PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio: Browns laying foundation for trade down (Garrett not their sure #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its hard for me to believe that BB will go into this draft with no 1st and 2nd rnd picks
Agreed.
Factor in no #1 last year either.

As NE fans, we have watched Belichick operate for 18 years and it is difficult to believe he has suddenly veered away from his team building playbook. I'll admit NE's fortunate cap surplus is a new paradigm for the team which opens up new avenues typically not explored. Nevertheless.....quality / cost effective / long term controlled, fresh bodies that can be molded into the Patriots' system with no residual effect are the underpinnings of a team's foundation and future.

I expect BB fireworks and my guess: both Butler and JG are the gunpowder.

Selfishly, I want a reason to watch Day 1 of the draft....and .... I want the mediots to ball-wash NE and BB nonstop as he picks at #1, #12, #32, and then at #33 :)

Last edited:
I was reading 'New England Patriots Could Land Richard Sherman in Wild Three-Way Trade on Draft Day' on FanSided for iOS and I thought you might be interested in reading it too.
New England Patriots Could Land Richard Sherman in Wild Three-Way Trade on Draft Day

Agree with this article

Browns: Jimmy G
Seahawks: 12 and 4th rounder
Patriots: Sherman(trade 12), 33, 2018 2nd

Follow up by trading Butler for Saints 2nd and a 3rd.

We'd leave the draft with Sherman, 33, 52, a extra 3rd and a future 2nd

I was just getting ready to laugh at the article headline, which is usually foreboding of a crazy reach, but this deal actually does make some sense. I don't think it's likely to happen, but it does give the teams what they (reportedly) want. The only potential issue is I don't think the market for Sherman is that high (12 overall) considering he only has two years on his contract and, while still somewhat of a good value, is not on his rookie deal. Cooks was traded for #32, and he is cheap for the next two years and younger. Perhaps a small change - with the Patriots keeping #12 and the Seahawks netting #33, would be more likely. There may be some mid round picks to account for that big value shift.

The number one pick in the draft for a QB who has played a game and a half is insane. And you want more on top of that? I know fans overrate their own players and prospect, but that's just ridiculous.

But it's totally sane every time a team uses the #1 pick for a QB who has exactly zero NFL games under his belt. Right?

Garoppolo is as good of a prospective starter as there is in the league right now. If you don't have a starting quarterback you trust, you're interested in Garoppolo.

These draftniks who expect the world on a plate for him in terms of draft picks are probably going to be disappointed in the return if he is traded. I really think these offers floating around are a result of Belichick throwing ridiculous prices around to scare off anyone who's not totally serious. I don't think 2 firsts is realistic considering the short time the team would have Garoppolo under control, and a trade with a conditional extension is probably going to cost less in terms of picks.

Since, while I believe we absolutely must keep an open mind, I fully believe Brady won't ACTUALLY decline on a favorable timetable for Garoppolo plans, I think he will be traded, either now or in the near future. For G's own sake I'm really hoping he winds up in a better place than Cleveland. My personal preference would be for him to wind up in Houston somehow. The Texan franchise needs a good quarterback and are in a position to treat Garoppolo right. And he'd probably be able to make that franchise one of the most respectable in the NFL if he lives up to his promise.

If Belichick thinks Garoppolo is a legit potential star, the cost to a team like Houston should be significantly higher than for a team like Cleveland. Because Cleveland will likely continue to be Cleveland, while Houston with a good to great QB could give the Patriots serious trouble in the post season. What's a better situation for Garoppolo shouldn't come into the thought process at all. He will be gone from the team and the only concern should be how his departure effects the Patriots. What picks he brings coupled with what potential trouble could he cause is the only concern.

Other teams should be thinking if they offer a good situation because they will have to resign him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back