PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fleger is pissing me off

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsFaninAZ said:
I don't know about all that. Are you telling me that in that same situation you would want BB to go for it? That is, 4th and 2, 1:20 left, at the 15 yard line? I think you have to kick there every time.

The question is whether you also should have kicked in the situation the Pats were in -- 11 yards further out and 35 seconds more on the clock. It's a lot closer there, and I agreed with BB's decision. That said, and I hate to agree with a weenie like Felger, I'm not sure I agree if we had Vinatieri on the sideline, and I'm not sure BB would have done the same.

Well the Colts struggled to run the ball, we didn't. If we hadn't done much in the running game all day, I think we would have seen a FG attempt. The fact that we ran with ease for most of the game made the decision much easier.

Remember they get the ball from where it was kicked.

rookBoston said:
Talk about totally misreading the situation. Does he even understand the game of football?

If the Pats had taken the 3 points, they would have gone up by 5 points, giving the ball back to the Bills for last minute heroics. That FG is almost worthless, except in Vegas. The only value in the game is that it would have taken a Buffalo FG out of consideration. It forces them to try for a TD.
I may be on an island here, but I totally disagree about whether the field goal was almost worthless.

In that situation, if you go for it on 4th down and are stopped, you are only up by two and Buffalo has the ball on the 26 yard line with 2:00 left on the clock. All they have to do is put together a modest 40 yard drive and they are at their own 34, within range of a game winning field goal. To me the safe play was to kick the field goal and depend on your defense to stop them from scoring a touchdown.

I thought that the reason BB didn't go for the FG is that he probably didn't want to put Gostkowski under that kind of pressure in his first game -- he doesn't have enough experience with him to depend on him to make the kick in that situation.

Last edited:
I knew all along that BB would go for it in that situation and I knew it would be the right choice. Marty Schottenheimer would have kicked the field goal.

BB plays the game to win when he has the lead

Marty Schottenheimer plays the game to not lose when he has the lead.

Thats why BB has 3 superbowl rings and Marty is a notorious playoff failure.

I agree with the premise of this thread -- to me this is just good aggressive playcalling, going for a certain victory deep in your opponents territory when you only need 2 yards, versus a FG to go up by 5 and then kickoff -- this is a slam-dunk.

To call this a lack of confidence in the kicker is....completely f-in ignorant.

nice job, Boston media!

Felger is about one thing, generating enough controversy for his ESPN talk show, I wonder how long the Herald will put up with this... it seems that all of the sports scribes at the Herald have a second job, I find it odd as their primary loyalty should be to the newspaper, not to the radio outlet.

Here's a quote from his article in today's Herald:
"Did it work out for the Patriots this time around? Only if you don’t care about winning a championship in 2006."

Well, he's already counting the Pats out for the season. This guy is a joke.

Mosi Moose said:
"Did it work out for the Patriots this time around? Only if you don’t care about winning a championship in 2006."

I must have missed either the front office or head coaching job Felger has ever held.

Mosi Moose said:

His entire article was so full of slanted information and incomplete data as to be barely digestible. Just don't bother with anything he says or thinks.

FELGER- "...I may be wrong here..."
BB interrupts - "I can't wait"....

Lets all take the hint!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll never second guess any call that BB makes on the field, so, as far as I'm concerned, he had confidence in his OL and Running Game and made the right decision. But saying that someone who disagreed with the call doesn't "understand the game of football" is just silly. If we hadn't made it, the Bills would have only had to move the ball 50 yards and not "the length of the field" to be within a FG of less than 40 yards. So, yeah, I can see how someone would wonder why BB made the decision.

PatsFanSince74 said:
I'll never second guess any call that BB makes on the field, so, as far as I'm concerned, he had confidence in his OL and Running Game and made the right decision. But saying that someone who disagreed with the call doesn't "understand the game of football" is just silly. If we hadn't made it, the Bills would have only had to move the ball 50 yards and not "the length of the field" to be within a FG of less than 40 yards. So, yeah, I can see how someone would wonder why BB made the decision.

BB has studied all situations and plays the percentages. Some day he will choose wrong but meanwhile the odds will have overwhelmingly been in his favor as the Ws mount. Twerps like Felger will pounce on that rare situation that does not work out.

Last edited:
A professor of Economics wrote a treatise on the idea of "Going for it on 4th down" and presented it to BB, who accepted it gratefully and incorporates it into his game decisions. Felger has no idea the depth of thought behind every sideline call, and is blowing the usual noxious air.

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:
I believe Pony has BINGO.

.... They know they have hard core football fans by the short hairs. It's the idiot sports fan demographic and the idiot casual or fringe fan they are all courting.

I believe MoLewis modestly has bingo.
As he puts it,
this is the same dynamic one observes in campaigns for political office:
the base knows they have nowhere else to go, so you can SAY
whatever might ignite the inert masses.

Then PatsWorldChamps said:
.... as a reporter, you can either have inside access, and get breaking stories (i dont have to say any names here, you all know who i mean)... or, you can cause controversy... which reporters get their names mentioned more? which reporters do more NE readers know?

THAT seems quite as plausible.

Which explanation comes closer to the truth?

People should just boycott Felger. The more he is talked about and the more Herald's he helps sell, the longer he'll be around.

If Felger upsets you sooooo much, stop reading his columns, stop sending him emails, stop watching his shows, stop listening to his radio show, do not watch his new football show, write FSN and complain and tell them you will no longer watch anything he is on - same with CBS. Watch the ratings fall. Watch Felger fall. Same shoudl be done with Borges. But no, you all just keep watching, reading and COMPLAINING.....and they laugh all the way to the bank. To get your message accross, it will take a COLLECTIVE effort.

Garbanza said:
If Felger upsets you sooooo much, stop reading his columns, stop sending him emails, stop watching his shows, stop listening to his radio show, do not watch his new football show, write FSN and complain and tell them you will no longer watch anything he is on - same with CBS. Watch the ratings fall. Watch Felger fall. Same shoudl be done with Borges. But no, you all just keep watching, reading and COMPLAINING.....and they laugh all the way to the bank. To get your message accross, it will take a COLLECTIVE effort.
Amen to that. When people complain about what a jackass he is, he laughs all the way to the bank. The Felgers and Borges' of the world want people to talk about what jerks they are because that encourages others to read their columns, listen to their radio show, watch them on TV, etc, etc.

Felger is now proving himself to be the douchebag he always used to be called on WEEI before his little wifey complained about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft