is there a single Patsfan subscriber that is surprised by this?
Not only was I not surprised, I was thinking, thank God someone else doesn't understand this crap either...

Not only was I not surprised, I was thinking, thank God someone else doesn't understand this crap either...

OK, then whatever you do, do not go over to the NSF Forum to discuss Musk's big Mars rocket plans.

One time I asked Ken if he remembered what they used in street lamps when he was a kid..."kerosene" he told me....and then he went on and explained the invention of the light bulb, how street cars were propelled and the first time he saw a triplane in the sky. Yup, Ken has always been a veritable compendium of historical knowledge. Odd he's failed to keep up with the latest technological trends.(this post was made with a modicum of exaggeration)
but not by much....and before you go on, J, fess up. You still remember when there were tubes in radios. ;)

heh...to be honest ,I still have a Fender Deluxe from the mid sixties...

fender-deluxe-reverb-amp-blackface-1960s.jpg

plus about a hundred of THESE laying around in the basement..."SIX TRANSISTORS!!!!"

bbb0fd6706a4dde1678eafa7e6255a50.jpg

plus about a hundred of THESE laying around in the basement..."SIX TRANSISTORS!!!!"

I remember how cool it felt as a kid having a transistor radio in bed at night, and shopping for transistor radios. The more transistors, the more powerful the radio. What was the maximum -- 12?

hell if I remember...I'm lucky I found my way home TONIGHT.:eek:

hell if I remember...I'm lucky I found my way home TONIGHT.:eek:
they have apps for that, but you'd have to get rid of your flip phone. :D

and find a 10 year to teach you how to use it.

I remember how cool it felt as a kid having a transistor radio in bed at night, and shopping for transistor radios. The more transistors, the more powerful the radio. What was the maximum -- 12?

I remember many a night in bed in Maine as a lad, with my transistor radio in bed with me as I caught a late Red Sox game.

I could even get the Detroit and Baltimore broadcasts at night.

they have apps for that, but you'd have to get rid of your flip phone. :D

and find a 10 year to teach you how to use it.
Actually, Joker has a smartphone and is always fiddling with the damn thing. Which is kind of undignified for a man of his ... er ... seasoning.

Back on topic, if I may...

Here's a PFT article discussing the possible reasons for the downturn. Unfortunately, I really don't believe it has anything to do with Framegate at all. After all, why wouldn't the ratings have fallen off last year (that's when I stopped watching or caring)? Sure, Brady got out of the suspension (temporarily), but that didn't really change the NFL's actions. They still did all that lying, framing, and over-punishing, it was a federal judge who tried to restore some fairness to the situation.

Judging by the number of people who tune in to the Olympics each year it's on, I'm going with the national anthem protests. A lot of people will tune in to almost any crap on TV, so long as it promotes the USA. Mess with that at your peril.

Why is TV viewership down?

Back on topic, if I may...

Here's a PFT article discussing the possible reasons for the downturn. Unfortunately, I really don't believe it has anything to do with Framegate at all. After all, why wouldn't the ratings have fallen off last year (that's when I stopped watching or caring)? Sure, Brady got out of the suspension (temporarily), but that didn't really change the NFL's actions. They still did all that lying, framing, and over-punishing, it was a federal judge who tried to restore some fairness to the situation.

Judging by the number of people who tune in to the Olympics each year it's on, I'm going with the national anthem protests. A lot of people will tune in to almost any crap on TV, so long as it promotes the USA. Mess with that at your peril.

Why is TV viewership down?
Olympic ratings weren't great, were people mad that the US let other counties compete too?

I remember many a night in bed in Maine as a lad, with my transistor radio in bed with me as I caught a late Red Sox game.

I could even get the Detroit and Baltimore broadcasts at night.

That's a fond memory for me as well. I was amazed when I could pick up WJX in Detroit and listen to Ernie Harwell call a Tigers game or Chuck Thompson call an Oriole game. Baseball is a great game on the radio.

Football is a great game for television and fewer people are watching TV and those who are have so many options. The audience erosion is finally starting to effect football ratings which was the last bastion of mass viewership. It will be interesting to see how NFL leadership deals with it.

Olympic ratings weren't great, were people mad that the US let other counties compete too?
It doesn't really matter whether they were great or not. The point is that absolutely nobody would be tuning in if it wasn't for the nationalism. Just like nobody tunes in to watch any of those sports when most of the same exact athletes are competing in all the other, non-Olympics competitions.

Speaking of throwback technology, I remember staying up late as a kid to watch Cinemax with the sound turned all the way down on my mom and dad's big screen TV.

Speaking of throwback technology, I remember staying up late as a kid to watch Cinemax with the sound turned all the way down on my mom and dad's big screen TV.
The innocence of childhood ... DOA.

Last edited:
Shameless bump I guess, searched "flex-schedule" and this thread came up first. Didn't read it all but I'm curious. I was expecting the Pats/Browns game to be flexed to prime time and looked it up. The rules state that the decision must be made 12 days prior, this past Tuesday. What are the thoughts here regarding this opportunity to boost ratings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes